‹ Prequel: Bloody Memories
Sequel: Nightmare City

The Paris Escapade

Chapter 12 - Shot in the Dark

While Evangeline took care of sustenance, I decided to make haste and return Nora to her home. I wanted to do this quickly, so as not to let doubt have a chance to settle in my chest.

We left through the window, so Nora would not be observed by any of the other students. So far, most of the student body was unaware that there were vampires residing in the school, friendly or not.

I carried Nora, as her tiny legs were not as fast as mine, and she had little experience jumping from rooftop to rooftop.

We climbed up high and the whole of Paris lay before us. It had changed greatly over the centuries, and I was again reminded of how much I had missed while I was locked away.

“Thank you for bringing me there, Gabriel.” Nora said, switching back to French now that we had left Evangeline behind. “The school is wonderful, so many people all learning in one place, and the bigger ones looking after the little ones.” Her expression turned wistful, and she changed the subject. “Angie is nice as well. She is kind and very pretty.”

“Don’t be fooled.” I told her. “She doesn’t normally wear girl’s clothes.”

Nora smiled, it was becoming a habit for her. “You are funny. I like you a lot as well. I wish I could stay out a bit longer.”

“I don’t have to take you back.” Doubt slithered into my chest. How could I take her back to that place? Nora, my wife, had run headlong from it, seizing her first chance to get away, which had been me, that had come along. “I could find you another place to stay. We could even leave Paris.”

Nora’s eyes widened in horror. “No, I could never do that.” she said, shaking her head.

“You don’t have to be afraid of your father, or the Manigaults.” I said fiercely. “I promise that I will protect you from them.”

Nora continued to shake her head. “You are very sweet to say that, but you are mistaken. My place is at home with Father, and Véronique, and the others. We may not be a family like yours, but we are still a family.”

“Family?” I asked. What family? My oldest son is dead, my wife is dead, and my youngest son barely speaks to me. I don’t have a family anymore.” I said bitterly.

She smiled kindly. “I think you are not seeing the whole picture. You have someone who is close to you now, yes?”

I frowned at the little girl. “You’re talking about Evangeline. This time you are the one who is mistaken.”

She shook her head, her curls bouncing in front of her face. “I saw it myself. The two of you share a room.”

“That’s because Headmistress Brun does not trust me. Back in America, I have my own room.”

“But you still share a house, yes?”

“...yes.” I frowned. “Only because the deed is in Evangeline’s name. It’s technically my house.” I was still sore about that, mostly because Lucien would not transfer the deed over to me.

“You are making excuses.” she teased.

“Or she’s just more of a hassle than I am willing to deal with.” I grumbled.

“Is that not what family is?”

I twitched an eyebrow. “You have a funny way of looking at the world.”

“Of course! Before last night I had never seen it!”

“Touche.”

We reached the cemetery later than I had expected, mostly because I dawdled. I was more reluctant to bring her back than ever. I wanted so much to save her from her situation, but how could I save someone who didn’t want to be saved?

This Nora was my salvation. I could feel it down in my very bones. If I could just make her happy, then I could make up for what I had done to Nora. I could finally forgive myself.

I set her down in front of the Manigault tomb. “Listen closely.” I said, then carefully repeated my phone number to her. “If you want me to come and get you, for whatever reason, just call me and let me know.”

She gave me a coy look. “What happens if Angie and I call you at the same time?” She had been listening to the earlier exchange between Evangeline and I, it seemed.

“Evangeline can take care of herself.” I said at once.

“Ah, but so can I.” She crawled through the busted door. “Goodbye Gabriel, I will see you again soon.”

“Goodbye Nora.” I said quietly. I just stood there and let her go, even though it could be the last time I would ever see her. I let my salvation go, because that was what she wanted.

“Oh, and good luck.” she said before disappearing down the steps.

It was then that I felt a presence, seemingly from all around me. I half-turned, trying to pick up the exact location. Suddenly, the ground erupted under me, a viscous black shape spewing out from the dirt.

It wrapped itself around each of my calves, trying to pull me down. I recognized it as the same type of shadow monster that had attacked the school on my first night. Great, and not one shred of silver anywhere around me.

I tried attacking it with my claws. I sliced through easily, but it just coalesced and wrapped around my hands. I pulled on it, but it just stretched, never letting me go.

It was at that moment, that my phone in my back pocket rang. It was in my back pocket, where I couldn’t reach it.

This was turning out to be a hell of a night.

********

The early summer night air was clear and smelled fresh and pleasant. I decided against taking a cab. I wouldn’t be able to pronounce my destination. Besides, I wanted to try out the GPS on my new phone.

It didn’t look that far away. I bet I could walk it.

As I walked, I wondered what Kieran could be up to. He might be on reconnaissance, and unable to use his phone without giving himself away. I didn’t think he was in any real trouble. He was a hunter, and a pretty good shot, and he didn’t seem to lack weapons in that long coat of his. I was confident he could take care of himself.

Meanwhile I was walking around in Paris. I found myself in awe of the City of Lights. I was used to big cities, living so close to Manhattan, but Paris had been around for centuries. It was an old city. There were sleek, modern buildings next to historical sites that were probably older than Gabriel. It was a grand mixture of old and new and I felt it would take a lifetime to absorb all of it.

As I had thought, Kieran’s last known location wasn’t very far. That was somewhat troubling, that there was suspected vampire activity so close to the school, but that was probably normal under the circumstances. If you ran a vampire mafia like the Black Rose, a whole school of future hunters must really be a thorn in your side.

The address led me to what was unmistakeably a bar. I wasn’t sure what they were called in French, but the look of it was pretty obvious. The lights were low and the windows were small. Neon signs decorated the outside, a few of them I recognized as American beers.

I walked up to the door and put my hand on the latch. It didn’t look like a dangerous place, only dark. Would it be okay to just walk right in? I had my driver’s license on me, so why not?

I stepped inside, preparing for a scene out of a movie, where everything stopped and all eyes turned to me. To my relief, my presence was pretty much unnoticed.

The bartender spotted me. He was an older gentleman with salt and pepper hair, whose whole face crinkled as he smiled at me. “‘Ello pretty American tourist.” he said appreciatively.

“Is it that obvious?” I asked wryly.

“Your shirt says you are a fan of the Yankees.” he smiled again.

I looked down at my jeans and sweatshirt. “Oh well. So much for blending in.”

“What will you ‘ave?”

“I’m looking for someone. A young man.”

The bartender smiled broadly. He waved his hands to the rest of the bar. “Take your pick.”

I smiled, blushing slightly. I walked up to the bar and lowered my voice. “I mean I’m looking for a friend of mine. He’s tall, dark hair, wears a long coat.”

“Hmmm, I dunno.” He tapped his chin thoughtfully.

“While you think, why don’t you get me a drink?” I gave him the sweetest smile I could muster while I pulled out my wallet and put it down on the counter.

“All right! What will you ‘ave? I ‘ave many beers. Most variety this side of Paris.”

I looked down the long line of taps behind the bar. “I can see that, it’s an impressive display. Give me something local.”

He pulled me a pint and watched as I took a tentative sip. I smiled at him reassuringly, then he said. “So, what else can you tell me about this young man of yours?”

“He has an eye patch.” I said after I had swallowed. I wasn’t a drinker by any measure, and beer was usually at the bottom of my list, but this one wasn’t half bad. It was dark with a deep, almost nutty flavor.

“Ah, I think I know who you are talking about! ‘E was in ‘ere just last night.”

I nodded as I took another drink from my glass. “Did he mention where he was going, or if he talked to anyone?”

“‘E was speaking to another gentleman in the back. They were ‘aving a serious conversation, and both paid in cash. That is all I know.”

“Well, darn.” I huffed. My trail had already gone cold.

“You can ask the gentleman he was speaking to. He came in just an hour before you did.” The bartender nodded to the back.

“Thank you, I think I will.” I said, brightening. “After I finish my drink.” The bartender smiled. Then he went to take care of some other customers.

As soon as I was left to my own devices, one of the other patrons approached me, sitting down on the stool next to me. “You are American, yes?” he asked, his English broken.

I nodded. “New York, actually.”

His eyes widened in delight and surprise. “You know ,many, many vamous people, yes?”

I shook my head. “No, not-” I began, but he cut me off.

“You know Britney Spears?” he asked excitedly.

I shook my head. “I don‘t think she lives in New York.”

“You know Madonna, yes?” I shook my head again. “Vhat about Desyre?”

“Desyre?” I asked. “I don’t think I’ve even heard of her.”

He looked very surprised. “Desyre lives in New York! I saw ‘er on the TV.”

“I’ll take your word for it.” My drink was done, so I pushed away from the bar. “Good evening.” I said as I headed for the back.

I looked around, wondering if I was going to have to have the bartender point out the gentleman Kieran had been talking to last night for me, but the back room was empty except for one man, who sat at a table alone.

He was a very old man, thin and wrinkled. He sat up straight, but his hands trembled slightly around his full pint glass. His eyes were a watery brown, but they followed me sharply as I approached.

“Greetings.” I said with a smile. The man merely looked at me, not speaking. “Uh, Bonjour?” I tried again.

“I can speak English.” the man grumbled, turning to his glass.

I sat in the chair opposite him. He gave me a scandalized look. “I’m just going to take a moment of your time, Sir.” I reassured him. “You were seen talking to a friend of mine last night. I haven’t heard back from him since then and I wanted to check up on him.”

The old man’s eyes narrowed suspiciously. “What is your friend’s name?”

“Kieran.” I answered.

The old man gave me a long look. “Why are you looking for him?”

“His mother is very worried about him.” I said seriously.

He seemed to consider what I was saying. “One more question. Do you know who I am?”

I shook my head. “Not a clue.”

“That is good.” he said approvingly. He relaxed a little. “I did speak with him last evening.”

“I’m not going to ask what about, just where he went after.”

“He followed a group as they left.”

“Did you see where they went?” I pressed.

“I know where they were going.” He picked up a napkin from the table. I hurriedly grabbed a pen from my pocket and offered it to him. His eyes fell to my side. “Where did you get that?”

I pushed down my sweatshirt, hiding my silver gun at my hip. “I inherited it.” I answered vaguely.

He pulled out a large silk handkerchief and held his hand. “Let me see it.”

I shook my head. “I’m not that naive.”

He shook his hand in the air impatiently. “I won’t hurt you, child. I just want to see if you’ve been taking good care of her.”

“You’ll just have to take my assurances.” I said firmly. This guy was a gun nut it seemed, which might explain why Kieran was speaking with him. “Just tell me where Kieran went.”

The old man gave up with a sigh. He took my pen and scribbled on the napkin. Then he tossed it feebly at me. “Go on your way.”

I stood up. “Thank you.” I said simply. “I will leave you to enjoy your drink in peace.”

“Bah, I do not drink. The bartender insists that I buy something if I am to meet with people here.” He pushed it away. “You take it, with my blessing.”

“No, I think I’ve had enough.” I told him as I walked past. The pint I had earlier had worked it’s way through my system, giving me a pleasant buzz. “I’ll take your blessing alone.”

I passed through the front room. The bartender was busy, but my friend at the bar waved to me. “You know Christina Aguilera?” he asked. I laughed as I passed him and exited the bar.

The next address I would need a cab to reach. I hailed one down and handed the driver the napkin. He gave me a dubious look, so I handed him fifty euros. He took the money amicably and we were on our way.

The car trip took over an hour, and we moved into Paris’ equivalent of ‘the bad part of town’. I supposed that the entire city couldn’t be all magical ruins and cafes. The cabbie dropped me off, then hurried back into the heart of the city.

I looked around, taking stock of my surroundings. I was right near the river, the water gleaming under the moonlight. There were warehouses here, probably storing goods transported along the river. It was pretty dark, and deserted.

Erring on the side of caution, I decided to give Gabriel a ring. My confidence in my abilities to defend myself only stretched so far and this place practically screamed danger.

There was no answer, of course. When the voicemail picked up, I just hung up. Looks like I was on my own for now. I unholstered my gun and held it at my side as I walked slowly along the river.

There was no sign of Kieran, or anyone else, along the river. I headed over to the warehouses. There were half a dozen in this area, and I couldn’t check all of them in any reasonable amount of time. I looked around for some clue or sign that Kieran had been here at all.

In the distance, I heard gunfire. Well, that was a start. I hurried over to the warehouse it was coming from. I could make out muzzle flashes though a dirty window. Okay, I really needed Gabriel here now. I pulled out my phone and dialed his number again.

It rang and rang, until the voicemail picked up again. I pocketed my phone in frustration. What had been the point in getting me a phone and giving me his number in the first place?

Worry ate at my stomach. Perhaps the Manigaults had been waiting for Gabriel when he got back to the cemetery. It made sense. I hoped nothing had happened to him.

Worrying about Gabriel was a waste of effort for all the good it would do. It would make no difference if I cared or not. Right now, I had to focus on Kieran’s disappearance.

The window next to me shattered as a black shape flew out of it. I ducked down, avoiding the rain of glass. The shape turned out to be a body, lifeless and still. After a rough glance I decided it wasn’t Kieran. That was a good sign, I supposed.

I peered carefully over the window ledge, gun at the ready. The interior was pitch black, except for a strange violet light. It was small and bright, unmoving. As I watched, it suddenly went out. I ducked to the side, away from the window.

Okay, that was weird. What was I walking into? I back up, along the warehouse wall, keeping an ear out.

I backed right up into a solid object. “Careful.” it cautioned cheerfully. “I don’t want you to hurt yourself.”

I whirled around. “Kieran!” I hissed, putting a finger over my mouth. “Oh my god, keep your voice down!”

“What’s wrong?” he asked, not bothering at all to keep his voice down.

“Someone was just thrown out a window.” I whispered. “And I saw this strange light in the warehouse.”

Kieran looked over my shoulder and the figure lying on the ground. “That was me. I threw that papillon out the window when I heard someone outside.” His brow wrinkled in confusion. “I didn’t see any light.”

I gaped at him, then recovered with a jolt. “You almost hit me with a dead vampire!” I exclaimed.

“What were you doing lurking around outside?” he asked.

“I was looking for you, of course!” I punched him lightly in the stomach. “You haven’t been answering your phone.”

He reached into his coat pocket and pulled out a busted cellphone. “It was broken at some point, but I’m not sure when. It has been a hectic night.” He smiled at me cheerfully. “But, I am really happy it broke.”

“What? Why?”

“Because you cared enough to come and retrieve me.”

I stared at him for a moment, waiting for the punchline. Then I laughed. “Stupid, you’re mother has been worried sick.”

He leaned his face close to mine. “Oh? So you came all this way because Mother asked you?” He sniffed audibly. “Are you drunk?”

“Of course not. I had one beer.” I raised up one hand to push him away, but he caught my wrist. “Kieran...”

“Thank you for coming to rescue me.” he said fondly. He cupped my cheek with his free palm. His hands were warm and I could feel his breath on my face.

My heartbeat quickened and my breath hitched. Also, butterflies seemed to have taken up residence in my stomach. “You’re welcome.” I said nervously, not looking directly at him. I focused my attention on the ground. “Though I can see I wasn’t really much help.”

He kissed me then, a real, full kiss, a thousand times longer than the peck he had given me at the airport. I didn’t return the kiss, but I didn’t pull away either. I was caught somewhere in the middle, not even entirely sure that this was really happening.

“Was this really why you called me?” Gabriel’s dry voice came from above. “If you wanted to make me sick, surely there are simpler methods at your disposal.”

I pulled away from Kieran, my cheeks flaming, and looked up. Gabriel was perched up on the roof of the warehouse next door. “I found Kieran.” I blurted out stupidly.

“I can see that.” Gabriel just down to the ground lightly.

He looked a complete mess. His shirt was ripped and he was covered in black smudges. “Gabriel, what on earth happened to you?” I asked anxiously, hurrying over. “Were you attacked, why weren’t you answering your phone?”

He pulled out his phone, which was covered in what looked like black sludge. He snapped his wrist, throwing some of the sludge to the ground with a wet splat. He looked back at me and gave me a strange look. “Are you drunk?” he asked.

I rolled my eyes. “I had one beer. Seriously though, what happened to you? Were you attacked?”

Gabriel’s eyes narrowed. “I’d rather not talk about it.” he said darkly. I started to protest, but he cut me off. “Really, I’d rather put the whole thing behind me. Also, I want to get back and take a shower as soon as possible.”

“That’s fine, then.” Kieran said behind me. “Angie and I will meet you back at the school. My car is parked nearby.”

“I could come with you.” Gabriel said, his voice turning a few degrees cooler.

“Honestly, in the state you are in, you’ll ruin the upholstery.” Kieran said, just as coolly. He put a hand on my shoulder and led me away. I looked back at Gabriel, who was staring at Kieran, his expression unreadable.

As we approached Kieran’s car I shrugged his hand off my shoulder. “Kieran, I know things are different in France, but I’m not used to guys being so familiar with me.”

His expression clouded over. “You don’t like me.”

I held up both hands placatingly. “That’s not true. I don’t know if I like you. I think we should talk a bit more before you start...” My cheeks reddened again as I stumbled over the next word. “k-kissing me. When you think about it, you really don’t know much about me.”

“I’m a good judge of character.” he said. “And, you are also very beautiful.”

My blush deepened. Dammit, why did he have to make this more difficult? “Look, I’m really not looking for anyone right now...”

He sighed loudly, pulling out his car keys. “I promise to back off a little, but please don’t give me that tired speech.” He unlocked the passenger side door.

“It is not a tired speech.” I said indignantly. “I don’t go around kissing random guys.”

Kieran smiled. “You are even more beautiful when you’re angry.” He opened the door and gestured inside.

I blinked at him. “You’re absolutely hopeless.” I decided then. I gave up and got into the car. It had been a short, but tiring night, and I had a feeling it wasn’t over yet.
♠ ♠ ♠
This chapter was no where near as good as it could have been. Also, it was a labor to write. I am finding it difficult to concentrate lately due to the sound on my computer being busted. Without music to write to, I lose focus easily.

My apologies for this chapter lacking depth and breadth. The only good thing to say for it is the dialogue.