Status: Active

Paper Hearts and Lockets

Chapter 2

It had been 6 hours and I still hadn’t heard from Leo. So here I am, sitting on the swings. My legs pumping me higher into the air. My phone started flashing at me. My hand pressed a button. Picking up the phone, I brought it to my ear. “Hello,” I asked.

“May I talk to Elizabeth,” a deep voice sounded.

“This is she, may I ask who this is?”

“It’s Leo. I told you that I would call,” he said, laughing a bit.

“Oh hey. I totally forgot. Sorry,” I apologized.

“It’s fine,” he said. I sighed in relief, and nodded my head. Biting down on my lip gently, I looked out over the park.

“Would you like to hang?” I asked nervously. It was starting to get dark, and the sun setting.

He seemed to think for a while. Leo finally answered, “I would love to. Where though?”

“Do you know where the city park is?”

“Um... I think so...” he trailed off.

“What about there? Is that okay?” My breath caught in my throat. The park had been abandoned many years ago. They left the squeaky swings, rusted monkey bars, and the faded slides. It was personally, a dump. But I thought the view was beautiful.

“Yeah. I’ll be there soon,” and with that he hung up. I sighed, and walked over to the tables under the gazebo. I set my foot on the bench, and hoisted myself up onto the table. I allowed my elbows to rest on my knees, causing me to slouch and look at the dirt covered ground. I closed my eyes, and opened my mouth slightly.

“I’ve become so numb,” I whispered. “I’m tired of being what you want me to be.” Life has been so hard for the past few years. I brought my hand up to where my locket used to sit on my chest. Nothing was there. I swallowed what was left in my throat. I had to be strong. My ears picked up the sound of a bass playing. Car lights swerved into my view, and there was a midnight blue car, with an unknown driver. I let my hand slip, and rest on the table. The car door swung open, revealing Leo. Smiling, I waved a hand at him.

The sun was still setting, setting a pinkish color through the sky. “Isn’t it beautiful,” I asked, smiling.

He laughed a little, “It is. But...” he trailed off slowly. Mumbling something incoherent. I raised an eyebrow at him, but he just shook his head. I shrugged, and offered for him to come sit with me. “I love sunsets,” he stated, looking over at me. I looked in his eyes, they were changing colors. The light was changing Leo’s eye color to a purple.

“Your... your eyes...” I stuttered. He hesitated for a moment, then smiled.

“What about them,” he teased. My mouth hang open, watching his eyes transition.

“They’re... they’re changing colors.... How is that possible?”

He licked his lips, and slowly opened his mouth. “It’s hard to explain. I mean, I don’t really know. But at this time of night they do that. You know?” he asked. I nodded, understanding completely. “You wanna know something?” again I nodded. “You look beautiful in this light.” he smiled, and I blushed. It was getting too dark to tell. Thank God for that one. “Your also awfully quiet. Something wrong?”

I shook my head, “Nope. Everything’s fine and dandy. Sorry, I was thinking.”

He nodded, “What about?”

“My... parents.... family.... my lockets......... you.....” I listed, but mumbled ‘you’ barely audible. He nodded.

“Will I ever get to meet your family?” he asked, lifting my chin. I bit down on my lip, shaking my head. “Why not?” I didn’t answer, but a tear escaped and traveled down my face. Leo brought his hand up and wiped it away. “I... I... can’t, can I? They’re.... dead?” he guessed. I nodded. “I’m so sorry. I didn’t know.”

I shook my head, “No, it’s fine. They died three years ago. In a fire.... a house fire. My valuables and my family all died that day. I lost my lockets forever. The ones my grandma gave me, it was a family heirloom. The one my ex gave to me on our three year anniversary. He dumped me soon after the accident. He couldn’t handle me. I was all moppy, and depressed. I haven’t talked to him since that day. I’ve avoided him. But my families anniversary is coming up soon. And it’s the worst day of the year,” I explained. His mouth was hanging open. Tears were flowing down my cheeks. He reached out for me, and pulled me into a hug. I hugged him back, crying silently.

“I’m so... so... sorry,” he apologized. I shook my head.

“It’s my fault,” I mumbled against his chest. He rocked me back and forth, telling me to sh. He pulled away and kissed my forehead.

“Nothing was ever your fault. It was an accident, and you couldn’t do anything to stop it,” he said, pressing our foreheads together. “If there is anything you need, I will always be here for you Elizabeth. I care about you. Now more than ever. Just tell me what I need to do.” I looked him in the eyes, he was serious. “Can I.... This may sound a little selfish...” he trailed, I nodded telling him to go on. “May I.... can I... kiss you?” I wet my lips, looking down at his plush, full lips. I bit down on mine, fighting the temptation of a smile. I nodded and he smiled. He moved closer to me, and I didn’t stop him. He was about an inch from me, and I could feel his warm breath on my lips. His eyes were searching mine for something, maybe looking for a reason I wanted him to stop. But nothing came to mind. I moved halfway, letting him come the rest of the way. I closed my eyes, as our lips touched. Leo’s lips moved against mine, mine following him. I felt his hand come up between us, and pull me more toward him.

He finally pulled away, allowing me to breath. I smiled, as his hand caressed my cheek. He smiled back at me. “Leo...” I mumbled, looking down at the ground.

“What baby girl?” he asked, bringing my eyes back to his.

“I... um... I’ve never actually had a first kiss, so that was technically it.” I whispered. His eyes widened a bit, and mouth opened slightly. “I...”

“So... how was it?” he joked.

“I... I loved it. I’m glad it was with you,” I spoke, and he blushed.

“Why thank you Elizabeth. I’m glad that I was the one to give it to you.” We looked each other in the eyes one last time. “Um... would you enjoy going out with me Elizabeth?”

My breath caught in my throat for like the third time in that day. I couldn’t speak, and he was becoming impatient. Getting more nervous that I was going to reject him. So I nodded, and he sighed in relief. “You’re the best thing that has happened to me since the past few years Leo. Thank you, for making me smile. For everything you’ve done.”

“No thanks needed, I did what I wanted. And I enjoyed it. I’m glad to hear I’m the best thing that has happened to you, but I can’t believe it. Not until I see it,” Leo spoke, taking my hand in his. He pulled it up to his mouth, and kissed my hand softly. We sat there the rest of the night watching the sun set, and then lying in the grass looking at stars. A conversation every now and then. But it was an amazing end to the perfect day.
♠ ♠ ♠
There you go. I told you I would update by tomorrow. :] and I did. :] You all should check out Booksie. It has to be an awesome writing site :] I like this chapter.

I think I may be going insane. I thought my mom called my name, when she hadn't said anything at all...... weird. But Tomorrow's MY BIRTHDAY!!!!!! :] Going lazer tagging with friends and sisters.

Got burnt today... and still have my broken finger.

Next chapter might be a lazer tagging date. :]

Love you all.
Please comment and subscribe. and tell your friends if you like this story.

-Baby Blue (Lizzy)