Sequel: Just Like His Father

It's Always a Fight Against Time

They're The Boys That Put Up With This...

“So you two are supposed to be getting married, huh?” Lucas mentioned out of the blue acting almost amused. Shocked, I honestly didn't know how to respond to that “question” so when Matt did, I was more than glad.

“I told them that I was her fiancée the time she was in here before. It-”

“What time before?” Lucas demanded looking from Matt to me and so on, back and forth before stopping on me. “Why the fuck were you in here before?”

“She almost died in a fire; then after, her lungs weren't working right or some shit like that so she was taken here.” Matt stated plainly. Thank God he didn't go into extensive detail, I seriously wanted to hug and kiss him for that. Really, I did. I looked up at Lucas' shocked face once more and knew then that he was at some point, now going to demand an answer as to why I was in a fire. He’ll probably also want to know my medical history in its entirety as well. To tell you the truth, I've been in hospitals so often I don't even know my full medical history by any means.

“Anyways.” I drew out, interrupting their current discussion of me after I wasn’t able to stand it anymore. I mean, I am right here sitting in a hospital bed, while they “discuss” me.

“Well, Ale's awake.” Lucas smiled at me as did Matt. A huge grin made its way to my face slowly but surely. I must have looked like a fucking Cheshire cat grinning in that damned hospital bed. Still seeing the two of them side by side was a strange, foreign concept. Both had their own....

You know what? I'm not going to even attempt to compare the both of them because it’s just downright impossible. Both are amazing in their own ways; and those ways don't particularly matter right now anyways.

“Can I see him?!” I almost yelled out of pure excitement and relief. He was okay... Tears, happy tears, streamed out of my eyes like little rivers. So that's why Lucas AND Matt are here right now? Hum.

“Well that's the thing.” My smile turned upside down. Of course there's a fucking catch! There always is! “You were supposed to go to the hospital he was in but the intensive care unit was full and there wasn't any room... plus technically you still… are a child...” I could tell Lucas was getting a kick out of Matt’s last statement so I threw my empty plastic cup at him. It only hit his chest but it worked. I was actually aiming towards his head to get him to shut up but it seemed to shut up with his chuckling. Damn, I wish water was inside! I wanted to punch his head multiple times...over… and over. He is just plain infuriating. Matt looked between us weirdly and then held back a laugh before finishing. “They brought you to the children's hospital... Ale isn't in here he’s in General.

“That's just fucking great...” I mumbled to myself.

“He's going to be in there for a while, even longer than you'll be in here probably... but you can’t see him until you are released.” It broke my heart in pieces; I couldn’t even be there for him like he had all those times for me. I felt like a failure as a best friend. I'll most likely end up being in here for months and then Ale will be all alone, all that time...

“Hey… At least you both are alive.” Lucas whispered softly to me as he rubbed his fingertips over my cheek. I guess that's true. He has a point (but I would never admit that to him!) Jerk. Thinking my being only 17 is hil-arrrrrr-ious! AHH!

“Does he know about Rain yet?” I choked out watching sadly as Lucas and Matt both nodded in unison. I was fuming inside by what happened to her, to Ale also but I was still so emotionally torn on the outside. “Don't tell him about me...“

“Blaire he's gonna know something's up when you don't come see him, he obviously isn't stupid. Besides that, he knows you better than us all, not even a heartless bitch would be able to stay the fuck away if their best friend was in the hospital like he is.” I bit my lip in thought. Matt was right, Ale would hate me if I didn’t come and he didn’t know I wasn’t able to. He would think I didn’t care.

“Just,” I sighed “tell him I love him and that I'm fine. Don't tell him what happened. Please… If anything tell him about my parole; fucking lie if you have to! DONT tell him I'm here in the hospital, please! Make something up, anything!I don’t care what it is. Just don’t tell him I’m here!” I begged.

-

The next week went slowly on and on. It droned and I swear that 24 hours seemed like 100 instead. I couldn't sleep much, only when the doctors made me by knocking me out; and I was bored and getting really anxious. Matt, Lucas and the other guys took turns staying with me during visiting hours but when they were gone it was hard to keep sane. I felt caged...again.

They seem to be getting along at least which was a good thing; Lucas and Matt that is. Sort of almost like friends but not quite; a part of me wants to believe it wasn’t all for show but it’s a tad too good to be true. They punch each other around a bit, and boom, suddenly they are respectful of each other as friends...if only things were really that easy.

The one time I actually fell asleep myself was oddly the day I was getting out. What the hell's the meaning behind that? I’m still wondering.

“Hey.” A voice said in my ear as a hand brushed through my hair. Usually flinching would be first on my “too do” list but I recognized certain voices quickly before that would happen- even if it was an instinct reaction- this being one of those times

“What Lucas?” I snapped before turning my body and head, frustrated and annoyed. It had to have been written all over my face too.

“What? Fine, you don't want to get out than you won’t!” He exclaimed loudly turning to walk away. My arm bolted out and grabbed the back of his shirt tightly preventing him from moving any more. He turned once again back to face me; he had a huge smile on his face. “I wouldn't do that to you babe, I couldn't bare to piss you off anymore.” He smirked.

“Asshole...” I grumbled at his “joke.” Inside my nerves and happiness were surging, I was getting out, FREEDOM! Finally!

An hour later I was free. Like seriously, free!!! Well to an extent. I was carried everywhere or wheeled around. Still, at least in a wheel chair I was semi-independent because I could easily wheel myself around. Otherwise, 9 times out of 10 Lucas carried me around. I swear he enjoyed it way too much. (Basking in my fucking misery, the damn jackass!) The other 1/10 of the time I was with Matt, like now.

“Let me walk please?” I begged Matt looking up to his dimpled face.

“No.” He stated plainly like he had been repeating the last 20 times I asked while he carried me into the General hospital.

“Come on, just put me down outside the door and let me walk in myself, Ale doesn't know and he'll go crazy if you carry me in.” Matt stopped his steps to ponder over it a moment. I could see the battle raging in his mind; to let me or to not. I wasn’t supposed to walk granted, but it was like 5 feet’s distance and I am allowed to do bathroom stuff alone so... it was a given I could walk that short of a distance myself. Yet would he allow me to walk myself? Who ever thought I would need someone’s permission to walk 5 fucking feet alone?!?!

“Fine.” He gave in. YES!!! I mentally cheered inside my head over and over. I wanted to jump around, geeze I think this whole hormonal thing is changing me. I never used to think like this...

Matt sat me down outside the closed door and let me go in alone, I was grateful. I stopped, pausing a brief minute with my hand on the knob. I zoned a bit as I watched Matt's retreating form walk back the way we had originally came, towards the waiting room area. My mind raced with the 'what if's' of what could and might happen. What would he look like, is he injured really, really badly? And what about now, he needs me and all I'm doing is fucking standing out here! I scolded myself and just went inside. It was dark for the most part except the small amount of sunlight being let in the window from the outside; I think curtains blocked it out for the most part, at least from the looks of it.

Ale lay there on his side, his back facing me. I walked or rather stumbled my way towards the bed. You never appreciate your legs unless you haven't used them in over a week. It was strange not being used to the walking. And it hurt like a bitch, all the after affects... I gently touched my hand to his shoulder and felt him shudder. I knew he was awake. As further proof he slowly turned to lay on his back, his red and puffy eyes met mine and he started to sob loudly. My own tears fell as I sat down on the edge of the bed and leaned down to hug him tightly. Our reasons for crying were drastically the opposite, mine happiness, his sadness though we needed each other. It was just a case of which was stronger in overwhelming us at that very moment in time.

His arms encircled me as he cried.

I never saw him cry before; at least not until now.

He was always the strong one, me the weak one emotionally. And it hurt to see him sad and hurting.

I knew he was hurting, just that look on his face. We never said a word to each other that whole day or any of the remaining days at the hospital. For three days it was a somber, sad atmosphere. I never left his side though, I owed him that much. I felt horrible for not being here with him earlier.

The two of us shared that tiny bed, him most of the time lying on his side, his head on my shoulder with his arm draped across my upper stomach around my rib cage. It feel as normal as it would most likely ever be again. Him and me lying there together, in silence, thinking. Just being there in the presence of one another was good enough to make things somewhat better. God only knows how much longer we would both be on bed rest. (For different reasons of course but nonetheless you get my point.)
♠ ♠ ♠
Subscribe, please?