‹ Prequel: Bloody Memories
Sequel: Nightmare City

The Paris Escapade

Chapter 13 - Kill Gabriel

The ooze was covering my body slowly, but steadily. My struggles hindered it only slightly as it moved up from my hands and feet. Tendrils of black sludge continued to rise up from the ground, wrapping themselves around my shoulders, my knees. One thick arm wound around my torso, pulling me towards the ground.

I gritted my teeth as I fought against it. With the return of my vitality I had considerable strength at my disposal, but no leverage with which to use it. I was fighting a massive blob of gelatin; my blows had no effect.

I needed to think, to come up with something clever to defeat this monstrosity, the trouble was that I was using all of my faculties just fighting for my life.

What was this stuff? Where had it come from? I wracked my brain, trying to think clearly. Back at the school I had sensed something about it. It was vampiric in nature, and something else. I had passed out then or else I would remember!

It moved, but it wasn’t alive in the same way humans and vampires were. Perhaps it was like a plant. I got an idea then.

I slowly drew in a deep breath, pulling in more than just oxygen, I pulled in the life force of the things around me. It was a small amount to humans and animals, but devastating to simpler lifeforms like plants. Perhaps...

The sludge spasmed, instead of losing energy it seemed to gain vigor. It stopped trying to pull me to the ground, Instead pulling my hands and feet away from each other, till I was spread eagle, my limbs pulled taut.

The sludge continued pulling, trying to rip me in half, but I was tougher than that. I could feel my joints creak under the strain, but I could not be damaged in this way. Meanwhile, I had affected it with my breath. I inhaled again.

The ooze spasmed again, this time lashing out by covering my mouth with one thick tendril. The smell was revolting and I retched, my struggles renewed with vigor.

I wasn’t sure exactly how long I struggled; it felt like an eternity. A battle of strength that would rival that of the oyster and the starfish. My phone started to ring again, so I knew I had been here a while.

The body of sludge reared up, turning me upside down. I felt the phone slip from my back pocket and turned to it as it fell into the sludge. A picture of Evangeline flashed on the screen before it was enveloped in the goo.

The picture had been taken by Calypso. It had become an amusement of hers to take pictures of Evangeline doing mundane tasks around the house and sending them to my phone. The one I had set to her caller ID was of her trying to eat a hamburger while simultaneously trying to shield herself with one hand against Calypso’s voyeurism. It was a completely unflattering picture and I had found it amusing in it’s small way.

Now, I lunged for the phone, fighting tooth and nail as it sank further away from me. It was still ringing, the sound becoming more and more muffled. If I could reach it, answer it, perhaps I could shout and have Evangeline come here with some silver.

But it was futile, the phone was silenced, lost in the miasma. My struggles only allowed it to cover me more tightly. As one muscle it jerked, pushing me into the ground with tremendous force. Then it oozed over me, pressing my body into the ground. It covered my head and I could no longer see or hear.

I clawed blindly, desperately trying to break it’s grip. I managed to get my head free, and was startled to see someone standing over me.

One high-heeled shoe was inches from my face. My eyes travelled up a shapely leg to it’s owner, Véronique. She looked down at me in cold disgust, like I was a bug about to be crushed underfoot. “You are Gabriel?” she asked. My lungs were far to compressed to force words out, so I gurgled incoherently. “Father sent assassins to America to dispose of you. I asked, no begged, to go with them, but I was told to remain here and watch over the new Nora. How I have dreamed of this moment, of crushing the life out of you, of giving you the slow, painful death you deserve.” Her gaze were filled with a loathing that was beyond words.

“You thought you could come back and steal from us again. To take Nora from her father again.” Her eyes narrowed and her voice lowered to a deadly whisper. “You killed my sister, and now I shall enjoy killing you.”

Nora’s sister. My Nora’s sister. Before today I hadn’t known she existed, but here she was now, eagerly killing me. Had Nora kept up with her after we left Paris those two centuries ago? She had been so eager to leave it all behind, that I never realized that there would be those that would miss her.

While Véronique had good reason to wish me dead, I wasn’t going to lie down and take it. Perhaps a day ago I would have succumbed to the darkness that was now literally pressing down on me, but not now. Not now that I’d found my salvation.

It would take a very long time for the black blob to crush me to the point of killing me. Slow and painful was the point. I had time to think, to withdraw into myself, seeking some way out of this predicament. I had to possess some strength or ability that could subdue this monster.

The problem was my memory. I hadn’t attained a new ability in over fifty years, during a time when I buried every important memory I had. I didn’t have the energy right now to try to recall an ability I hadn’t used in all that time.

There was the new talent I had acquired most recently, from Montblanc. It was there, in a corner of my mind, waiting to be explored. I could put all of my energy, my blood, into invoking it, but would I be able to control it? I could easily tear myself apart trying.

It was that or be ground slowly into dust. I decided to try, concentrating all of my energy on the heavy blob covering me. I wanted to push it off, to get it away. It was awful, rotten and dirty, and I didn’t want it touching me anymore.

A shiver went through the blob, a ripple.

Then it exploded.

Pieces of it flew in all directions, black rain spattered down from the sky. I caught my phone as I got to my feet, tucking it safely back in my pocket.

Véronique stared at me in impotent fury. She did not attack me, though her whole body shook with rage. I waited, tensed, for her next move. She raised one hand and snapped her fingers, vanishing into thin air.

The minute pieces of ooze that covered every available surface in ten meters was beginning to quiver. I decided that retreat was the better part of valour and launched myself into the air. Hopping from tomb to tomb, I made my way swiftly out of the cemetery.

Evangeline was my priority now. She must have run into some danger while searching for Kieran, or else she wouldn’t have called.

She wasn’t very far from my location at all. It would only take fifteen minutes at the most to get to her, barring any other diversions.

I paused at the top of a particularly tall building, centering myself, eyes closed. I could feel a tug, a mental pull in her direction.

I opened my eyes, realizing what I was doing. It felt completely natural to be able to sense where she was, just because I wanted to. It was a familiar feeling, so much so that I hadn’t realized that I had no idea why I could do it.

It seems at least one of my lost abilities had found itself. I smiled to myself, then continued moving, keeping mostly to the rooftops. I wasn’t going to walk around on the street covered in black sludge.

My internal compass drew me further and further away from the tourist driven parts of the city, the part with warehouses and factories. Also, closer to the river, I saw with some unease.

Large bodies of water filled me with a dull terror that buzzed around in my head while I was anywhere near them. I would still be able to function, as long as the river kept it’s distance.

I surveyed the rest of the area. The large, unmarked buildings would make an excellent cover for any gang-like vampiric activities, but I found it hard to believe they would set up base so near water. Though, on reflection, it was something hunters wouldn’t expect.

I heard the crash of a window being shattered, and Evangeline’s voice to my left, so I headed that way. Upon my arrival I found that she was in no danger, from vampires anyway.

“Was this really why you called me?” I called down to her. “If you wanted to make me sick, surely there are simpler methods at your disposal.”

She pulled away from Kieran and looked up at me, her cheeks flushed with blood. “I found Kieran.” She blurted out.

“I can see that.” I joined her at ground level. My eyes were on Kieran, who was positively glaring at me. He wasn’t too happy with my interruption and I wasn’t sorry for him in the least.

“Gabriel, what on earth happened to you?” Evangeline asked, anxiety making her voice go squeaky. “Were you attacked, why weren’t you answering your phone?”

I pulled out my phone before she tried touching me. It was still covered in black sludge, which trembled slightly on it’s own. I flicked it off, letting it splatter on the ground. “Are you drunk?” I asked her, detecting a hint of alcohol in the air and eager for a change of subject..

She rolled my eyes at me, which I thought was probably her most annoying expression. “I had one beer. Seriously though, what happened to you? Were you attacked?” Her refusal to be railroaded was her most annoying personality trait. I hated how the two always seemed to come at the same time.

“I’d rather not talk about it.” I insisted. She started to protest, but I couldn’t take any more so I cut her off. “Really, I’d rather put the whole thing behind me. Also, I want to get back and take a shower as soon as possible.” Not even graveyard dirt had made me feel as filthy as this sludge did. Getting out of my hair would take half the night.

“That’s fine, then.” Kieran said, much too cheerfully. “Angie and I will meet you back at the school. My car is parked nearby.”

I felt a wave of malice emanate from him. It was more powerful than a human could normally muster, and it seemed he was pushing it in my direction. If I didn’t know better, I would call it a primitive form of influence.

“I could come with you.” I offered, dropping my voice a few degrees. It would be interesting to see how this malice manifested itself.

“Honestly, in the state you are in, you’ll ruin the upholstery.” Kieran replied offhandedly. He put a hand on Evangeline’s shoulder and led her away. She turned to look at me questioningly, but I kept my eyes on Kieran. I did not like him. His whole cheerful personality was just a cleverly designed facade. It covered him like armor, so that while I knew it was there, I could not pierce through and see the person inside.

I turned away and let them walk off. I had other things to think about. Nora should be safe, but it was clear that the Manigaults were after me. Véronique had mentioned assassins being sent back to America, to my home.

I dialed Calypso’s number on my phone, hoping it still worked. The call went through and she picked up on the second ring. “Gabriel, I’m genuinely surprised. To what do I owe the pleasure of this call?”

“Have you seen anyone strange near the house?” I asked her.

“Do you mean literally, or mentally?” she asked cryptically.

I closed my eyes, gathering what remained of my patience. “Both.”

“No, but I’ll keep my antenna up. Right now I’m having this really wild party...”

I knew she was baiting me, but I couldn’t let that go. “You’re not. I told you before I left, no parties.”

“Did you? I don’t remember... Uh oh, I think someone threw up on your bed.”

“I’m hanging up now.”

“No... tell me how Angie’s doing.” she whined.

I glanced back over at Evangeline, who was talking with Kieran outside of his car. She didn’t look happy. “She’s still alive.” I answered flatly.

“Oooo, someone sounds grumpy. Don’t like the new boy moving in on your turf?”

I started to roll my eyes, then stopped myself. Perfect, now I was picking up bad habits. “What turf? I don’t know what you are talking about.”

“We’ll see about that.” Calypso said smugly. There was something in her voice... she knew something I didn’t.

“What do you know? What’s going to happen?” There was a tiny click as she hung up.

I was so lost in my frustration that I didn’t sense the presence behind me until it was too late. I had just enough time to half turn my head before a fist connected with the side of my head strongly, sending me flying.

I landed on my rear, skidding backwards. My phone slipped from my hand and bounced off the pavement with a sickening crunch. My attacker stood over me, a tall vampire. He wore a black t-shirt over a muscular frame. His eyes shone red under his short, dark hair. “You are the one who killed Nora, yes?” he asked in French.

Not again. This was just going to keep happening, wasn’t it? How did they keep finding me? “Yes.” I answered, springing to my feet. I attacked then, landing some strong punches in the center of the vampire’s chest, but my blows didn’t faze him. His body was far sturdier than anything I had ever seen. It felt like I was punching concrete.

The vampire grabbed my arm and yanked me off my feet easily. He threw me like I was a toy. I sailed out, over the river, before falling like a stone.

I broke through the surface of the water and panic seized me at one. I scrambled wildly. Swimming was a skill I had never bothered to learn and my head went under. I had the sense to close my mouth, but the water still penetrated my nose, burning the more sensitive tissues immediately.

It seared my eyes and ears, pressing on my lips. I struggled, but it forced itself into my mouth. The intense pain that followed made my consciousness flicker like a candle flame. I felt myself slipping away and I couldn’t stop it. Darkness surrounded me and I knew no more.

********

“Before I go anywhere, are you going to tell me what you were doing all the way out here?” I asked.

“I don’t think I will.” Kieran said with a smile, still holding the passenger door open for me. I crossed my arms over my chest and gave him a long look. Kieran let go of the door, but his smile didn’t waver. “You will not find it pleasant to hear.”

“I’ll take my chances.”

He reached into a pocket, then handed me a small white card. I took it from him, examining it. It was emblazoned with the silhouette of a single rose. I turned it over. Two lines were typed neatly on the back: Gabriel has returned to Paris. Kill him.

“Gabriel?” I looked back at Kieran. “You mean...” I gestured with the card, pointing at my chest.

“Your Gabriel, yes.” Kieran replied. “He’s caused a bit of a ruckus among the Black Rose. In their haste to remove him from Paris, they’re making mistakes.”

“You’re happy about this.” I accused him.

He shrugged. “Of course. It’s drawn focus away from the school and made it easier for me to track down some of the more dangerous members.” He pulled more cards from his coat.

“Just how many of these are there?” I asked in growing alarm.

“I’ve found dozens. There’s probably hundreds all over the city.”

I let out a shallow breath and was having trouble drawing another. “Gabriel’s in danger, every vampire in the city is after him.” I turned back to Gabriel, just in time to see a large vampire attack him from behind.

The fight was quick, and Gabriel was the one who lost. As he flew through the air, I started running towards the river. Gabriel hit the water hard, then sank quickly.

Gunshots sounded behind me. I spun around. Kieran wielded dual pistols, firing rapidly into the large vampire. I turned away. Kieran could take care of himself, meanwhile Gabriel was drowning.

I pulled off my sweatshirt and tossed it to the side. I removed my sneakers next. “Angie, get away from there!” Kieran called to me over the gunshots. “He’s already gone!”

I ignored him. Gabriel showered regularly. Water didn’t affect him the way it would younger vampires. His age made him resistant. There was still time.

I dove off the edge of the pier, cutting into the water cleanly. During summer vacations in High School I had worked as a lifeguard at the community pool, I wasn’t an exceptional swimmer, but I knew how to pull someone out of water.

I swam out to where Gabriel had disappeared under the water, adjusting for the speed of the current. Then I took a deep breath and dove down.

The water was black and murky. I couldn’t find him before I had to return to the surface for air. I took another lungful and dove back down. On my second attempt, I managed to grab onto his arm. I sank further down to him, wrapping my arm around his chest.

Swimming back to the surface with Gabriel was an arduous task. He was more than just a dead weight, he was heavier than most people his size.

As the seconds ticked by my lungs burned, aching for air, but I wasn’t going to let him go. We ascended painfully slowly, my limbs growing heavier and heavier. My body was about to give out, but I put everything I had left into one final push, and my head was clear.

I drew in deep ragged breaths, choking on water and air. Adrenaline coursed through my veins and I fought to get to land. We passed under a pier and strong hands grabbed my arm and hauled me up.

Kieran pulled me out of the water. I stumbled, then fell to my knees, breathing hard. “Get Gabriel.” I said hoarsely between gasps.

“I’ve already got him.” Kieran grunted. He dumped Gabriel’s lifeless body onto the dock next to me. “I’m afraid it’s too late.”

“He always looks like that.” I answered flippantly, thought I couldn’t cover the worry in my voice. Gabriel’s skin was paler than normal, and he wasn’t moving. “He’ll heal.” I pushed my sopping hair out of my face.

“He has water is in his lungs.” Kieran said doubtfully. “His skin might be tough, but it’ll burn through his insides. If it hasn’t already. No amount of healing will make it go away.”

“Then I’ll get it out of him.” I turned Gabriel over, onto his chest. I braced both hands on his back and leaned all my weight onto him.

Red-tinged water poured out from his mouth and nose. I gritted my teeth, keeping pressure on his back. Kieran sighed and placed his hands over mine, adding his weight. Finally the flow of water stopped and I turned Gabriel back over. “Give him a bit to heal.” I said, wiping dripping water from my face with my hands.

“We shall see.”

After a full minute, Gabriel still didn’t stir. In frustration, I slapped him across the face. He turned onto his side then, and groaned.

Relief flooded my muscles, finally allowing me to relax. “You scared me for a second there.” I told Gabriel frankly.

“I was pretty terrified myself.” he answered huskily, sitting up. He coughed up a little more water, though it was mostly blood. “I never want to go through that again.”

The night air brushed against my bare arms and cut right through my wet clothes. I realized now that I had been shivering since I got out of the water, and now my teeth were starting to chatter. “I have a blanket in the trunk.” Kieran said gently. “You do not want to get sick.”

I let him help me to my feet. Gabriel got to his feet as well. He pushed his hair out of his eyes and made a face. “Hopefully I can stand to take a shower after this.” he commented.

“You’re welcome.” I told him, though my chatter made me stutter.

He paused, his hand still in his hair. “I’m lousy at saying thank you.”

“I noticed. Will I be getting a phone this time, too?” My eyes widened. “My phone! I better make sure it’s okay.”

I hurried over to where I had tossed my sweatshirt and shoes, while Gabriel followed Kieran to the car. I pulled my phone out of the sweatshirt’s pocket and and was relieved to see that the screen wasn’t cracked. In fact, it wasn’t damaged at all, because it rang while I was holding it.

I pushed my wet hair to the side and answered it. “Hello?”

A sweet, melodic voice came from the phone, singing in French.

“Who is this?” I asked in confusion. I checked the caller ID, but didn’t recognize the number.

As I continued to listen. the song wound its way around my mind, till all other thoughts were quieted. I felt a pull, deep in my chest. I stood up slowly, angling towards that pull.

In the shadow of one of the warehouses, I saw a figure standing. It was a black silhouette with messy hair and deep red eyes. “I know you...” I whispered softly.

I walked towards the figure, the phone clamped to my ear. The song continued, and now I couldn’t bear to be without its sweetness. Gravel dug into the bottoms of my feet, but I paid it no attention. I walked, and the shadow led me away.