Their Violence, Your Silence.

First Aid Kit

For the second time I felt relief and then shame flood my body.

Caleb.

Of all people it was Caleb who found us like this. Found me like this, about to be beaten in such a way I’d never dare show my face here again. When I’d been yet again the victim, unable to fight for myself.

Of course I was glad I wouldn’t get hurt, already Marley’s gang was letting go off me. Backing away slowly. Caleb was talking to Marley and it didn’t sound very friendly.

I couldn’t focus on what they we´re saying, it seemed like with my ability to see my ability to hear had diminished as well. Or was that just the adrenalin leaving my system?
Then there was a warm hand on my shoulder it startled me, near blind as I was I had no idea who was touching me.

'This way Winter, seems like I get to take you home again,' Caleb's voice sounded surprisingly gentle. The hand shifted to the small of my back and started to push me forward. Guiding me slowly across the uneven ground towards the parking lot.

'Caleb? My glasses?' I found myself asking. I sounded hopeless, timid and I hated it. It felt like I had no right to be shaken by what happened just now. It had happened dozens of times the past weeks, I should be used to it by now.

'I'm sorry... They're beyond saving,' came Caleb's reply, and he really did sound sorry even though it wasn't his fault.

We came to a stop and then I heard the sound of a car being unlocked. It was embarrassing the way Caleb had to guide me to the passengers seat and help me sit. I hated being so helpless but that was exactly what being without my glasses made me.

How was I going to explain that to my parents? How we're we going to replace them? I'd just have to wear the spare ones that we're even more ugly and embarrassing. I swallowed, my mom would hate that, she'd work overtime to get me new ones.

I couldn't let her do that. I'd have to somehow convince her that I didn't mind the old ones.

I was startled by the soft purr of the engine, it told me I was in that sleek black car again.
Being around Jared a lot and hanging out in the garage had made me sensitive to such things I guessed.

Jared!

'There's no need to take me home, my brother will be picking me up soon...' I trailed off. I could just hear him shake his head like he knew Jared wouldn't be here for another few hours.

Something landed in my lap.

'Call him to tell him I'm taking you home.'

Oh it was a phone, I fumbled around with it till I managed to dial the number of the garage. I hadn't called it often but I knew it by heart.

Andrew answered on the third ring so I hurriedly told him Jared didn't need to pick me up because I'd gotten a lift with a classmate. It was quiet a moment on the other side of the line before Drew said: 'Is it a boy?' his voice serious.

I hesitated and looked at Caleb even though all I could see was a pink blur where his face was, the rest of him disappearing in the darker blur that was probably the car seat.

'Yeah Caleb is taking me, you know the guy from that black car? The one you and Jar liked so much?'

'Oh, alright I'll let him know. See ya kid,' and then Drew hung up before I could utter another word.

It was quiet a long time, except for the sound of the engine and I could hear Caleb's regular breathing. He hadn't asked for my address again nor was the GPS spewing the occasional direction. So I could only assume he knew how to get to my house without help already.

The engine cut off suddenly but it was too soon, we couldn't be there already. But I heard Caleb undo his buckle and get out of the car.

I'd just managed to open my own door and get up when I felt his hand on the small of my back again. 'Careful, the ground is rather.... uneven,' was all he said as he locked the car behind me and then guided me In the direction of the large looming shape in front of me that was obviously a house.

From what I could see it was my house, had Caleb been speeding to get here so quick?

'Is there anyone home Winter?'

'I don't think so...' I fished around in my pockets until I found my key. Of course nobody was at home, everyone was at work, as always. I could sort of estimate where in the door I had to be to find the lock but it was hard to find the keyhole when I couldn't see it.

I was blushing madly when Caleb's had clasped around mine firmly and guided me effortlessly towards the damned keyhole. 'There,' I hear him mutter softly as the door opened with squeaking hinges.

Feeling more secure in my own house I walked in and deposited my keys on the salon table. 'Thank you for driving me home... again. I'm sorry I'm making you go through so much trouble.' I had already knelled in front of one the cabinets, fishing around for my spare glasses.

'Really Winter, it's no trouble at all. If it weren't for me Marley wouldn't be going after you like that in the first place,' he sounded mad now.

'Found them!' I exclaimed happily as I finally located my spare glasses. I slipped them onto my face and drew a relieved breath when everything jumped into focus. I winced as my hand brushed my cheek and realized a welt was forming there from when Marley had punched me.

When I looked up I almost fell over from the proximity with Caleb. He was standing over me, his fists clenched at his sides. His green eyes staring down at me with so many conflicting emotions raging inside that it made the fear bubble again in the pit of my stomach.

Was he finally going to revert back to the jerk he'd been before Saturday? Back to the Caleb I knew like no other?

I slowly got to my feet, 'Would you ehm like something to drink?' I offered hesitantly. It didn't look like he was planning on leaving soon. He seemed rather rooted to the spot so to speak.

He shook himself and then smiled at me, it was a hesitant, small smile but a smile nonetheless. 'No thank you Winter I'd like the first aid kit though.'

First aid kit? I stared at him in confusion, what did he need a first aid kit for?

'You're hurt,' he said with a frown as he pointed at my face and then at my arms which we're covered in scratches from Marley's nails.

I felt a blush spread to my cheeks again as I realized he was right. How was I going to explain the bruise on my face to my parents? Or Jared? Jared would know immediately that I was being bullied again and my parents would make useless calls that would only make things worse to the principal.

I retrieved the first aid kit from the bathroom quickly.

It was odd, seeing Caleb seated on our old beaten sofa, the flowered futon a little tattered.
He was leaning back on it, his arms spread out, completely at ease. His expensive leather jacket and designer jeans contrasting starkly with the ill state of disrepair everything was in.

He sat me down on the salon table with a gentle tug on my hand and started expertly cleaning a cut on my cheek I hadn't even noticed. He even continued to clean the cuts on my arms despite my protests. Really I could take of those myself.

'I'm sorry Caleb... For causing an argument between you and Marley,' I heard myself say. Even though I didn't really care about Marley, I didn't want to cause Caleb trouble. Not when he was being nice like this. I didn't want him to go back to Marley either though.

He made a very inelegant sound, a snort before he said: 'Please don't talk to me about that bitch.' Our eyes met and his where warm and inviting for once. 'I said it before Winter and I mean it. From now on I will protect you, it's the least I can do after all I put you through.'

The force of the sincerity of his words nearly knocked me over. Caleb Thornleigh really wanted to protect me? He really thought what he'd done to her was unforgivable?

I hadn't realized those green eyes had been getting closer and closer to my face until the sound of the front door opening made us both jump back from each other in surprise.

Caleb immediately stood up to face whoever was coming home. It looked almost like he was preparing for battle.

To my great surprise it was Jared. 'Winter! Are you alright? Oh Caleb what are you still doing here?' my brother didn't sound very friendly at all. What had Drew told to Jared that had made him rush home?

Caleb's response was stepping to the side to reveal me with a dark: 'See for yourself.'
Jared's eyes widened when he saw me. Did I look that bad? It didn't feel all that painful, it hurt when I touched my face and the scratches on my arms burned a little but that was all.

'What happened?' Jared sounded furious now as he strode over to peer at my cheek. Caleb sounded just as furious as he explained in clipped tones how he'd found me. When he put it like that it sounded horrible, as if they'd been torturing me.

'Is this true Winter? Have these girls been bothering you for a long time?' Jared turned to face me again. I shrugged, 'It wasn't too bad.' It really wasn't, it had been Caleb that had made things horrible before, but I wasn't going to say that of course. Not after he saved me twice and vowed he would protect me twice as well.

'She'll just deny it, she's to stubborn to accept help,' said Caleb to my brother. 'But I'm going to make sure it won't happen again, ever.' He walked to the front door and turned around there to cast her a stern look. 'I'm picking you up in the morning to drive you to school Winter,' he said and then he nodded to Jared and walked out.

He'd drive me to school? Was he insane? Even more people would see me with him, that couldn't be good for his status.

'Seems like you made a good friend there sis,' Jared patted my shoulder. 'I approve.'
♠ ♠ ♠
There, an extra long chapter!
Thanks for all the amazing comments I got after i put up chapter 15 and 16.
I really wasn´t expecting that, it really made my day.