‹ Prequel: Dead Silence

Dead Wrong

Tooth and Nail

I tried in vain to calm my erratic breath, before pulling my sleep pants back on and returning to Jack. He was lying down on the bed, a worried expression on his face.

“Are you okay?” he asked.
“I’m fine”

“Alright, come to bed, you need your sleep” he said, patting the mattress. I climbed into bed, and he pulled the covers over both of us, wrapping his arms around me. The place on my thigh felt like it was on fire. I turned away from Jack, so he couldn’t see the obvious pain on my face.

“Lilly, are you sure you’re alright?” I nodded, in too much pain to even talk. It felt like someone had taken a scorching frying pan and was pressing it against my flesh. I opened my eyes, but I could barely even make out what was right in front of me.

My hand went to my stomach; the old scars from my last encounter with the foul creatures from Hell had begun to burn as well. As the seconds ticked by, the shearing pain only grew and grew.

“Snowball, get off the bed” I heard Jack growl. Snowball let out an irritated yowl as Jack shooed him off the bed.

The pain was becoming too much for me to bare in silence, and a small moan escaped my lips. Jack leaned over me, brushing my hair out of my face.

“Baby, something wrong”
“I-It’s just a headache” I lied.

“Are you sure?” he asked, stroking my cheek.

“Y-Yeah” I said, the pain beginning to lessen. Jack took my answer for the truth and left it alone.

“Sweetheart, wake up” my angel’s sweet voice cooed softly to me. My eyes fluttered open, to see his smiling face, the morning rays shining behind him.

“Mm, good morning” I said, rubbing my eyes. Just seeing Jack’s face every morning made me feel safe and secure. He’d never let anything bad happen to me.

“I’ve got to get going to work, of course if you want me to stay here with you today, then all you have to do is ask”

“No, no, that’s okay, you go to work, I’ll be fine” I assured him, caressing the side of his face.
“Okay, I love you and I’ll see you after work, stay safe” he said kissing me softly on the lips before grabbing his apron and keys.

I laid my head back down against the plush fabric of the pillow. I could hear the front door shut as Jack left. As soon as it clicked, the fear flooded back into me.

I’ve got to talk to James today. There’s no way I can keep quiet about this any longer. Besides Jack’s starting to get suspicious. I need to find out what’s going on. I’m scared though, I’m alone in the house with a demon.

I coughed, feeling something coming up my throat. I could feel something sharp and hard rising in my throat, almost chocking me. I gagged as blood dripped from my lips onto the covers.

I could feel a hard, cold rod in the back of my throat, and I could taste a metallic metal on my tongue. I began to cough violently as more blood poured from my lips, followed by a the cold rod.

I covered my mouth as I caught site of the strange object. The dark red blood stained creamy white sheets and in the middle, covered in the crimson liquid was a hard nail. I picked it up, my hands shaking around it.

Sure enough it was a long iron stake; at least a few inches long. I dropped it, jumping out of bed.

From inside my head I heard the demonic laughter.
“A-Abbadon?”

“Yes?” his scratchy voice answered. I covered my mouth with my hands as the tears spilled from my eyes.

“W-Why are you doing this to me!” I shouted, demanding an answer.

”Well I guess you could say I’m just driving into the steak your approaching fate” he laughed.

“Leave me alone!” I screamed.

“Lilly are you okay?” I heard James’ young voice call. My heart jumped in my chest as I heard the approaching foot steps of the young boy.

I turned in horror to see him standing at the door way. His eyes went over to the bloody mess on the bed.

“W-What happened?” he asked, his knees trembling.

“J-James…” I mouthed. He started to slowly back away from me, shaking his head as he did so.

“Y-You know don’t you?” he said, tears forming in his soft eyes.

“Yes” I whispered.

“No, no, Lilly please” he begged.

”James… why?”
“I-I had no choice… he told me I had to”