‹ Prequel: Dead Silence

Dead Wrong

Looking For Darkness

The thunder outside shook the old foundation of the house as it clashed. Jack held me closer to him as we both sat on the couch. The loud sounds coming from outside were making it impossible to get any sleep.

James however seemed unaffected by it, as he slumbered soundly in his room. Or at least he was the last time I checked. Jack tightened his grip on me slightly, wrapping the fleece blanket around my legs some. The living room was quiet, save the roar from outside.
I always thought that silence was a virtue. After living so long with the thoughts of everyone around me in my head, I’d forgotten what silence felt like. This silence was like a pelage, it hung over us in the air, infecting us with each breath. It was a silence that was louder than the thunder.
It wasn’t comforting, it wasn’t peaceful. It was scary, and worrisome. It spread through my veins like sweet poison, and slowly ate me from the inside out. Even the sound of my own breath was not comfort.
I looked around the dark room, for what I’m not sure, but something. Someone, something, somewhere. I could feel them. I could feel him. I knew that Jack was exhausted, he has to be. He works all day at the diner, only to come home and spend all night worrying and waiting.
When the boy last got a good sleep, I haven’t a clue. He’s so on edge, every noise makes him jump. Everything James or I do, he questions. He’s just as scared as I am. And for once, that’s comforting.
“Jack…” I said softly, not to startle him. His weary emerald eyes look down at me.
“Yes baby?”
“Don’t you think we should try to get some sleep?” I asked.
“Don’t you worry about me, I’ll be fine, but if you’re tired, then you can sleep, I’ll be here” he said with a warm smile.
“You need your sleep too”
“I’ll be fine baby” he said, nuzzling my neck.
Snowball leaped up onto the couch, causing both Jack and I to jump. She cocked her head to the side and looked at us. Again her purr was loud, like a wooden ball rolling across the floor.
“Oh, it’s just you kitty” he meowed, climbing into my lap. Such as sweet little creature. I don’t see why James doesn’t like her.
“Lilly are you sure having this thing is a good idea?”
“Of course it is! She’s so sweet” Jack looked at the feline.
Another flash of lightening lite up the room, Snowball’s eyes flickered a deep crimson red.
“Did you see that?!” Jack yelled, pushing the cat off the couch.
“What?”
“Its eyes!”
“Yeah, so? The lighting did that to them, don’t you know that?” I could hear Jack’s heart beat racing in his chest. He’s over tired, and his mind is playing tricks on him.
“Calm down Jack, it’s okay, I think we should go to bed now” I said, standing up and reaching a hand out to him. He looked over at snowball who was licking her paw, before taking it.
“I should go check on James one last time before we go to bed” I said as we got to the top of the stairs. Jack nodded, retreating to our bed room. “Just make it quick”
Trying my best not to make the old wooden floor boards creak, I crept over to James’ door and peered in. His bed was made perfectly, just like this morning. He was in bed asleep the last time I checked where the hell is he? And why’d he make the bed?
I opened the door more, this time not so quietly. He wasn’t anywhere in the room. My heart pounded in my chest, where is he?!
“JACK!” I called frantically. Within seconds Jack was by my side, his arms around me.
“What’s wrong? Where’s James?” he asked all in one breath.
“I-I don’t know” I stuttered.
“Did you check the bathroom?”
“N-no the lights were off” I said, struggling out of Jack’s grip and running over to the hallway bathroom.
“It’s locked!” I shouted, trying my hardest to turn the knob. Jack pushed me aside, grabbing the knob in a tight grip and forcing it to break open. The door swung back, and a familiar smell filled my lungs.
“OH GOD!” I screamed running into the small space. On the floor lay James, his wrist slit, his body covered in the metallic crimson liquid. A scream escaped my lips, as I fell to my knees, picking him up in my arms.
“Oh shit!” Jack exclaimed as he saw the blood that was now covering the both of us.
“James! James!” I cried, shaking his limp body. The cuts on his wrist were no longer bleeding; he’d been up here for a while. Tears slid down my face as he didn’t respond.
“Jack do something!” I screamed.
“Lilly what do you want me to do?!”
“I-I don’t know”
Just then, James’ slowly opened and he lifted his head up.
“James!” I cried out, hugging him tight.
“W-Why can’t I die?” he asked softly, tears falling down his cheeks.
“Why do you want to die?”
“Because, I just do” he whispered.
“I’m not letting you die James!” I swore holding the shaking boy in my bloody arms. Jack just stared at James with a horrified expression.
“Don’t ever do that again! You scared me”
“I’m sorry Lilly, I didn’t mean to hurt you”
“It’s okay James, you’re going to be okay now”