Status: Done

Can You Take Me Back to the Person I Used to Be?

This Pain That's Here Ain't Never Going Away

The ride home with Amanda was rather quiet. I think she was upset that she had to leave Kennedy in such a hurry.

"I'm sorry." I told her.

"It's okay. I just hate how awkward everything is now, you know?" She sighed as she took a sharp turn. She wasn't the greatest driver.

"I know, I was just scared. I'm sorry I ruined your time with Kennedy." I apologized.

"Don't worry about it. They have a break for a few days and he's gonna come home tonight." She grinned.

"That's awesome." I smiled back.

We pulled into my housing complex and parked in front of the town house we used to share.

"Hey... Do you want to come in? Maybe watch tv for a little while?" I asked.

"Sure." She shrugged.

We walked up to the door and I took my key and unlocked it. We stepped inside and something was missing. It took me a second to put my finger on it, but then it hit me like a ton of bricks.

"Shaggy?" I called. "Shaggy!"

I walked back the hallway and checked all the rooms in the house. I finally stopped searching when I reached the screen door leading to the patio and small backyard.

The screen had a hole in it the size of my furry roommate.

"Amanda! He got out. I have to go look for him!" I panicked.

"Caty it's like ten. Just wait until the morning, he'll be fine." She urged as she placed a hand on my shoulder.

"No I can't. I have to find him now!" I exclaimed as I grabbed his leash and walked out the door.

I searched for him along the sidewalk of our suburban neighborhood. I took the usual route I went on when I walked him, thinking that maybe he would stick with what's familiar.

Then I saw it.

No more than three feet away from me his wounded body was illuminated under a street light. He laid on the road appearing very still and weak.

"Shaggy?" My voice cracked.

He's just sleeping, I told myself.

I heard him whimper in response. I could already feel the tears in my eyes, when suddenly I remembered his veterinarian lived two houses away from where I was.

I sprinted in my skirt and flats as fast as my legs would take me to Dr. Simpsons' house.

I ran up his porch steps and pounded on his door. He opened it quickly and gave me a confused look.

"Sh-Shaggy, he got h-hit." I stuttered as I tried to control my tears.

"Shh, show me where he is." He asked.

I quickly led him to the spot and pointed to Shaggy.

"Okay, I'll take him to my office. Meet me there and I'll let you know what's going on." He told me as he lifted Shaggy's barely living body off of the pavement.

I nodded and ran back to my house.

"Did you find him?" Amanda asked as I walked through the door.

"I h-have to go." I told her.

"Wait! What happened? Do you want-" She didn't get to finish before I picked up my keys and sprinted to my car.

I got in and pulled out my cell phone. I needed only one person right now and I swallowed my pride before dialing his number.

"Caty?" He asked.

"J-John," I started.

"Baby, what's wrong?" He panicked. I could almost see him hunching his shoulders and bringing his hand to stroke his chin.

"It's Shaggy." I answered.

"What happened? Is he okay?" John asked.

"N-no." I cried.

"Don't worry baby, I'm leaving right now. I'll be there as soon as I can. I love you." He told me sincerely.

I was too choked up to respond, so instead I hung up and started my car.

I was almost sure that I was going to get into an accident with the way I was driving, but I didn't care. Even though I probably should seeing as how I wouldn't be the only one affected if I did crash. I was just so upset about Shaggy. I should have closed the glass door instead of just closing the screen door.

At last I pulled into Dr. Simpsons office. I parked crooked across about three spaces and yanked the door open. I sat in the dimly lit waiting room for what seemed like an eternity.

I watched as an hour passed on the clock. It had started thunder storming and the sound of the intense storm didn't help to ease my mood.

I had probably memorized all the posters in the entire office about maintaining proper care of your domesticated pets. I looked around the room in search for something more entertaining to look and suddenly my heart started beating faster as I saw a pair of headlights coming through the window.

This was followed by the sound of a car door slamming and feet walking towards the office. Finally the door opened and I ran to the lanky figure in tears.

"I'm here, baby. Shh, he's gonna be okay." He cooed in my ear as he wrapped his damp arms around me tightly.

"It's m-my fault," I cried "I left the back d-door open and he ripped the screen."

"It's not your fault, baby. He's going to be fine." He soothed.

We sat down and waited in silence with the occasional sniffle, or kiss on the forehead from John. I laid my head in his lap as I started to get drowsy.

"Don't let me fall asleep." I ordered in a slurred voice.

"It's okay. I'll wake you up when he comes out." John assured me.

I just allowed my eyes to close and drifted into a partially unconscious state.

Right before I completely fell asleep I heard footsteps coming down the hallway.

I quickly sat up as Dr. Simpson appeared and I searched his face for signs of hope.

"I'm sorry."

Those words made my tears come back immediately.

"I did my best, but I don't think he'll make it through the night. If you want to say goodbye you should do it now."

I nodded as the doctor showed me to the room the poor dog laid in.

When I walked in I found him attached to an IV with a large bandage around his mid-section. John laced our fingers together and squeezed my hand for comfort. Dr. Simpson walked out of the room to give us privacy and I approached the metal table that Shaggy was laying on.

"I'm sorry, Shag." I started as I stroked his ear. "I love you honey. I always will and I won't ever forget you. You're the best dog anyone could ask for." I finished as I gave him a kiss on the muzzle.

John walked up to him and stroked his head a few times before speaking. "I love you, man. I'm gonna miss hanging out with you. Don't worry though, you'll go to dog heaven."

Shaggy's tail started wagging and he licked my hand that was resting on the table.

I laughed through my tears and kept petting the dog. Eventually he stopped wagging his tail and drifted off to what I hoped was sleep. John squeezed my hand again I looked up at him.

"Let's get you home." He suggested before kissing my forehead.

"Okay," I sighed. "Bye Shaggy."
♠ ♠ ♠
:(
Comment and subscribe!