Muse

101 Ways to Kill a Character in Ten Minutes or Less

One: Death by poisoned coffee (or other caffeinated drink.)

Two: Bazooka. Enough said.

Three: Give 'em some really bad illness. That'll get a good few chapters...


Michael looked down at the list he had written on the lined yellow notebook paper. Setting the notepad off to the side, he sighed, looking out to the city surrounded him as he sat on top of his apartment building trying to find a new idea for his next book. So far, there were no big ideas.

Being the deaf man he was, Michael couldn't hear the sounds of the loud city, or the chirps of the birds behind him, or the rustling of his notepad beside him from the breeze that blew gently... but he could feel the vibration of the phone in his pocket.

What r u doin?

Trying to write a book.

Need any help?

Yes, lots.

LOL. Where r u?

On top of the building trying not to kill myself.

Wait another 30 secs. I'll be there in a min.

What's the point of waiting 30 seconds when you'll take a minute?

Michael was not able to send his texts, do to a pair of hands covering his eyes, and the familiar smell of Julia's perfume filling his senses.

The two had met one day in the park. Michael had been working on a book and she was walking a friend's dog. The dog had, apparently, been very hungry since it decided to steal Michael’s doughnut, spilling his hot coffee all over his pants too. When Julia tried to apologize, he could barely read her lips she was talking so fast. He had to sit her down, pull out a piece of paper from his bag and 'told' her that he couldn't hear her. From there, the two grew close.

Once Michael had gotten a phone, the sole purpose to text people for he couldn't call anyone, they texted out their entire conversations. He wished more than anything to be able to hear her laugh one day.

Wats the book about? she sent.

He simply gave her the notepad, sighing and pulling a package of cigarettes from his pocket. From the corner of his eye he could see her laugh.

U weren't lying when u said u needed help.

Michael stuck his tongue before lighting his cancer-on-a-stick and taking a deep inhale of nicotine. Julia frowned, but didn't saying anything about his nasty habit.

And then an idea hit him. He looked at Julia, she was reading the list he had written over again. Smiling like a complete idiot, Michael killed the cigarette into the concrete slab beside him and took the notepad from her hands. He ripped the list off throwing it into the air and letting it float away.

Julia watched, confused, as he began to write. She caught a mere glance of what he had written.

The Cellphone Couple
by Michael H. Lopez and Julia Fredric

She was his muse.