‹ Prequel: Bloody Memories
Sequel: Nightmare City

The Paris Escapade

Chapter 15 - A Dark Love

I bent down and picked my phone up off the ground. The screen was cracked, and the side was coming off. “Dammit to hell.” I muttered. I would have to wait until I got back to New York to get a new one, but that wasn’t the worst of it. Lucien had given me this phone, the only gift I had ever received from him.

I looked over at the fallen vampire who had thrown me into the river. He had about a dozen holes in him. If he hadn’t already been dead, I would have beaten the life out of him.

Evangeline had fallen behind. Kieran had retrieved the blanket from the trunk, but she still hadn’t reached the car. I turned to tell her to get moving, and was surprised to find her gone.

I stood up, looking around. Her sweater was lying on the ground a few yards away. I sprinted over and bent down to pick it up. I looked around again, but still did not see her.

I closed my eyes, trying to feel for her with my internal compass, but her presence was gone. Dammit, why couldn’t I find her now? I still couldn’t remember exactly how this power worked.

“What’s wrong? Where is Angie?” Kieran asked, concern in his voice.

“Give me your phone.” I opened my eyes and ran over to him.

“What?” The hunter looked offended. “Why?”

“Just give it to me!” I snapped. I wasn’t going to wait, I reached into his coat pocket and grabbed it myself, dialing Evangeline’s number quickly.

“What do you think you’re doing?” he asked indignantly.

“Just shut up!” I quieted him. Faintly, I could hear Evangeline’s ringtone, over by the warehouses. I ran over to the building, following the sound. A flashing light glowed on the ground, just in the shadow of the building. I bent down and picked up the phone, silencing it.

“Well, where is she?” Kieran demanded, running up behind me.

I straightened up. I turned, but didn’t look at him. “She’s gone.” As I walked past I shoved his phone into his chest.

“Gone?” he asked in disbelief. “She was soaking wet, where would she go?”

“Obviously, someone took her.” I said. “She wouldn’t leave unless someone forced her to.”

“We have to follow them.” Kieran said. “It’s only been a few minutes, how far could they have gone?”

“Far enough. I can’t sense any presence anywhere near here. I can’t track them.”

“This is your fault.” His voice took on a deadly edge. “They took her to get to you.” He grabbed my shoulder roughly.

I shrugged him off, turning and facing him. “That was probably the idea, but she didn’t even call for help. It’s her own fault if she just walks into danger.”

“You don’t even care, do you?” He shoved my chest hard with both hands. My lungs reacted by feeling as if they were on fire again. It would be a while before they fully healed.

I shoved him back, hard enough to make him fall backwards. The pain in my chest spurred me not to hold back. “Of course I do!” I shouted at him. My hands clenched tightly; I was in danger of crushing Evangeline’s phone. With effort, I brought myself under control. “They took something from me.” Kieran gave me a questioning look. “Not what they think, but still something that belonged to me. I’m going to get it back.”

I turned away from him and jumped up to the roof of the warehouse. It took more of an effort than it usually would, but I cleared the ledge. I pocketed Evangeline’s phone, her sweatshirt still in my hand.

Evangeline had dragged me out of my wife’s clutches. She had dragged me out of my depression. She had even dragged me out of a river. We could never agree on anything and she was a pain in my side most days, but without her sheer stubbornness I wouldn’t be here. I didn’t have anyone else to drag me out of trouble.

I would find her, there was nothing else to be done. The one who took her had better pray that I find her unharmed.

********

Consciousness came slowly, with the sound of voices. “Isn’t she beautiful, Father? You will let me keep her, right?” a young male voice asked eagerly.

“You should not have brought her here.” an older male voice replied. “She was our only connection to Gabriel while he is in Paris. I cannot track his movements anymore. Her only use now is as bait.”

“I’m sorry, Father, but I could not help it. I followed Diedrich, hoping just to catch a glimpse of her. I saw her throw herself into the water to save the bastard that killed Nora.” His voice grew more passionate. “She nearly drowned. I don’t want to lose her, I had to take her away!”

There was a heavy sigh. “I knew that this task was too much for you. I should have learned from the last time.”

“But Father, can I still have her, please?” His voice broke with pleading. “After you are done with her, I mean.” His hopefulness was almost heartbreaking. “If she lives.” Soft fingertips trailed down my cheek.

I tried to shy away, but all I could manage was a flinch. I opened my eyes slowly. A dark silhouette was leaning over me. Messy hair fell over dark, brownish red eyes. My vision cleared and the dark silhouette melted away into shadow. Black hair was replaced by curly hair the color of wheat. I could not see his eyes, as they were both covered by a black cloth tied around his head.

I sat up as adrenaline kick-started my system. “Where am I?” I demanded.

The room I was in wasn’t very large, and dimly lit. It looked like a study, with two walls covered in bookcases and a large desk in the center of the room. A shadowy figure sat behind the desk, his back to us.

I was on a leather couch with the blind vampire, who was sitting and had been supporting my head and shoulders on his lap.

The vampire looked young, a few years younger than I was. His pale, bare arms were long and bony, like a boy who was suddenly growing into a young man. His hands were large, with long fingers. He reached out one hand gently to me, speaking in French.

“I don’t speak French.” I said, scooting down to the other end of the couch. I looked around warily, ready for the first sign of danger.

I took stock of my bearings, and discovered that my clothes were gone, replaced with a long white nightgown. My hair was clean and dry, hanging loose down my back. Of course, my silver glove and gun were not with me.

The blind vampire shifted to his hands and knees, crawling towards me. He reached out to me again, still speaking in French.

I bolted up to my feet. “You were just speaking English a minute ago, I heard you.”

The vampire put one finger to his mouth, making a shushing gesture. He rose to his feet, his expression extremely gently. He held out both hands, reaching down and taking one of mine. His French immediately switched to English. “-hurt you, I promise. Just hold my hand and we can talk.”

I stood there warily, ready to make a run for it. My whole body was tensed, waiting for an attack. “Touching you lets me understand French?” I asked.

He nodded, smiling broadly with my understanding. “And I understand your English as well.” He lifted a hand and brushed the back of his fingers against my cheek.

I took a half step back. “Where am I, and why am I here?”

His smile turned tender. “I rescued you from that monster, the one who calls himself Gabriel.”

I stared at the vampire for a long moment. He had a serene smile on his face. It was obvious that his mental state was somewhat... fragile. “...right.” I said. “Let me guess, you’re not letting me leave, either.”

“I’m glad that you understand so quickly, I knew you were as intelligent as you are beautiful. You are in my home. I live here with Father.” He gestured to the desk. His father did not turn to greet me. The blind vampire frowned. It was strange how he moved and reacted as if he could see, even though both eyes were covered. “Father, please.”

The chair did not turn. The blind vampire’s hand tightened around mine. “I will show Evangeline to her room, then.” He turned and headed to the door, taking me with him.

We were out in the hall, then, and walking rapidly. “Hold on a second.” I said, resisting. “You’re going to make me trip.” He stopped and I ran into his back. “Where are my shoes?” I just realized my feet were bare.

“Your clothes were ruined. I threw them out for you.” He started walking again, at a pace I could keep up with.

“They were only wet.” I said angrily. “More importantly, they were mine. You have no right throwing away my things. What about my weapons?”

“I gave the gun and glove to Father, to partially make up for what I have done.” He stopped outside of a door. “You should be grateful to me. I will be punished severely for rescuing you.”

“I didn’t need rescuing.” I said hotly. “I was saving a friend’s life and you hypnotized me. You snatched me off the street, just like a criminal.”

He turned to me, wearing an expression of infinite patience. “Evangeline, you don’t realize it, but if you continue to stay close to Gabriel, you’ll be killed.” His expression saddened. “I don’t want that more than anything else.” He opened the door and stepped into the room.

“That’s another thing! How do you know my name? I don’t know who you are.” I almost ripped my hand out of his, but remembered that I wouldn’t be able to understand his answer if I did.

“You do know who I am.” he replied. “We’ve met dozens of times. I will have looked different though, because my appearance would become whatever was already in your mind.”

I stared at him, recalling his shadowy shape when I woke up. “You’re the one that was in my dream.” I said slowly, not sure if I was believing it. “I thought that was...”

He smiled toothily, looking more and more like a goofy, blind, teenager. “Yes! That is exactly right. I’ve met you many times over the past months.” He leaned close to me, his voice dropping to a whisper. “What did I look like? Who was I in your dream?”

He looked so excited, that I felt the color rising to my face. “You were just a shadow. You didn’t look like anyone.”

His face fell in dissappointment, then brightened up again almost immediately. “Then, you do not have someone special in your heart? That is perfect, it means that we are meant for each other.” He took my other hand in his as well. “This is our destiny.”

He didn’t look to me like someone who was enamored by love. He looked more like he was high, and it was making me increasingly alarmed. “Is that so?” I asked nervously. “I-I don’t even know your name.”

“I am called Dimitri.” He carressed my cheek again. “I have to leave now, to take care of Father, and to apologize again. If we are very lucky, he will let me keep you. Until then, this will be your room.” He shifted around till he was in the doorway and I was in the room, then he backed away, reluctantly releasing my hands. “Au revoir.” he said sadly, then closed the door. I heard a click, then quick footsteps down the hall.

This situation was getting worse the more I understood it. Gabriel had nearly drowned, he had to still be in pain. He was going to need help getting back to the school safely. Every vampire in Paris was after him, and he was in a vulnerable state. He needed me with him and I was stuck in some vampire stronghold, or at least a decent sized townhouse.

He and Kieran must have known right away that I disappeared, what did they do when they found out? Were they planning on rescuing me? I didn’t know where I was, so I doubted that they would find out easily.

Still, there was no reason to just sit still and bemoan my fate, waiting for one of them to come to my rescue. I had to rely on myself as well.

I hunted around the room for anything that might be useful. I didn’t know lockpicking, but maybe I could find something to break the lock with, or unscrew it from the door.

It was a nice, if small room. There were no windows, and the walls were brick. The air was damp and slightly chilly. I hazarded a guess that we were underground. I spotted a wardrobe in the corner and threw the doors open, looking for something better to escape in than a nightgown.

There were clothes in the wardrobe, women’s clothes, but I wasn’t sure if any of them would fit me. There were pants, slacks, and white button down shirts, but they belonged to a woman who was taller than I was, and who had more of an hourglass figure. Whose room was I in anyway? And what would I say if they came back?

I pulled off my nightgown and pulled on one of the shirts. After a lot of hunting I found a pair of binyl pants that fit me rather well, but would have been skin tight on their owner. I buttoned the shirt up all the way and rolled up the long sleeves, then I searched for shoes.

Luck was with me as the shoes were only a half size bigger than my own. They were all high heeled though, which was a problem for a speedy escape. I chose a pair of boots with a thick heel and prayed for the best.

Now for some gear. I looked under the bed and in both nightstands, but could find nothing that would help me escape. I broke open a jewellry box, but of course everything was gold or platinum. I took a set of large hairpins anyway: they might come in handy. I also found a hair tie and pulled my wild hair up into something more manageable.

There were no windows in my room, but there was a ceiling vent. I stood underneath it, examining it. It was rather old, perhaps I could open it and climb up.

I pulled over a chair and tested it for sturdiness. Once I was satisfied it could hold my weight without wobbling I climbed up and examined the vent more closely.

The ceiling was low, so I was able to reach the vent easily. I saw that it was held in place by four wide screws.

I hopped down from the chair and searched the room again. In the small desk in the corner I found a letter opener. The blade was dull, but it might fit into the screws. I ran back over to the vent.

The letter opener was thin enough to fit the screw, but it was hard work turning it, as it kept slipping out. I worked at it until my arms were numb and my back and shoulders ached.

When the last screw was out I nearly sobbed. I tossed the vent onto the bed and hoped I had enough feeling left in my arms to haul myself up. With great effort I scrambled up into the vent, making a good bit of noise as I did so. Once I was up, I held very still and caught my breath. I listened carefully for the sound of someone entering the room below. All was quiet.

There was just enough room to crawl on my belly. Cautiously, I slithered down the vent, gripping the letter opener tightly. I wasn’t claustophobic, but I could still feel the walls pressing in at me from all sides.

It was grimy and dusty up here as well, with the occasional cobweb. My nose burned with each breath.

After a few turned and a couple of crossroads, I found another vent opening. I looked down at the room below. It appeared to be a nursery. The room only had one occupant, a golden-haired child bent over a coloring book.

Relief washed over me. “Nora.” I whispered softly. “Nora, let me out of here, please.”

Nora looked up at me, and her expression was strange. Her golden eyes looked dull, her face expressionless. Still, she hopped up and ripped the grate right out of the ceiling in one movement.

I twisted a bit and dangled my legs out of the vent, then dropped down to the floor. “Thank god I found you.” I said, still whispering. “I don’t know what’s going on here, but I was kidnapped by a guy named Dimitri.” Nora merely looked at me, her eyes grew cold. “Nora, what’s wrong?” I asked, worried.

“Father explained it to me. He told me what happened six months ago.” Nora said softly. I felt my stomach drop. “Gabriel killed the last Nora... and you helped him.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the hiatus. My life imploded on me.