Into Your Icy Blues

Sixteen.

With her back facing the water, Jade slid off the plain white t-shirt that she had slid on in a hurry that morning. Thankful for the green wife beater underneath it, she slid off her tattered jeans and kicked them on top of the shirt. Without another thought she raced into the water, not stopping until it reached her shoulders.

Before she had a chance to fully adjust to the temperature, a pair of arms yanked her underwater.

Once she had resurfaced, Jade pushed her soaked hair out of her face and waited. Not long after, a mop of dark hair appeared a few feet away. Smiling to herself, she moved slowly toward it. As she reached out to grab at the person, something grabbed her from behind. She screamed and swung an arm back.

"You're a little bitch," she told Frank calmly as he rubbed at the side of his face. Gerard emerged from where he had been hovering below surface. He was gasping for breath and laughing at the same, all the while making his way over to the two.

"That was so fucking perfect," he gasped, laying a hand on his female friend's shoulder. She only shook her head lightly as his laughter continued. The three of them dragged themselves to point where they could sit in the water without getting a lung full of ocean.

"Seriously!" Gerard continued, waving his arms around enthusiastically. "That wasn't even planned, or anything! Pure fucking genius!"

"Like you, right?"

"Well obviously."

"You cheated, by the way," Ray announced as the four friends lay sprawled out in the same place they had been for the past hour.

"Huh?" answered three voices.

"Jade," he explained. "The shirt."

"You said top layer," the girl laughed, turning her head to the side so that she could look at him.

"Yeah, but-"

"Mhm..."

"Shut up."

"Let's go back in!" Frank exclaimed, standing up from the end of the line of bodies. For some reason that his friends would probably never know, he had chosen to leave on his skin-tight black jeans. Though they were no longer sagging as much as they had been before the sun dried them out, they were still weighed down by the water remaining. From where she lay a few feet away, Jade inconspicuously let her eyes glide over what parts of his body she could see.

"No way man," Gerard groaned. He had pulled his hoodie back on and was laying face down in the sand to protect his poor skin, what if I tan?! Ray had once again disappeared, claiming he had to make a phone call.

Frank turned to Jade. His hands were shoved into his jean pockets as his rocked on the balls of his feet.

She sat up and used her arm to block the sun as she looked up at him.

"Yes?" she smiled at his expectant look.

"Come onn," he drawled out, taking a few steps toward her. "You're my last hope."

"Can you not go in by yourself?"

"We have to follow to buddy rule," he insisted, pulling her to her feet and further into the water.

"They stopped making us follow that rule when we were teenagers, Frank," she laughed.

"Not in Jersey," he said eerily, leading her farther into the water.

"Creep."

"Proud of it, too."

"You would be."

"Hey!" he pouted, directing a glare at her. She gazed back innocently.

"What?"

"…nothing," he smiled a nice smile before dropping her hand and dropping below water. When he reemerged, his mop of hair hung in his face messily. He pushed it back as his attention returned to the girl in front of him.

"What?" She asked finally, breaking their silent stare to glance back at the shore; both other boys lay contently side by side.

"Nothing," he replied, sounding as if he had been caught doing something wrong. She eyed him curiously.

"Really?"

"Yeah, really," he nodded.

"Really really?"

"Reallyreally really," he grinned, pulling her into an unexpected hug. Her arms immediately slid around his neck as he buried his face in hers. They stood holding each, water rushing around them, until they heard someone calling from the beach. Pulling away, they found both Ray and Gerard waving their arms around wildly. Hand in hand, they made their way toward shore.

"Hey, are you and Jamia doing better?"

Jade sat at the kitchen table of her apartment while all of the My Chemical Romance boys sat around the family room with their girlfriends, sans Jamia and Eliza.

"I'm not really... sure, actually."

She wasn't sure if Gerard knew that she could hear them, but her attention that had previously been focused on the computer in front of her was now captured.

"I mean, we're not really fighting, but it's still kind of forced. Not being civil, but being together. I don't know. She won't even talk to me about it, so I have no idea what's going on."

"I'm surprised she hasn't blown up again."

"I wouldn't completely write off the possibility."

"I'm sorry, man."

"Yeah, well. I guess I sort of had it coming."

Later that night, Jade sat in the room her friends had spent all afternoon in while they gathered their things from where they had been scattered. They each bid her goodbye before leaving with whoever they were going home with.

When Frank didn't leave with the rest of the group, Jade raised her eyebrows expectantly.

"I, uh... bathroom," he concluded, heading in the direction of the hallway bathroom. She turned back to the old rerun playing on the television. When she didn't hear the bathroom door close after a second, she turned back around curiously. Frank had returned to the entrance way of the room.