Crash and Burn

November 1999 - Frank

“BATTLES OF THE BANDS! SECOND PLACE, BABY!” I laugh as Mike, our bands drummer, screams this into the cold night. We are walking to the park, which is located only a few blocks from the venue in which Battle of the Bands took place. There, our loved ones are waiting to congratulate us.

It’s a chilly November night, and I slip my hands into the pockets of my hoodie to keep them warm. The park comes into view, but it is so dark, all I can see is shadows. The only light is coming from a tall street lamp that illuminates only half of the park.

As we get closer, I see a brunette woman waving enthusiastically. It takes me a moment to realize it’s Lillie, but when I do, I smile big and wave back. Instead of waiting for us to arrive, she and a few others run over.

“Frankie!” I take my hands out of my hoodie just in time to be hugged tightly by Lil. “I am so proud of you! It was so fantastic.” I smile at her, and she returns my smile, before leaning forward and pressing her lips against mine. Despite the cold air, her lips are warm, and I kiss her back gently, holding her close.

“Hey you two, do you need a room?” Brandon, our bands bassist, waggles his eyebrows at us, making Lil turn a bright red. She pulls out of my embrace, but I pull her close again, wrapping my arm around her waist.

“Maybe later.” I reply, and look over at Lil, whose face at this point is the color of a tomato.

Brandon laughs and turns to talk to Mike. I turn to face Lil, pulling her slowly back to my chest. Her face is not as red, but the blush is still there. I laugh, and she playfully pokes my shoulder.

“Hey, that, mister, was not funny!”

I smile and kiss her cheek, feeling the warmth of her skin on my lips. I let my lips linger there a moment, then pull back. “Lil, admit it, it kind of was.”

She looks into my eyes, and then looks away. Lil is biting her lip to keep from smiling, which tells me she thought it was at least a little funny.

I suddenly remember something, and reach into my pocket as I pull out of mine and Lil’s embrace.

“What are you doing?” Lil looks at me, puzzled.

I grin at her, “I have something for you.”

Lil looks confused, but there is small glint in her eyes that suggests she is excited to see what I have for her.

I pull out a small necklace. On the chain is a silver star. In the middle, a garnet stone sits.
Lil’s smile gets bigger. She looks up at me, and steps forward, planting a soft kiss on my lips.

“So, do you like it?” I look into her eyes nervously.

“Yes, I love it.” Lil pulls her hair up, and turns around. I place the necklace around her neck, running my fingers along her smooth skin as I do so. Once the necklace is on properly, I latch it.

“There” I say, and Lil puts her hair down as she turns to face me.

“It looks beautiful on you. Probably because you are so beautiful.” I grin, and Lil rolls her eyes.

I pull Lil close, and kiss the end of her nose. “You are beautiful, I mean it.”

She blushes, and leans forward, planting a kiss on my cheek.

“Not again, you two! Do we need to separate you?” Brandon yells to us.

Lil and I look into each other’s eyes, then turn to face Brandon.

“We were just about to come around and see everyone!” I yell back.

Lil gives me a quick hug, and then we separate to mingle with the small group of people in the park. After being congratulated by a few people, I look around and see Lil, talking and laughing with Mike’s girlfriend, Lisa. I hold my gaze on her for a moment, hoping to catch her eye. When I do, we smile at one another, and she sticks her tongue out playfully. I chuckle and make a funny face back at her. Lil rolls her eyes and turns her attention back to Lisa.

“So, how are things going with Lillie?” I turn as Mike comes up behind me.

“Good. Very good, actually.”

“Lisa thinks she is a sweetheart.”

I smile. “Lisa is correct.”

Mike laughs, and pats my back as he walks over the girls. I follow slowly.

“Okay ladies, time for pictures! This is a night that must be remembered!”

I scoot closer to Lil, who snuggles her side into me, shivering lightly. “Are you cold?” I look at her curiously.

“Only a little.” She smiles a reassuring smile, before turning to look at Brandon, who Mike convinced to be cameraman.

“Okay, everyone scoot in!” Mike, Lisa, Lil, and I do what Brandon says, then turn to face him once more.

“Now…say cheese!”

“Cheese!” Lil and Lisa say in unison. Both Mike and I chuckle, exchanging knowing glances as the camera flashes.

Brandon holds the camera to his side and smiles at us. “That one will turn out nice.”

“Hey Brandon, can Lisa and I get one together?” Mike asks.

Brandon nods and takes one of Mike and Lisa, who are holding one another close and smiling big.

“Brandon, do you mind taking one of Frankie and I?” Lil asks.

“No problem.” Brandon says.

I get behind Lil, wrapping my arms around her waist. I smile big. Not a fake smile, but a real, genuine smile. I know this night will be one of my greatest memories. Tonight, I performed music I love with people I love. I am also getting to spend time with Lil, who, as cliché as it may sound, I fall for more and more each day. I am not sure anything else will ever top this moment.

The camera flashes, and I am brought back out of my thoughts. Lil turns with my arms still wrapped around her, and faces me.

“I bet that photo will turn out good.”

I laugh, “I was smiling like an idiot.”

Lil shrugs. “It's okay, I bet you look like a cute idiot.”

We all stay at the park another hour, talking and cutting up. More photos are taken by Brandon, who decides since he took the first photos, he would take the rest, chronicling the nights events for us.

Once we all decide to leave, I walk Lil home. She still looks happy, and as we walk, she fiddles with her necklace. I smile to myself, because seeing her happy makes me happy. I always want to see her happy.