‹ Prequel: Dead Silence

Dead Wrong

Join Us

Tears fell down my face, as I tried to scrub the blood stains from the cold tile. Why would he do this? Maybe Jack was right, I should look into him just for a second. If he’s already tried to kill himself, then what might he do next.

I was supposed to protect him, and look what had happened. He’d needed someone and I wasn’t there for him. I have to protect him, even if it means going into his mind.

I’m scared though; scared of the memories it’ll bring back, memories of my own mother’s death.

One thought wouldn’t leave my restless mind, he’d made two clean slits up his wrist, he should be dead. With the amount of blood on the floor, and his size, this should have been fatal.

Yet, it clearly wasn’t. He was in his room, talking to Jack. Still visibly upset, but seemed to have recovered. How the hell did he spring back so quickly? Of course I knew of one way, but that can’t be true. He’s no monster, he’s just a child. A lost child.

My back cracked as I straightened it. Dunking the over used sponge into the pink water one more time; I drug it across the floor. It’s late; I’ll have to bleach it tomorrow. For tonight, everyone needs there sleep.

I stood up and dumped the bloody water down into the bath tub. The sound of the water running through the piles filled my ears. I closed my burning eyes and sighed. A dull throb had begun in my head.

I walked through the dark hallway. James was asleep in his room. I should get to sleep, tomorrow is going to be a long day.

Our room was dark, and silent. To silent, the faint sound of Jack’s breathing was absent from the scene. Little by little my ears began to pick up a small snipping sound. Holding my breath, and stepping carefully toward the bathroom I placed a shaking hand on the door knob.

From the crack beneath the door, the flickering light of a candle could be seen. Carefully I began to open the door a bit. As I did, long blond pieces of hair fell to the dusty floor beneath the sinks.

“Close now, thine eyes… and rest secure” a sweet voice sung. It wasn’t Jack’s but I could help but to be drawn in by it.

I opened the door enough to see the profile of a man standing in front of the mirror. Long silky blond hair cascaded down over his eyes and shoulders, before reaching mid-way down his calves. He wore a scarlet suit with, puffy white fabric peeking through the sleeves and neck.

A boney white finger scratched down the side of his pale cheek.
“Close now thine eyes, and rest secures No sleep so sweet as thine, no rest so…”

As he sung the final note, he turned his head, reveling his shimmery ruby red eyes.
“… sure” he sung, reveling a blood stained smile.

Blood dripped from his thin lips, onto the floor beneath. My body felt frozen in time as he paced over to me, wrapping five of those boney fingers around my throat, pressing me to the wall.

“When are you going to join us?” he asked his lips only inches from my neck. I opened my mouth to scream, but I couldn’t.


“Lilly?” Jack’s voice called from the darkness. My eyes snapped open to see Jack leaning over me. I looked around; I was still on the bathroom floor. My head was killing me.

“No, don’t get up” he said as I tried to prop myself up on my elbows.
“What-what happen?”
“I think you fainted sweetheart are you okay?” my neck was still burning like his hand still had a tight grip on it.

I gasped as my throat seemed to almost close up.
“Lilly?” Jack called my name frantically.

“I-I can’t breathe” I cried, holding my throat. This was no dream, I was awake, but it still felt like he was here in this room.

I felt my walls I’d built shatter and break. His voice came flooding in. His manic laughter filled my head. No! I desperately tried to block him out, but he was too strong. The more I tried the louder his voice became.

“How long did you think you’d be able to fight me off?”
I clenched the sides of my head, covering my ears. Jack wrapped his arms around me.
“Lilly what’s going on?”

“T-the voice!” I cried out.

“Ha-ha stupid little boy, I’m too strong for you to fight off, even he can’t stop me now, do you feel me Lilly? I’m here with you; I’m in your very mind now”

I gasped as I felt a blow to my stomach causing me to double over in pain. Jack watched in horror as this invisible forced raged against me. I felt sick to my stomach as his laugh echoed in my head.

“J-Jack…” I moaned, reaching out for him. He grabbed my hand lacing our fingers together. I had to break the hold as I leaned over the toilet, getting violently sick.

My heart dropped in my stomach as I saw that familiar black liquid. No, this can’t be fucking happening! Jack bit his lip, he knew. We both knew.
“Jack”

“It’s okay baby, I’m right here” he said wrapping his arms around me, and picking me up. It was getting harder to keep my eyes open as he carried me into our room, placing me down on the bed.

I felt the warmth fade from my shirt as he stood back up.
“Don’t leave me!” I cried out.

“I’m not leaving you” he said calmly, brushing my hair back. Jack laid beside me and pulled me into him. I sobbed quietly into his chest, before sleep took me once again.

“Lilly?” My eyes snapped open to see Jack’s beautiful green orbs looking down on me. They sparkled in the early morning light. A smile was spread across his pale lips, as he stroked my forehead.
“J-Jack?”

“Good morning baby, I’ve got to leave for work, but if you want me to stay here I promise you I will” I could tell in his voice that he wanted me to tell him to stay.

It would just drive us both insane, he needed to go to work, to get his mind off things. Besides I feel better.

“No, that’s okay Jack, I’m feeling much better, go to work”
“Okay, baby, I love you, and remember if you need me just call”
“Okay, I love you too” he pressed his lips to mine softly before turning to get dressed.

Jack had left for work a few minutes ago, and now I was sitting hugging my knees against my chest. James sat in front of me, staring at his untouched breakfast.
One look wouldn’t hurt. Just to make sure he’s okay.

“James, you should eat something” I said.

“I’m not hungry” he responded in monotone. I nodded and removed the plate from in front of him, putting the uneaten food into the trash. I looked over at the boy who sat motionless.

Taking a deep breath I let my walls down. I waited for his tortured soul to flood into my brain, to take me on that dreaded journey. My heart sank in my chest as the silence. My own thoughts and emotions the only thing I felt.

No, I have to try harder; maybe he’s just more distant. I pressed harder, trying to will myself to feel him. My eyes shot back open as tears fell down them. Tears of fear I cried as the silence bore the truth.