‹ Prequel: Undisclosed Desires
Sequel: You Don't See Me

Good Enough

Chapter 2; Shallow

Nathalie was having seconds thoughts as she walked out of Isabel’s home and started to cross the front yard in order to get to the house across. She rubbed her hands together nervously and checked both ways before crossing the street. She saw all of the cars parked outside, there was an extra one now. It was a total of five cars. She thought about what she would say. She would first introduce herself, and then… ‘I’m sorry for last night. I didn’t mean to stare’?

No, she shook her head. She stood outside their door. She raised her hand and clenched it into a fist and knocked three times. She didn’t hear any TV nor music. It was almost like there was no one home, but their cars were outside. She knocked again when no one answered. She was about to leave when she heard a crash and cursing.

She took a step back and waited for the person to answer. The door opened and a man in only boxers answered. He was tall, really tall and skinny. His hair was black and it was everywhere. His chest had some tattoos and also on his arms. He was rubbing his eyes and when he stopped and looked at her, he smirked.

“Hey, there darling, how can I help you?”

She knew he wasn’t the one she saw last night. He was too tall and not muscular enough. This man had blue eyes and eyeliner smeared.

“I’m looking for Matt,” she said after she cleared her throat.

His smirk faded. “Of course you are. You’re the chick he banged last night? Didn’t he tell you the rules?”

“I’m not the girl he banged last night,” she was offended.

His eyes widened and then gave her a full body scan, from head to toe and concentrated on her chest a little longer, and then back to her eyes.

“Hmm, you’re right. You’re definitely not his type. Medium boobs, hair too dark, and innocence just radiates off of you.”

She glared.

“Oh, or maybe not,” he chuckled, “I’m Jimmy.”

“Forget this,” she shook her head. She was not going to be scrutinized by some stranger.

“Wait,” Jimmy laughed, “I’ll get him, come inside.”

She took a look behind him. He asked nicely, she couldn’t deny him, but she didn’t want to go in there and have something happen to her. He sighed.

“Just stay out here, I’ll go get him,” Jimmy muttered and left the door open and walked up the stairs.

She licked her lips and was now really having second thoughts. But, a minute later, it was too late. She heard two people arguing as they walked downstairs.

“Who?” another rough voice asked. “Is she hot?”

“She’s okay,” Jimmy answered.

Nathalie rolled her eyes and stepped away from the door again to make them think she didn’t hear them. Matt appeared on the doorway, disoriented like Jimmy had been, but he had jeans on. He was shirtless, and she saw his tattoos, and it took her a second to look at his eyes, hazel eyes. His tattoos were a big distraction.

“Hi,” she said lamely and waved her hand, “I’m Nathalie, I just moved in across the street with Isabel. I wanted to introduce myself and… apologize for last night.”

Matt immediately smirked. “That was you last night. I thought it was Isabel, but I remembered her room was the other window.”

She didn’t want to know how he knew that.

“I didn’t mean to… do that. I just heard a shriek, and I thought someone was in trouble.”

“I do tend to make them scream,” his smirk grew wider.

Ugh, I should have known, she thought to herself. He was full of himself. Isabel told her about some Orange County men being shallow, and now she knew it was true.

“I came over to introduce myself and apologize, and I have done both, so… I’m gonna go now. Have a nice day, Matt, Jimmy.”

“You too, Nathalie,” Matt said smoothly. She ignored the little voice that told her she really liked the way her name left his lips.

She turned on her heel and walked away.

Matt tilted his head to the side as he watched Nathalie walk away. He liked her. She was shy, but not the type that blushed all of the time, and he liked that she came over to apologize for something silly. It wasn’t like she had just stood there for all of it. He had been outside with the girl for half an hour making out.

“Man, oh, man,” Jimmy said from behind Matt. “She looks good.”

“She’s also Isabel’s friend,” Matt stepped back with Jimmy and closed the door. “Which means, Isabel has told her about Brian, which means Isabel has told her to stay away from us.”

“Brian didn’t even cheat on Isabel,” Jimmy scoffed.

“I know, we all know, but he did the right thing. You know that, we all know that.”

Jimmy rubbed his face and sighed. “I hate our job.”

“I hate it too, but it pays the rent.”

“I just want a fucking break so we can get out of his assignment. I’m so sick of it.”

“Only a few more months,” Matt muttered. “I can feel it.”

Brian walked down the stairs. “I heard a girl’s voice.”

“It was Nathalie,” Jimmy spoke. “She just moved in with Isabel.”

Brian’s eyebrows rose. “The Swedish girl.”

“She’s Swedish?” Matt asked, he didn’t even notice an accent or something.

“Yeah, she and Isabel have been friends for years. Isabel told me about her when…” his eyes blinked and then he cleared his throat, “anyway, they’re really close.”

Nathalie closed the door behind her, and heard the TV go on in the living room. She entered the room and saw Isabel on her stomach on the long couch. She was still pale from the hangover, and still looked like she was going to throw up. Nathalie lifted Isabel’s feet and sat down and placed them on her lap.

“How did it go?” Isabel asked.

“Okay, I did what I had to do.”

Isabel lifted her head. “Did you see… him?”

Nathalie gave her a small smile, she knew who ‘him’ Isabel referred to.

“No, I didn’t. I met Jimmy and Matt only.”

“Jimmy’s fun,” Isabel laughed and then drifted off into a flashback, and came back. “He’s easy to love.”

“Do you still talk to Brian?”

“Sometimes, when we run into each other at the market or at a bar. We don’t… talk long. It’s too painful for me.”

Nathalie rubbed her leg. “You really did like him.”

Isabel shrugged. “Doesn’t matter. If it was meant to be, it would’ve worked out.”

Nathalie knew that just her pushing her emotions away to protect her heart.

“What do you want to do today?” Nathalie asked changing the subject for Isabel’s sake.

“I have groceries to get, but I can’t go.”

“I’ll go.”

“No, you barely know the place. I’ll go with you. I’ll just have to suck it up,” Isabel stood up and went upstairs.

Nathalie stayed down in the living room and watched TV while Isabel got ready. Her train of thought went to Matt. She didn’t intend to, but he was handsome. She could at least admit that. He had dimples, and lips she could picture kissing. She shook her head.

She needed to get laid. Lips were turning her on, it was that desperate.

Isabel walked down looking like she wasn’t sick at all. The girls got in Isabel’s car and drove to the nearest grocery store. They got a cart and walked around and got the necessary things. Isabel got her usual ingredients for salads and fruits.

Nathalie got a pack of chocolate chip cookies, she didn’t pig out, but she liked to have two cookies and a glass of milk before going to sleep.

“Shit!” Isabel cursed and hid behind a counter of avocados. She took Nathalie’s arm and pulled her down.

“What? What is it?” Nathalie darted her eyes around.

“It’s Brian,” Isabel was panting.

Nathalie relaxed and then looked over the avocados. Brian and Matt were at the bananas and choosing which ones to get. Her eyes glued to Matt’s back. Her eyes then wandered down to his perfectly formed ass. Not many men had great asses, but Matt did.

“You can’t hide here until they leave,” Nathalie stood up and pulled Isabel along with her. “You’re stronger than this.”

“That’s a façade, I’m not strong. I can’t stand being around him without being able to… kiss him. Goddamn it, damn him!”

“We’ll just walk past them like nothing, all right?”

Isabel looked apprehensive, but she trusted Nathalie, so she followed suit.

Nathalie pushed the cart and Isabel clung to her arm for dear life. They walked past the boys, and they didn’t even notice them. Isabel immediately wanted to leave.

“How did you catch Brian cheating again?” Nathalie asked as they put the groceries on the belt.

“I didn’t,” Isabel answered. “He confessed.”

“So you never actually got proof he cheated?”

“He admitted, Nat.”

“Hey,” a deep voice that caused Nathalie’s arms hair to rise. Matt and Brian approached them. Matt’s eyes on Nathalie, and Brian’s on Isabel.

Nathalie distracted herself to look at Brian. He was handsome. He had cut his hair because the last picture she got from Isabel about him was when he had long hair. Now it was spiked up in all directions. He had a goatee, and less eyeliner, but still there. In Brian’s brown eyes there was longing, and Nathalie knew that Brian still cared for Isabel. So she wondered, why did he cheat on her?

Nathalie felt a hot gaze on her, Matt. She turned her blue eyes to him and gave him a small smile.

“You guys checking out?” Matt asked.

“As you can see,” Nathalie gestured to the food on the belt.

Matt laughed. “Right, right, I’m still a little… shaky from last night.”

“Hmm,” Nathalie was all she said.

“It was nice seeing you,” Matt smirked and he and Brian left.

Isabel released a big gush of air.

“I’m going to die,” she muttered.

Nathalie laughed. “Still overdramatic.”

“No, not this time, Nat. I want him, but he’s a cheating bastard. I don’t accept cheaters.”

Nathalie shrugged. “You should talk to him. Maybe you can get back together. What do they do anyways?”

“Construction, but it‘s their off season, so now they do odd jobs.”

An image if Matt being all sweaty, shirtless, and with a utility belt around his waist flashed through Nathalie’s mind, and it brought heat between her legs. She knew someone like Matt knew how to satisfy his woman.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you all for your comments!