‹ Prequel: Undisclosed Desires
Sequel: You Don't See Me

Good Enough

Chapter 9; A Game

Nathalie held a cup in her hand. It was mid-afternoon. It was almost an entire day since Isabel’s attack. She was able to stay in the hospital in the waiting room. She was given a pillow and blanket to sleep, but she only had a couple of hours. She was waiting for the doctor to give her the go to see Isabel.

Brian’s pacing was irritating Nathalie. He stayed the night too, and though Nathalie called Matt, he didn’t answer her calls. He only sent her a text that said he was fixing things up. She had a bad feeling of what he meant by that. Brian was royally pissed, but most of all, he was worried. Nathalie could tell it was crushing him not to know what was going on with Isabel.

Heck, it was killing Nathalie not to know either.

“Ms. Molina’s family?” a doctor walked into the waiting room.

“We are,” Brian said immediately. “Is she awake? Is she all right?”

“She’s awake and stable, but very traumatized,” the doctor said sadly. “She wishes to speak to Nathalie.”

“That’s me,” Nathalie raised her hand quickly. “Can we go see her?”

“She specifically asked for only you,” the doctor gave Brian an apologetic glance.

“What? Did you tell her I was here?” Brian nearly growled. Nathalie placed her hand on his shoulder.

“I did,” the doctor noticed Brian’s tone and actually looked a bit scared. “She only asked for Nathalie, I’m sorry.”

The doctor stepped back and waited for Nathalie.

“It’s all right, Brian,” she told him. “I’ll go and tell her how much you want to see her.”

“No, I need to see her, Nat,” he almost begged. “I just want to see with my own two eyes that’s she’s fine. I want to hold her.”

She nodded and smiled. “All right. I’ll go tell her exactly that.”

He half smiled and nodded. Nathalie followed the doctor to a floor where the private rooms were kept. The doctor opened the door for Nathalie and closed it when she walked inside. There was a single bed in the room, windows across the room, and Isabel was sitting up on the bed.

Her hands on her lap. She had some bruises on her face, her arms, but the rest was covered by blankets. Nathalie walked up to her, and Isabel lifted her head up. Isabel broke down crying as Nathalie crawled into bed with her and placed her arms around her best friend to console her.

She didn’t say anything. No wisdom words about being strong, because honestly, if Nathalie was in her place, all she would want was her best friend to hug her and hold her while she cried her heart out.

They stayed like that for what seemed like forever, but it was only half an hour. Isabel’s sobs died down.

“Is Brian still here?” Isabel asked, her voice hoarse.

“All night and day,” Nathalie answered.

“How is he?”

“Desperate to see you, honey.”

“I can’t see him, not looking like this.”

“He loves you, babe, it won’t matter to him how you look like.”

“Nathalie, they raped me,” Isabel said with such fierceness it was so unlike her. “I can’t face, Brian.”

“You’ll see him when you want to then,” Nathalie stroke Isabel’s hair and held her closer. “I’m sorry babe.”

Isabel cried some more.

Matt was sitting down with the rest of the guys, except Brian. He was with his real boss. They had to report what happened. They would be in trouble because they were told not to involve civilians. They weren’t supposed to have steady girlfriends. One night stands? Sure, but not girlfriends.

At the moment, he didn’t care about the rules. All he cared about was about Nathalie because it could’ve been Nathalie in Isabel’s place. He wasn’t happy that it happened to Isabel, because she was a friend of his, but he could admit he was relieved it wasn’t Nathalie.

He probably would be a mess like Brian, maybe even worse because his temper wasn’t the best.

“All right boys, I get that you want to go after these guys,” their boss told them as they sat in a table in the house.

“You bet your fucking ass we do,” Jimmy growled and slammed his fist down on the table.

“But,” their boss raised his hand, “it is your fault.”

Matt narrowed his eyes, but he knew their boss was right. If he had been more careful, nothing would’ve happened. The bastard had followed Matt and Brian the last time they met, Matt would bet his life on it.

“We told you no civilians were to be involved while this investigation, you were almost home free. You fucked this up, but now it’s time to clean up the mess. Leave those girls alone,” their boss looked at Matt specifically. “And get on with the investigation. We’ll do damage control, all right?”

Matt nodded. “Yes, sir. No more mistakes.”

“Good. Let’s bring down this son of a bitch and no more fucking distractions,” he pointed to Matt.

It was hours later that Matt decided what to do. First, he had to lose all contact wit Nathalie. He couldn’t answer her calls, and he couldn’t text her anymore. But, he didn’t have the guts to go up to her and break it off. He was too much of a coward.

Days Later

It was a week later that Isabel was released from the hospital. The men who attacked her still at large, and she already gave the description she got. They masks on, but she saw their tattoos, and if the criminals had a past record, which mostly likely they did, then with the description of the tattoos the police would get them.

But Nathalie had a feeling was going to find them first and, like has said, rip them to shreds.

Nathalie was worried about Matt. She didn’t have time to call him, but when she did, he didn’t answer. She left a dozen messages over the week, but no answer.

When she went home for a change of clothes, Matt wasn’t home, none of the guys were. It worried Nathalie.

It was a rainy day when she decided to confront Matt.

Nathalie made sure that Isabel was comfortable in bed and then went to her room. She fixed her hair and make up. She waited until the rain died down a little to cross the street, but when she was half way, it started to pour down hard.

When she made it to the porch of Matt’s home, she was damped. She knew he was there because his truck was parked in the driveway. She knocked and rang the doorbell.

She waited two minutes for him to answer.

He was shirtless and wore only sweats. He gave her an expressionless look.

“Yeah?” he asked with a bit of an attitude. It shocked her.

“Um, why haven’t you answered my calls, Matt?” she asked.

He tilted his head to the side. “Why would I do that?”

Her stomach turned upside down

“Because I’ve been worried,” she said.

He sighed like it was a bother to have her on his porch.

“Look, I shouldn’t have kept this charade for so long,” he crossed his arms across his chest. He chuckled and smirked. “Baby, it was all a game, all right? It got out of hand.” Then he turned serious.

Matt stared into her blue eyes with a glare he hoped she would buy. Her hair was damped from the pouring rain and some of it stuck to her face. He thought she looked beautiful and he wanted to forget what he told her, but it was too late.

The shock look on her face clenched his heart, but he had to remain strong. It was for the best. She deserved better, so much better, and he wasn’t what she thought. He wasn’t heaven sent. He was really good and deceiving and hurting the people he loved the most, and he loved her with all of his heart which is why he had to let her go.

Her safety was on the line, and he didn’t want the same fate Isabel suffered. No, he learned from his friend’s mistake. Now, he had to make Nathalie go away for her own good. So many bad people were after him, and she was his weakness. She needed to hate him. She needed to loathe him.

“A game?” she repeated in a small squeak.

“Of course,” Matt’s expression was smug. “The guys and I made a bet and I won. I got you to open your pretty little legs for me.” He hated every word that came out of his mouth.

The expression of horror and utter betrayal crossed her beautiful face. He hated himself so much. In her eyes he could see the second her heart broke. Then she blinked and shook her head.

“You don’t mean that. You’re just trying to push me away because of what happened to Isabel, but it’s different with us! We shared something that just can not be faked.”

He knew the only way to make her go away was to hit her in the one spot it would just break her down.

“Go away! You pathetic orphan! I don’t want you! Your own parents didn’t even want you!”

She took a step back and placed a hand over her mouth, probably to keep him from hearing her sob. Tears rolled down her cheeks. He wanted to apologize, but he couldn’t. She had to leave. She needed to leave.

The final plunge was when a half naked model looking woman appeared behind Matt with only his shirt on. Her hair was a mess, from sex.

“Why are you yelling?” the woman asked and then looked at Nathalie. “Who are you?”

“She’s nobody,” Matt answered for her. “She’s a nobody.”

Nathalie glared at Matt.

“Okay, I get it,” Nathalie finally said with a brave face on. “You didn’t have to such a huge asshole about it.”

He watched her as she left. Just as she was about to cross the street. A car was speeding her way and it was not stopping and Nathalie was in the middle of the road.

Matt’s heart stopped as time slowed down. He screamed her name, and she turned around to look at him, but then the car honked. Her scream echoed in his head and he flinched as he watched her body collide with the car.

---

Nathalie started to slowly come around.

“Nat!” Isabel shouted and Nathalie groaned because of the loud noise. “Oh, oh, I’m sorry,” Isabel whispered. “I’m just so happy to see you alive.”

Nathalie felt like she got ran over, wait, she did. She turned her head towards Isabel who looked like she was up for the past day or two. Her nose was red along with her eyes and she didn’t look very well together.

“Hi,” Nathalie said with a hoarse voice.

“Hi,” Isabel laughed and sort of cried at the same time, “I’m going to get the doctor, okay?”

Nathalie nodded and closed her eyes again. She felt so tired and every time she moved it hurt. Isabel went for the doctor and came back with a young doctor. He was probably around early thirties. He greeted Nathalie warmly. He explained to her that she survived and that most of her injuries would heal in a few weeks, but her right leg which was broken would take a little longer.

“You’re very lucky to be alive,” he told her.

“Thank you, except I don’t feel really lucky right now,” she groaned as she tried to sit up.

He chuckled. “I’ll get a nurse to help you get more comfortable.”

“Thanks,” she said and watched as he walked out of the room.

“He totally wants you,” Isabel giggled as she sat down on the armchair next to the bed.

“Are you serious, Isa? I’m a mess. I’m sure he doesn’t want me.”

“I’m just saying he laughed at your lame joke. It means something.”

“Thanks,” Nathalie said sarcastically.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hi guys. I just wanted to let you know about a story that I’m doing to Rae, Harley Harlot. We both love Supernatural and luckily we don’t like the same guy, so it all works out for this co-write called: Jar of Hearts.