Their Violence, Your Silence.

Marley and Jealousy Don't Go Well Together

Monday morning felt surreal to me. Everything seemed so normal as I entered the school
and listened to Cassie chatter about her weekend. Mostly about what she and Shane had done.

English seemed to fly by but I struggled to keep my attention. I kept seeing that man in the hotel and the memory of Caleb’s arms protective around me was so hard to shake. I caught myself wishing to be back in his arms again one too many times.

It didn’t help that he was sitting right there in the room with me and that he occasionally turned to cast a concerned look in my direction. Or was I just imagining the concern?

Judging by the scowl on Marley’s face at the end of the period I wasn’t imagining anything. I wished he’d stop it, it might be nice that Marley was somehow intimidated by me but that didn’t mean I wanted to give her more reasons to bully me.

At the end of the period she’d attached herself to Caleb so firmly that even the teacher was glancing oddly in their direction.

I didn’t see any of them again till lunch. Caleb and Marley sat at their usual table and Cassie joined me in my quiet corner.

‘You’ve been awfully quiet Winter… you alright?’ asked Cassandra as soon as she sat down with her tray of food. She’d pilled a bizarre amount of food on it that I was sure she’d never be able to finish all.

I smiled at her, ‘Course I’m alright Cass, I’m always quiet…’ I added in a ‘duh’ kind of way. It was a silly question.

She laughed at that, ‘I know, it just seems like you’ve got something on your mind. Want to talk about it?’

I had too much on my mind I thought but I wasn’t going to tell anyone about what happened
Saturday. There was just no way. I was sick of everybody worrying about me so I sure as hell wasn’t going to put oil on the flames by telling Cassie or Jared about the almost rape situation.

I was sure Caleb wasn’t going to say a word to anyone, I was sure that now he thought she was save he’d revert back to his old behavior. I hoped that would be the kind of behavior I was used to by now.

That at least I could sort of understand. I knew how to deal with that.

‘You sure Winnie? Caleb’s been giving you weird looks all morning…’ I sighed, why did she have to notice that?

Shrugging my shoulders I said: ‘You should ask him what that’s about. I don’t understand that boy.’ Cassie nodded thoughtfully, she nodded! Was she really going to ask him? My stomach clenched nervously.

‘Cassie? What’s your favorite movie?’ I asked trying to divert her attention. It worked marvelously, as I knew it would. Cassie couldn’t keep her attention on one thing for very long.

*~*~*~*~*


It was the end of school and I’d found a spot at one of the picnic tables outside. Already I was working my way quickly through the assigned homework of today. It helped me keep my thoughts focused on something normal and simple.

Jared would be picking me up at six pm, late, but I didn’t mind. I had one of my favorite books with me so I wouldn’t get bored.

The sound of voices broke me from my concentration and when I realized they were getting closer I quickly looked around to see who it was.

My mouth went dry with fear as I realized it was Marley and her gang. What were they still doing here? The parking lot was practically deserted by now.

I hurriedly started shoving my books back in my pack so I could find a place to hide until they’d left as well.

Thinking I could make it I turned away from the table and started towards the side of the school building. Hoping to hide behind one of the corners so I could see them leave.

‘Well well, what have we got here?’ I heard the familiar high pitched voice say behind me.

My shoulders sagged automatically. Damn it! I so couldn’t use this right now…’ I turned slowly to face them. Knowing that running now would only make it worse.

Marley stood in front of me. Hands on her hips, hips sheathed in a tight soft green mini skirt that belied her nature. The white blouse and black coat she wore would have looked serious and mature on anyone but her, or her gang maybe.

Instead she made the clothing look daring and sexy and slightly slutty. Her gang, which had now circled her so she couldn’t get away , all wore similar clothing. I wondered why they thought they were cool and original when all they did was copy each other.

‘Didn’t I warn you Winter? Didn’t I tell you not to try anything funny with my boyfriend?’ Marley’s voice was dangerously low and sharp as she said those words.

I swallowed, she had warned me about that, it seemed like ages ago now. The tone of voice made me realize this was no game anymore though. She wasn’t just making fun of me to make herself look better. This was serious.

‘But no! You were all over him at the movie theater weren’t you? You filthy whore!’ I was shoved hard from behind so that I nearly crashed into Marley, she in turn pushed me back her nails digging painfully into my arms.

‘Watch out! You’re nothing more than a gold digging whore! You just want him for his money, because you’re poor. Poorer then dirt!’ The shoves we’re coming from all directions now. I felt like sack of potatoes getting tossed about.

‘You just want him for his looks!’ the words slipped from my mouth before I could stop myself. Stupid! I scolded myself. No matter how true I thought it was.

‘What did you say?’ Marley stepped closer to me, her manicured hands grabbing the collar of my shirt tightly. Her eyes flashing in anger.

‘I said: you just want him for his looks! You don’t give a shit about him. You’re no better than a gold digging whore!’ it was a mistake saying that of course but I felt anger bubbling in the pit of my stomach now.

After this weekend it seemed so pointless and stupid to fight over what happened at the movies. It seemed like that happened in a different age entirely.

Marley screeched as if I’d slapped her physically and then grabbed for my glasses. I dodged somehow and managed to slip out of her one handed grip on my shirt.

‘Are you comparing yourself to me? Dirt!’ she yelled and I could hear her gang around me gasp and call me names now.

I was shoved a few times again but I was getting better at dodging the grabbing hands.

‘That’s low, coming after me five to one, aiming for my glasses. I’m sick of it! Sick of all of you! You’re the ones pathetic!’

The words just kept spilling from my lips and I knew I was doomed. Already I could feel the bruises forming on my ribs and sides from their hard pushing but it was going to get a lot worse soon.

Marley was so angry now that she seemed to have lost the ability to speak. All the sound she was making now was a sort of hissing, reminding me strongly of an angry cat. The tall girl surprised me by throwing me a left hook that hit me squarely on my jaw.

She packed some mean power for a girl so thin. A moment everything swam in front of my eyes and then everything got hazy as Marley ripped my glasses from my face.

Hands from all around me grabbed me and held me in place so I couldn’t dodge or run or even fight back. I struggled wildly nonetheless.

‘You want to see low? I’ll show you low! Don’t you ever come near my boyfriend ever again!’
Ah she’d found her voice again… I cringed when I heard the unmistakable sound of my glasses falling on the ground and then the glass breaking when someone stepped on them.

‘I’ll make sure you can never see him again!’ Marley said as she continued to grind her heal into what remained of my precious glasses. How someone could be so cruel I would never understand. Tears of anger and loss pricked at my eyes but I forced them away. I wouldn’t give them the pleasure of seeing me cry.

Marley was now just a blur in front of me but I knew she’d raised her hand to hit me again.

‘That’s quite enough!’ said a distinctly male voice from close by. The girls all around me let out loud gasps and Marley yelped indignantly. As if she’d been stung.