‹ Prequel: Bloody Memories
Sequel: Nightmare City

The Paris Escapade

Chapter 2 - Intruder in the Night

It was the dead of the night, dawn was slowly approaching, creeping steadily closer to my Long Island home. It was the one time of the night that the entire house was still, the time when the vampire’s sleeping schedules overlapped my own. Why was I awake now?

There was a presence in my room, foreign and yet familiar. I couldn’t pinpoint exactly where it was, but I could feel it. Oddly, I wasn’t afraid or concerned, only curious.

I could see nothing out of place in the curtain-filtered moonlight. Everything in my room was where it should be. The wooden desk underneath the one window, with it’s lamp and laptop, closed and set neatly aside. Great Aunt Katrina’s journal was there, as I had left it. The white closet doors were shut tight, the moonlight making them glow, adding an ambiance of light to the room.

Where was Callie? Hadn’t she been with me when I went to sleep? She had her own bedroom, but often I would wake up with her next to me, covers pulled up over her head. It was dangerous for her, since I refused to cover up my window and even the smallest ray of sunlight could scorch her skin. I told her this many times, but it hadn’t deterred her.

Now, her absence was marked and strange. Had she gone into her own bed for once, away from the approaching dawn? If that was the case, who was in the room with me now?

I rolled onto my back, then tried to sit up. I stared up at the ceiling, unable to move any further. I was still calm, which I thought was strange in a distant sort of way. Perhaps I was just dreaming, that would explain my lack of concern.

A figure leaned over me, the moonlight at his back, his face shrouded in darkness. I wasn’t surprised that I could see him now, he had been there the whole time.

Long, black-clad legs climbed onto the bed with me, knees straddling my hips. The mattress didn’t dip, the comforter remained undisturbed. He had no substance under this moonlight.

He pressed his hands onto the mattress, on each side of my shoulders. He leaned his face down, pausing before we touched. I could see his eyes clearly, deep ruby red orbs and ebony centers. There was such pain there, that my heart ached from the sight of it, and I felt my breath catch.

I lifted my hands up, my pale skin bleached to a glowing white under the moonlight. “Gabriel...?” I whispered softly.

My eyes popped open. I was staring at the closet doors, thin fingers of morning sunlight creeping along them. I was laying on my side, my comforter tightly wrapped around my body.

I tried to sit up, and promptly fell to the floor. The air whooshed out of my lungs. I frantically freed myself from my covers.

I got to my feet, looking around my room wildly. My breathing was quick and heavy. What the hell had that been?

My hands tightened, clutching my comforter in a death grip. I gave my bed a dark look, almost accusatory, then dumped the comforter on it, not caring how messy it was. I rubbed my face with both hands hard, making sure I was completely awake, then I ran them through my hair.

Out of the corner of my eye, I could see my bedroom door was open a crack. In on step I was at the door. I yanked it open, looking out into the hallway.

No one was there.

My eyes darting all around, I crept down the hallway to Gabriel’s door. I pressed my cheek against the cool wood, listening intently.

All was quiet.

My heartbeat slowly calmed back down to normal speeds. It had only been a dream. A confusing, disturbing, impossible, ridiculous nightmare.

Well, I certainly wasn’t going back to sleep any time soon, my bed felt somehow tainted now. I decided to go downstairs, perhaps get in some guitar practice while the vampires weren’t around, being all smugly superior.

Very little sunlight bled through the curtain covering the living room’s one wall-window, but there was enough light for me to make out a dark silhouette laying on the white couch. It rose to a sitting position as I entered.

Panicked, I rushed to the light switch, quickly flipping it on. When I saw who it was, however, my heart immediately lightened.

“Chris!” I shrieked. I ran over to my brother, jumping up and wrapping my arms around his neck. He was nearly two feet taller than I was, so my feet dangled, my toes not touching the floor.

He wrapped his huge arms around me in a bear hug. “Evie!” He cried happily in return.

I untangled my arms and took a step back. “What the hell are you doing here? I thought you were overseas, fighting ex-nazis or something.” I punched him in the arm, though not too hard, or I might break my hand.

You could use a lot of words to describe my brother. ‘Friendly’ and ‘crazy’ for instance. You would never use the words ‘petite’ or ‘small’ though, unless you were hoping to start a fight. Before Chris left a few years ago to go overseas he had been fairly buff, now he was built like a tank. He wore a faded pair of blue jeans and a white T-shirt that was much too tight around his massive shoulders. His dark hair was shaved close to his scalp in the classic military style.

“What have they been feeding you?” I asked, looking him over.

He laughed lightly, his pale blue eyes twinkling. “I’m all done, till they call me back into the trenches at least. And what about you?” He poked my stomach teasingly. “You look like you haven’t been eating at all.”

“I tell her all the time.” Callie’s voice came from the kitchen. She sat at the kitchen table, a book open in her hands.

“Callie!” I cried, startled. “Have you been down here this whole time?”

“Someone had to put on the tea.” Callie gestured to the stove top. Sure enough, a kettle was sitting on top of a lit burner.

“Callie let me in.” Chris explained. He laughed heartily. “She opened the door right as I was about to knock and offered me lemon tea.” Lemon tea was Chris’ favorite. Of course Callie had known that.

There were times when Callie could see the future, usually when something important was happening. She had explained it to me once, that there were times when the actions people took led to an inevitable outcome, and she merely read those signs, but to me it looked like something from science fiction.

Chris’ smile was relieved. “When Mom told me you had a room mate, I thought... Well, from the way she sounded...” He seemed to be having trouble with his words. “I didn’t expect Callie.” He finished with a grin.

“No one ever does.” Callie said cryptically. She rose from her chair just as the tea kettle started to whistle.

“Mom knew you were coming back? Why didn’t you tell me?” I had been keeping up with Mom via letters and emails. She knew about Callie, and I had mentioned Gabriel... vaguely. I, of course, had said nothing about them being vampires. Now I found out she had been keeping secrets as well.

“I wanted to surprise you.” Chris pretended to look wounded.

“Well, I’m definitely surprised.” A broad smile spread across my face. “It’s good to see you.”

Callie set a steaming mug on the counter at Chris’ elbow. She yawned lightly and stretched. “I think it’s about time for me to retire.” she announced. “It was a pleasure meeting you, Chris.” She headed for the stairs.

“It’s morning.” Chris protested. “Don’t tell me you’re just going to bed now.”

“Oh yes, I hate mornings.” Callie said. “Afternoons as well.”

“Huh...” Chris turned to me. “She’s a real night owl, I suppose?”

“You could say that. You did drop in suddenly, you know.”

“Yeah, I guess.” Chris picked up his tea and downed it in one gulp. “That’s good. Just the right amount of sugar.”

“Callie’s good like that.”

Chris put one huge hand on the top of my head. “I’m glad to see you’re doing all right, Evie.” He smiled gently. “I was worried about you.”

I stepped out from under his hand, smiling self-consciously. “Why would you be worried?”

“You know, about Daniel.” Chris’ expression darkened. “I wanted to make sure you weren’t still hurting.”

I hugged my arms to my chest, feeling a sting of pain I hadn’t felt in a long time. It was a reflex, from a different time, in a different place. “Are you kidding?” I forced a smile. “That was last year. So much stuff has happened since then, I don’t even think about it anymore.”

“He was your first boyfriend. That’s always going to mean something.”

I shrugged easily. “He just hasn’t been on my mind.”

“Why? Seeing someone new?” He joked.

I laughed loudly. “No way.” I crossed my arms in an X in front of me. “Did you see the size of my little town? There’s no guys around for miles.”

“Yeah? Then who’s that?” Chris pointed over my shoulder.

I felt my stomach drop a little as I turned and looked. With timing that had to be intentional, Gabriel took that moment to shuffle into the room. He wore a dark green t-shirt and gray pajama pants. His hair was tousled, and he yawned sleepily.

“What are you doing up at this time of day?” I asked suspiciously.

“Can’t sleep with you two roaring at each other.” Gabriel answered blearily. “Gonna go unlock Seattle.” He picked up the remote and turned on the TV.

“We’re not ‘roaring’, we’re conversing.”

“Conversing loudly.”

I huffed out a breath, then turned back to Chis, who was looking expectant. “You’re not going to introduce me to this guy who is obviously living with you?” He asked.

“Oh, Gabriel’s not a guy, he’s nobody.” I waved my hand.

“Really?” Chris looked over my shoulder again. “He looks like a guy to me. Though he does look a bit on the frail side.”

I could almost feel Gabriel’s back stiffen from across the room. Having lived with the vampire for over six months, I had developed a sort of six sense for when he used his influence. For instance, when Steven, Ricky, or Cass was around, Gabriel would use his influence to hide his fangs and unnaturally pale skin. The greatest defence against a vampire’s influence was to know about. Since I was so used to him using it, I could feel it from a distance, even when I wasn’t looking at him.

Right now, a dangerous aura rolled through the room. Chris wasn’t the type to be intimidated, though. When he felt the change in the air, his eyes narrowed.

Sensing the storm that was brewing, I hastily wracked my brain for a change of subject. “So, have you seen mom yet?” I asked much too brightly. I was trying to cover my unease, and failing.

Chris focused his attention on me, and Gabriel’s aura subsided. I heard him starting up the game, and relaxed slightly.

Chris had apparently decided that he wanted a cold drink, since he opened the cupboards till he found a glass and the lemonade mix.

I leaned my elbows on the other side of the counter and watched my older brother make himself a glass of lemonade. He read the instructions on the side of the can, his lips forming the words silently. He added the required amount of powder to his glass of water and stirred it with a spoon. He downed the glass in two gulps, then made a face.

He picked up the can and read the front. "Twenty percent less sugar than leading soda drinks..." He read aloud, frowning. "We'll see about that." He reached across the counter and pulled the sugar bowl over. I watched him add two teaspoonfuls to his glass in amused disbelief.

Finally he turned his attention back over to me. "You'd think for six bucks a can, they wouldn't gyp you on the sugar."

"Some people are actually trying to consume less sugar." I told him. "They don't want to die young."

"So, tell me about the guy." Chris said, sidestepping the topic of his sugar intake neatly. “I thought Gabrielle was a girl’s name?”

I rolled my eyes. “His name is Gabriel. Not Gabrielle. And... he does live here with me and Callie. It used to be his house, a long time ago.”

“Great Aunt Katrina bought it from him?”

“Technically, no...” I hesitated. “It’s... complicated.” I drew in a deep breath.

I could tell him the truth. My older brother could handle the truth, he was about a thousand times stronger than I was, and I don’t mean how much he can press. He was tough, and he was my brother. He had looked out for me nearly my whole life. He knew me better than anyone else on this whole planet. He would know that I was serous. He would believe me. He was probably the only person who wouldn't think I'd gone crazy.

I let out the breath I was holding in one, long whoosh. "Gabriel's a vampire. Great Aunt Katrina had him locked up in the attic, then stole his house. I let him out, kind of by accident, and now I have to look after him."

Chris looked down at his second glass of lemonade. He shook his head. "You're insane." he muttered.

I looked at him, shattered. "Chris!" I whined loudly, swiping at him across the counter with one hand. "You're supposed to believe me! I can prove it!"

My brother scowled. "I didn't say I don't believe you. I just said you were insane..."

That threw me for a loop. "Wha...?"

Chris planted both of his huge hands on the counter and looked at me sternly. "You're talking about a vampire, right? Fangs, super strength, and a craving for people juice. The whole nine, right?" I shook my head silently. Chris actually looked angry with me, and it freaked me out like nothing else could. "Then why the hell are you here?" He banged one fist on the counter. "You should have cut and run, but you're just sitting here playing house! And Callie’s even gotten dragged into it!"

There were only a handful of times in my life that I had seen Chris angry with me, and all of those times he had been incredibly scared. This was like the time I had fallen out of the tree in Mom's backyard when I was eight, only a lot, lot worse.

I took a deep breath and counted to three. “Callie’s a vampire, too. Also, I believe she may be in love with me.” Understatement of the century.

For a second, I thought Chris might explode. He opened his mouth to speak, but the words didn’t come out. He opted instead to pinch the bridge of his nose between his thumb and forefinger and sigh. It was a gesture we had both seen Mom make many times.

“Look,” I said gently. “I’m perfectly fine here-”

“That’s the last thing you are.”

“I’m armed. I’ve been working out, Katrina has a whole gym downstairs. I can handle myself.”

He groaned, rubbing his eyes with his fingers. He leaned his elbows on the counter. “I can’t believe this... Hearing this from anyone else and I’d have them committed.”

“Callie saved my life once, I trust her completely.”

He pulled his fingers from his eyes, giving me a suspicious look. “And what about Gabrielle?”

I suppressed the urge to roll my eyes. “I trust Gabriel too.” About as far as I can throw him, I added silently.

Chris straightened up, throwing his hands in the air. “Look, if I tell you not to keep staying here, you’ll just keep staying here. Last little bit of teenage rebellion left in you, and all that.”

“I’m almost twenty.” I said hotly.

“So, I’m not going to tell you to do or not do anything.”

That surprised me. “What, really?”

“Yep, I’m just going to go and take over the couch. If you’re going to stay here, so will I. Someone needs to keep you out of trouble.” He put his glass in the sink, then exited the kitchen.

I watched him, my mouth agape. “Whoa, hold on, you’re not staying here. You’re not staying on the couch, and all the bedrooms are taken.”

Chris shrugged. “I’ll share with Gabrielle, we’re both guys, as far as I can tell.” He looked over at Gabriel, who was setting up the mic, preparing to sing and play guitar at the same time. “I don’t like him.”

“What, why?” I asked, glancing over at Gabriel myself.

“He looks like one of those pretty boys you see in those girly magazines. Dresses like one, too.”

I scoffed openly. “Gabriel is not a pretty boy. He just likes being well dressed.”

At that moment, the song started. ‘Just the Girl’, by The Click Five. Gabriel started singing, and I covered my eyes with one hand and sighed.

Chris chuckled. “He doesn’t look dangerous at all.”

“You really shouldn’t say things like that. Gabriel hasn’t been in the best of moods lately.”

“Oh? Did his werewolf die?”

“Stop being a jerk, Chris. I know you’re just trying to cover up the fact that you’re worried about me.”

“I dunno, I think I might like having Buffy for a sister.”

I sighed in exasperation. “I don’t hunt vampires. I’m just a caretaker.”

Gabriel paused his game. “The idea of Evangeline hunting my kind is ludicrous.” Of course he had been listening to the entire conversation, just like he has to be insulting. “She is the total opposite of Katrina, in every way.” Did he have to bring that up every single chance he could?

Chris walked into the living room. “I dunno about that. I bet Evie could kick your scrawny butt.”

“Vampiric strength isn’t measured in muscle mass. Though from what I understand of humans, larger muscles means a smaller brain.”

Chris’ face hardened. I could sense a fight coming, and a wave of exhaustion overtook me. “Can you two not be retardedly male right now? I’m really tired.”

Gabriel yawned, his long fangs exposed. He turned to me, a spark of mischief in his otherwise dull eyes. “I’m getting hungry. Come here, Evangeline.”

Chris punched him then, hard on the side of his face. The blow was massive, and Gabriel was knocked to the ground, bringing the mic stand with him. I put my hands on my hips. “Really, Chris! Is this how you’re going to act in my home?”

He looked over at me, then was immediately guilty. “But, he said-”

“He was only trying to get a rise out of you. Gabriel and Callie drink animal blood.”

Gabriel got to his feet, unharmed. He brushed his shirt off. “I’d take pig’s blood any day if the only other choice was hers.”

Chris’ face flushed in anger. He swung at Gabriel again. This time Gabriel caught his fist in his hand, stopping it dead. “You’ve caught me in a weak moment. That won’t happen again.” Gabriel said softly, his eyes flashing red briefly. Then he dropped my brother’s fist and turned away. He retrieved his guitar and stood the mic stand up again.

I was shaking my head, fuming. Chris looked back at me, but I turned away from him and headed up the stairs. “Evie, don’t be like that!” He followed me up the stairs. “Are you really taking his side over mine?”

“I’m not taking any sides.” I told him sharply, not looking at him. “Gabriel goaded you into a fight and you rushed right in like a ten year old.” I stopped outside of Katrina’s door and held it open. “Honestly, who’s the older sibling here?” I finally looked at him.

Chris looked appropriately shamefaced. “I’m sorry Evie. I don’t know what came over me. The way he talked about you...”

“You don’t solve conflicts by punching them.” I said sternly. “I’m not saying you and Gabriel have to get along, but I will not tolerate violence. This house has seen too much already.”

“You’re right. I’ll find another way of expressing myself. I won’t punch Gabrielle anymore.”

I sighed and rolled my eyes. “Get inside, I don’t want you out of this room until I wake up. I’m going to go sleep in Callie’s room.”

Chris bristled. “You can’t make me stay in there all day. I’m the older one.”

“If you don’t, I’ll call mom and tell her you punched my house mate, twice.”

“Oh yeah? I’ll tell her you’re living with vampires!”

I crossed my arms over my chest and raised one eyebrow. “Really?”

Chris sighed in defeat. “Okay, that sounds stupid.” He walked into the room obediently.

I shut the door firmly, then walked down the hall to Callie’s room. She was waiting for me, sitting up in bed and reading a magazine. “Boys will be boys.” she reminded me.

“Tell me about it.” I climbed into the bed next to her and pulled the covers up over my head. “Don’t let anything wake me for another six hours.”

“Under penalty of death?”

“Sure, let’s go with that.”