Where You Belong

real couple

Not so surprisingly, Tyler had no idea what to do. It had been three days since he left Anna’s at two in the morning with a raging hard on, leaving them both high and dry and he hadn’t seen her around. The fact that he was in Arizona helped, but now what? She was supposed to be picking him up in twenty minutes from the airport, but would she show? Was she embarrassed? Mad at him? If he hadn’t been raised to know better than to take advantage of a drunk girl, he wouldn’t be having this problem.

“Sup Sega?” Lucic asked, shoving his shoulder into Tyler’s. “You’re looking like a little kid who just found out Santa isn’t real.”

“You mean he’s not?” Tyler gasped, making Milan and Patrice laugh as they waited their turn at the back of the plane to walk off.

“Come on, you’re all quiet, and you played like shit last night, even for a rookie. Aren’t we paying a shit-ton of money for you? I want a refund!” Milan shouted at the end, causing Tyler’s cheeks to flame red in embarrassment. “This wouldn’t have to do anything with that broad from the game, does it?” He asked, eyebrows raised.

“It might.” Tyler shrugged, checking his cell, it was noon, he had asked her to be at the airport by now.

“Trouble with women? You’re asking the expert.” Milan boasted, puffing out his chest, causing Patrice to chuckle and shake his head.

Mon ami, don’t listen to this buffoon, what is the matter with your femme?” He asked, leaning against the seat beside him as Rask struggled to get his backpack out from the overhead compartment.

“I don’t know if it’s exactly appropriate.” Tyler rubbed this back of his neck. This wasn’t like locker-room talk back with his boys, this was a discussion with other grown men.

“Sega… did you bump uglies with that little biddie?” Milan all but shouted. Okay, so not entirely grown men. “Well, with her I guess it wouldn’t be bumping uglies.” He mused to himself.

“No we didn’t… do that.” Tyler frowned. “Almost.” He heaved a sigh, pushing his hair back and letting his nails scrape at his scalp. Tyler pretended not to notice the slow grins that grew over his two mentors’ faces. “It almost happened, we had both been drinking – “

“Sex and drinking?! It’s like I don’t even know you!” Milan howled, making Tyler want to crumble into dust on the spot as the other players on the plane looked back at them with interest.

“Jesus H, will you shut the hell up?” Tyler all but hissed. “She was so far gone, I couldn’t do that.” He added, grabbing his own backpack and tossing it across his shoulders as they finally got to travel the aisle down to the terminal.

“So now what?” Milan asked, “do you need a ride home?” He asked. Tyler seriously needed to pick up a set of wheels.

“I don’t know, I asked her like two weeks ago if she could come get me but she hasn’t called me or anything like that.” Tyler frowned, checking his phone again.

“Well if she is a no-show, Patrice would love to give you a lift.” Milan insisted, making Patrice snort and shake his head, checking his watch.

“What do I do?” Tyler asked, holding up his phone to see Anna calling flashing on his screen.

“Answer?” Milan suggested.

“And say what?” Tyler tried to keep cool but his heart was thumping in his chest.

“Give me the phone.” Milan insisted.

“Yeah right.” Tyler dodged the large man’s hand and pressed the green button on his BlackBerry. “Hello?” He asked, trying his absolute hardest to sound casual.

“Hey muscles, I’m in the orange parking lot, do you know where that is?” Anna’s cheery voice made him smile in relief.

“I think I can manage. Driving Dorothy?” He asked, referring to her little Prius that she had named after her favorite character in her all time favorite movie The Wizard of Oz.

“You know it!” She laughed. “And I have McDonald’s!” She cheered, “so get your butt out here before I eat all your fries!” She teased before hanging up. That was something that Tylerloved liked about Anna, she loved the Stairmaster, but damn if she didn’t love her Big Macs and McFlurry’s, too. The call had ended and Tyler had an extra spring in his step as they reached the moving sidewalk, a wide smile across his face.

“So I’m guessing things went well?” Patrice drawled in that slow, sophisticated accent that made women swoon.

“I don’t know, she was cool and… it was like nothing ever happened, I guess.” Tyler shrugged. “She even brought me food.” He added.

“Maybe she’s trying to build your energy before taking you back to her place and slapping skins?” Milan suggested, making Tyler’s cheeks flush red again.

“I have a feeling that’s not it.” Tyler replied, trying to keep himself from running down the already moving sidewalk like the bionic man, dying to see Anna again now that he knew things wouldn’t be awkward between them. But then again, he’d love to slap her skin… or better yet, have her slap his. “Gotta run, see you guys later!” Tyler couldn’t stand waiting any more, dodging past his teammates who whooped and hollered as he ran down the sidewalk, almost eating shit as he finally came to solid ground and nearly went head-first into the carpet. “Whoa.” He laughed to himself at the head rush, making a break for the parking ramp escalator.

“Woo! Hey winner!” Anna honked her horn upon Tyler entering the orange lot, making him laugh as he confidently walked over to her car, tossing his backpack in the back seat before taking a seat up front. Anna plopped the McDonald’s bag in her lap. “I kind of got just a ton of shit, so freak freely!” She grinned, gunning it out of the parking lot, reminding Tyler to buckle up. “Oh, and guess what happened while you were gone!” She asked with a wild grin.

“What’s that?” He asked through a mouthful of sinful French fries.

“Got a permanent gig at Boston College! Hello Eagles!” She laughed, tossing her head back, her blonde waves tumbling down her shoulders and begging for Tyler to tug them into his hands.

“Doing what exactly?” He asked, his curiosity more than piqued.

“Strength training with some of their athletics programs.” She smiled, digging her hand into the bag on Tyler’s lap, making his hips shoot up. Thankfully she didn’t notice due to the pothole they had driven over, but now all he would have to look forward to was a cold shower when he got home. “Hockey and Skiing now, and then baseball in the spring.” She informed, making Tyler’s heart drop like a lead weight.

The very last place Anna needed to be was surrounded by more guys his age. No one was taking his Anna from him.

“That’s awesome, congratulations!” He faked a smile. “When does that start?” He asked, kicking off his shoes.

“Not for a couple of weeks.” She waved her hand. “But look at you big shot! Kickin’ ass and takin’ names in Arizona!” She patted his knee, pulling onto the freeway. “I watched your game!” She added.

“You did?” Tyler asked, grinning at the little box of chicken nuggets in the bottom of the bag.

“Yeah duh! They had the game on in the gym.” She added, “I made a run to the border that night and had to work off my chalupas.” She laughed, making him shake his head. “Anyways.” She began. “Dinner tomorrow night? My sister-in-law sent me a new recipe that I thought you could learn.” She added.

“I… do you think maybe…” He looked out the window to his left, avoiding eye contact. “I mean, do you think that’s a good idea?”

“Look, Ty, things very obviously got out of hand last time you came over.” She began. “We had been drinking and I understand that dumb things happen. Don’t worry about it, muscles. Just forget it.” She brushed it off with a wave of her hand.

But Tyler didn’t want to forget, he wanted more.

•••

“Muscles, I think you missed a spot!” Anna called out from her kitchen window, looking out to where Tyler was raking leaves in their shared front yard.

“Can it, Indianna!” Tyler pointed the rake in her direction threateningly but the wide smile on his face gave him away. The truth was, he’d go over this whole yard with a fork if she asked him to. Another week had passed and Tyler was in trouble, big trouble. When he wasn’t with Anna, he was wondering when he would see her next. When he wasn’t talking to her, he was texting her. He found himself counting the hours to when he would get to hear her voice again.

“Table is set! You said three more, right?” She asked, the cool autumn air blowing the curtains in the kitchen window.

“Yes! Three!” He called back.

“Good because this is an obscene amount of food.” She insisted, looking over the three heaping pans of beef burgundy that was simmering in the oven under the humongous pot of noodles boiling on the stovetop. “I’m guessing you want the leftovers?” She asked as he dragged the last pile of leaves down to the curb in festive pumpkin-themed trash bags.

“If there are any.” He shrugged, wiping his sweaty forehead with his arm.

“Really?” She asked, eyebrows raised as he finally stepped into the home, reaching into the fridge to grab a bottle of Powerade.

“They’re big guys.” Tyler nodded, “and please, don’t take anything Milan says seriously.” He added. “He just likes to talk to hear his own voice.”

“Sounds like a plan.” She laughed. “Now go start dessert.” She swatted at his butt.

“I’m a slave in this house.” He mumbled. “Slave master Indianna.” He teased, being caught by surprise as she all but threw herself on top of his back, arms wrapped around his neck.

“Don’t disobey me, slave!” She laughed, ruffling his hair as his hands wound under her thighs, making her scream shortly before hopping down. “Jesus your hands are cold!” She shivered.

“I’ve been raking leaves outside!” He said, raising his hands up in the air. “You go start dessert, woman!” He winced before her fist could even make contact with his shoulder. “And make me a sandwich, too!” He laughed before dodging out of his door and across the lawn to get ready for dinner in a crisp, clean shirt. Swiping on deodorant, cologne, and tucking into a new shirt, he applied a little product to his hair all under twenty minutes.

Just as he was heading back downstairs, there were loud knocks on his door followed by a slew of shadows outside front door.

“Hey!” He greeted excitedly. “Where’s Horton?” He asked, noticing the third teammate joining them for dinner was missing.

“Went out with his main tug.” Looch rolled his eyes. “And speaking of tugs, you know Brianna, right?” He introduced the familiar brunette to the left of him.

“Hey, Bri.” Tyler nodded, having met the familiar woman a few days prior when she had picked Milan up from a practice.

“Hi Tyler.” Brianna smiled cutely.

“So Anna is almost done with dinner, we should head over.” Tyler insisted, closing his front door behind him.

“Yes, we should head over.” Milan grinned, winking at Tyler who shook his head.

“Is this fine?” Patrice asked, holding up the wine bottle in his hand. Inwardly, Tyler cringed, but he smiled and nodded nonetheless. “For the grown ups, that is.” He added with a laugh, making Tyler roll his eyes as he let himself into Anna’s home.

“Anna!” Tyler called into the house, wishing she was walking into his arms as she exited the kitchen in her curve-hugging jeans and silky maroon top with her hair tossed up, exposing her slender neck. “Anna, this is my teammate Milan and his friend Brianna, and this is my other teammate, Patrice.” Tyler introduced.

Un plaisir.” Patrice greeted her, holding her hand in his for a brief moment.

Et vous aussi.” Anna giggled, making Tyler glance at her sideways, pretending to not notice the pink blush that crept up the back of her neck. “Don’t ask me anything else, I really only remember like two things from high school.” She laughed.

“Well your accent is impeccable.” Patrice complimented.

“Oh, please, take your shoes off, come sit.” She insisted. “I’m ten minutes from plating dinner.” She added. “Ty, babe, show them around.” She placed a hand on his stomach for a short moment before disappearing into the kitchen.

“Um, I can take that.” Tyler said, taking the wine bottle from Patrice and setting it on the entryway table beside him before showing them to the family room. After seeing that they were comfortable and sitting down, he reappeared in the kitchen, placing a hand on Anna’s waist as she stood over the stove. “What can I do to help?”

“I don’t think anything!” She smiled up at him. “You look cute by the way.” She added. He was tired of being cute, he just wanted to be hers.

“Thanks, you too.” He winked, making her laugh softly. “Patrice brought some wine, want me to pour you a glass?” He asked, moving to grab the bottle off of the table.

“I would love one, will you ask everyone what they want to drink?” She asked, stirring the noodles before dropping the colander into the sink. However, Tyler was soon scooted out of the kitchen by Brianna who absolutely insisted on lending a hand, leaving Tyler to go sit with the boys in the family room.

“She is… she’s…” Patrice looked at his young friend wide-eyed.

“I know.” Tyler nodded, “she’s amazing.” He added.

“So when are you going to make your move?” Milan asked, leaning forward over his knees.

“I made a move and she thought it was just a drunken mistake.” Tyler sighed, fiddling with the watch on his wrist that was a gift from his grandpa.

“Rough.” Milan shook his head. “Want me to talk to her? Move it along a bit?”

“Please no.” Tyler shook his head right away. “That would be counter-productive.” He insisted.

“We shower together, I can lie and tell her you’re hung like a moose.” Milan shrugged casually, making Tyler’s cheeks burn a bright red.

“Perhaps I should say something.” Patrice stepped in. “I think she would listen to me.”

“How about no one says anything? I can handle this myself.” Tyler rubbed his hands over his face. “Please, just try to keep the embarrassing things to a minimum.”

While the boys kept things relatively appropriate for dinner, Tyler was anxious for the time when they were all situated in the family room, sharing a few bottles of wine and stories. With a limited amount of space, Milan and Brianna took up the couch, Patrice in the recliner, and Tyler and Anna shared the loveseat. Anna sat sideways on the small couch, her knees bent over Tyler’s lap with one of his hands resting on her small feet.

“So how did the two of you meet?” Anna asked, nodding to Milan and Brianna, making Brianna turn bright red and an eager grin spreading across Milan’s face.

“Well…” Brianna bit her lip.

“No, no, no, I got this one.” Milan insisted, placing his hand on her thigh. “Brianna here, was at the bar one night when I was out with Wheels and she could not get the bartender’s attention whatsoever.” He began. “So, I thought ‘if this girl can’t get a drink, we’re all screwed’.” He laughed. “I took it upon myself to hop behind the bar and whip her up a screaming orgasm myself.” He winked. “You know, the few I gave her before we left the bar.” Anna burst into giggles and buried her face into Tyler’s shoulder.

Sharing her glass, Tyler’s cheeks were starting to warm after the few sips of wine he had and he couldn’t help the severe goose bumps travelling up and down his spine at her contact.

“And how about the two of you?” Patrice asked with a charming smile, nodding his head at the two on the love seat. “You make…un beau couple à la recherché.” He waved his hand, not that either of them understood that he was calling them a good-looking couple.

“Hmm, how exactly did this all start again?” She asked with an excited smile. “Oh! He needed some of my tools. I thought he was sixteen.” She giggled uncontrollably; making Tyler laugh as well as she covered her face with her hands. “And I invited he and his parents over for dinner.” She finished, making the other guests as well.

“Great story.” Brianna giggled as Milan pulled her into his lap.

“And then he started hitting me on the gym, so I grabbed giant Tyler’s crotch.” She giggled even harder, causing all three men to exchange surprised looks before Milan began to howl with laughter.

Tyler couldn’t help but think that these would be better stories for when they were a real couple.

He needed to work harder.
♠ ♠ ♠
so this isn't my absolute fave chapter
but i still kinda like it :)
my subs for this story have TRIPLED! wow! you guys are amazing!!
i'm so glad to know that you all are liking this story!!!
i'd love to hear your comments/concerns/predictions/things you'd like to see happen!
thanks so much for reading!
<3 kara