Crash and Burn

Frank

“Daddy! Daddy!”

I look up from my guitar and smile at Madison. She is three now, hard to believe. It seems like just yesterday she was born. She wobbles over to me, and hits my guitar with her hand.

“Play song?” She asks, her eyes pleading.

I smile. “One, then we need to find mommy.”

Her face lights up, getting brighter as I play, just for her. I smile at her. She looks just like her mother, with raven black hair, and the same innocent smile. However, she has my hazel eyes. Hers are full of curiosity. She is always on the move, and now that she can reach the door handle, she likes to escape. We have had to chase her down so many times. We scold her, but I really can't be too mad at her. She has an independent spirit, and for some reason, it makes me happy.

I finish the song with a stomp of my foot, then stand up and bow. She claps, screaming, “Encore!”

I put down my guitar and pick her up. “No, silly. We need to find mommy.”

Madison pouts. “Later?”

“Of course.”

She giggles. “Yay! Mommy! Mommy! Mama!” Her small voice rings through the house.

“Coming!” Danielle's voice calls back.

I put Madison down and walk through the hall, following her, as she runs to Danielle.

“Mommy! Daddy played me music!”

Danielle leans down to be eye-to-eye with Madison, and laughs. “Did he now?”

“Yep. More later.”

She looks up at me and stands. “Oh, I want to be there for that.”

Danielle walks over and gives me a kiss. Even after being together for six years, her kiss still sends chills down my spine. I hug her tight, kissing her harder.

She pulls back and smiles, rubbing her nose with mine. “Not in front of Madison.”

I chuckle, and whisper, “Later then.”

Danielle blushes. Every time something sexual is said, even if it is mild, she will blush. It is something I have always loved about her. “Yes. Later.”

She leaves my embrace, and strides to the kitchen. “What do you want for a snack, Maddie?”

Madison goes to stand beside her mother. “Um, a poptart.”

I walk into the kitchen, and sit at the counter, my arms against the marble.

“Oh, Frank! Gerard called. The interview and photo shoot has been set up.”

“Okay.” Our new album is about to be released. I am nervous, but excited. We have spent the last few months doing publicity. Thankfully, this is the last interview we are doing before our tour in two months. I am looking forward to having a break.

“He didn't give me many details. You'll have to call him for any.”

I nod and pull my cell phone out of my pocket, dialing the number quickly.

“Hello?”

“Gerard, it's Frank. Danielle told me the interview and photo shoot is set up?”

“Yep! The interviewer is Alan Green.”

“Ah, cool. He's a nice guy, looking forward to seeing him again. Is Kasey the photographer again as well?”

“No, it's another woman. Someone named Lillie Smith.”

My stomach drops to the floor. That name rattles my brain. I knew a Lillie Smith. Lil. That's what I called her. She always wanted to be a photographer. I don't know if this is her or not, but just the sound of her name is enough to shake me. “Oh-oh, that's cool.”

“Yeah. Listen man, the wardrobe consultants called and wan-”

“Gerard, can I call you back in a little while?”

“Yeah, sure.” I can hear confusion in his voice, but he doesn't ask if anything is wrong. I hang up the phone, and hold it in my hand, looking at my reflection in the screen. I appear to be much more pale than usual.

“Danielle?”

“Yeah, sweetie?”

“I am going to go take a nap. I am not feeling too well.”

Her eyebrows furrow in concern. “Okay, well if you need anything, let me know.”

I half-smile, and retreat to our bedroom, locking the door behind me.
♠ ♠ ♠
This chapter is dedicated to Amanda, who helped me find inspiration to continue with this story. Lots of love to you!