Absinth/Wormwood

"you've never been gone before is all."

The airport terminal is crowded, loud, dirty but clean at the same time; the sun is just beginning to show itself upon the canvas of the horizon, and they're holding each other close. There are tears in their eyes and droplets are rolling down their cheeks and the shorter one's fingers curl in the material of the blond's shirt.

“I'll only be gone for a week, love.” He's said it before, multiple times, and his voice is forcibly calmed but he's still crying just as hard as the other. “I'll be back before you know it.”

“I-I know, it's just–”

“Don't say it, love, I know,” he whispers, kissing his hair, his temple, his cheek (with much difficulty considering). “But you'll finally be able to get some work done without me here, eh? I won't be interrupting you every five seconds with–”

–with a kiss.

The words die in his throat and he can only tighten his grip on Takanori.

“You've never been gone before is all,” says Takanori softly, voice trembling.

“I'll try not to make a habit of it, love.”

“Damnit, you just–” He falters, looks up, pounding his fist against Akira's chest pitifully. “I love you. Please... be safe, okay?”

Akira smiles, wiping the tears away from the shorter man's eyes, and he kisses him deeply, gently, desperately. “I will,” he whispers when they reluctantly pull away, “I will. I love you too, angel eyes; I'll be back soon.”

“I'll be waiting.”