Their Violence, Your Silence.

Eyes Like Violence

When I woke up the sun was already filtering into my room. Reflecting brightly off of the silver colored mobile hanging above my bed. It depicted the our solar system and had been a present from Katie.

I smiled as I remembered receiving it.

‘I’m going to miss you so much!’ Katie gushed, smothering me in a hug.

‘Kate! I’m still going to live in this city, you can visit me every day if you wanted too…’ I mumbled it quietly into her shoulder. I was going to miss her a hell of a lot as well.

‘I know Winnie… It’s just, I’ll miss having you around at school,’ Katie whined.

We were sitting in her car in the school parking lot, although the day was over and the place was by now already deserted.

I scoffed: ‘You mean you’re going to miss all the fights don’t you?’ but I smiled when I said it. Katie was the only one who stood up for me and although a lot of people shunned her because of it she still had plenty of other friends.

With her by my side I didn’t mind school all that much and I swallowed nervously thinking about how much that would change. It was as if Kate read my mind because she said:

‘Don’t worry Winter, that new school will be fine! No one knows you there so I’m sure you’ll make plenty of new friends. Before you know it you’ve forgotten all about me!’

I seriously doubted that but I shrugged and hugged her again. ‘I’m not going to forget you! Silly…’

Katie grinned mischievously at that, ‘Oh I know! I’ve got a present that will make you remember me for the rest of your life.’

She pulled a package from under the driver seat and deposited in my lap, ‘You unwrapped that and I’ll drive you home for the last time.’

I gasped loudly as the silver mobile unfurled in my lap, it was stunningly beautiful and I was sure it had cost her a fortune.

‘No Winter, you are going to keep that no matter what you say. You’re worth every penny because you’re my best friend!’


I loved my mind reading best friend.

Still smiling I quickly got up and washed. Then dressed in one of Katie’s old jeans. They had been snug and tight fitting on her but I had to hold them up with a belt and fold them at the bottom so they wouldn’t drag on the ground.

I pulled one of my own sweaters on over an old t-shirt of Jared (all bought at a second hand store). My bag had already been packed last night so I quickly skipped down the stairs.

It wasn’t that I was in a rush to get to school but Jared had to drop me off and then get to his job in time and I didn’t want him to be late.

When we arrived at school the parking lot was still more or less deserted although the teachers had already arrived. I hopped out and waved at Jared as he drove off, smiling as he stuck his head out of the window and yelled at me to behave.

Then with leaden shoes I entered the school. I made my way quickly towards my first class for the day. It’s a pity Katie wasn’t right about quickly making new friends at this school…

This was my fifth week here already and so far no one at even remotely sounded friendly.

Except for the teachers of course. I sighed sadly at that, I couldn’t care less if the teachers hated me… The fact that they liked me only made the others dislike me all the more.

*~*~*~*~*


I’d survived so far with only a minimum of accidents, just the normal laughter as I entered a class and the poking and kicking against my chair. Even the hair pulling and the one paper airplane someone had thrown at me I considered minor.

Too bad the morning had passed so quickly and it was time for lunch now. It was hard to avoid people then, especially because none of the teachers seemed to be around then.

I was the last to leave the classroom and the hallway was nearly empty as I slowly made my way to the cafeteria. I had the feeling my relatively calm morning was going to brutally come to an end.

For a moment I considered just eating outside but the thought was interrupted by the sound of approaching boys. It wasn’t hard to miss as they bantered amongst themselves loudly.

‘Hey Caleb did you see that game last night?’ One of the guys said loudly.
Immediately my stomach clenched in fear. Not Caleb! I had to get away and fast.

I turned around quickly and dashed towards the cafeteria doors, I’d prefer a large crowd off people anytime over the company of Caleb Thornleigh. In a crowd I wouldn’t stand out as much and he might not notice me.

I collided with something solid with an audible thud and I cried out startled. ‘Omph,’ I landed hard on the linoleum floor and my bag went sprawling.

I looked up in surprise as I pressed my glasses firmly back.

My breathing got stuck in my throat as I stared up at his face. Stared up at his perfection. He was tall and broad shouldered, buff from being on the schools swim team. His skin just slightly tanned to give him a healthy almost golden glow, a last vestige of the warm summer.

His brown hair fell just past his ears, not exactly straight but not exactly curled either. It had a golden sheen to it as well. His eyes were of a startling color green that had every single girl in school swooning for him.

Those green eyes were cold and hostile now as they stared down at me. A smirk appeared on his lips and I knew that couldn’t mean anything good for me.

I silently cursed myself for realizing Caleb wasn’t with the guy’s approaching but behind me, just leaving the cafeteria. That’s why the guy spoke so loud.

‘Watch where you’re going, geek!’ Caleb spat at me. And no matter how cruel he sounded right now I couldn’t help but think his voice was downright amazing to listen too.

‘Oh wait,’ he drawled turning to his friends, ‘She can’t because she’s blind! Blind as a bat.’

The guys guffawed loudly and one of them grabbed my bag of the ground. ‘Let’s see what she’s got in here.’

I stared in horror as the boy, Damian turned my bag upside down so it’s contents spilled all over the floor. ‘No don’t please!’ I squeaked. My books were already so battered! The math book was even missing several pages…

I was pulled roughly off the floor by Caleb himself, as he grabbed the front of my shirt. My feet dangled helplessly in the air as he held me there effortlessly.

‘Not my books…’ I groaned as Damian stomped on one. The spine broke and I cringed as saw several more pages flutter away. This provoked off course more laughter.

The guys then passed me and Caleb by as they entered the cafeteria, still laughing loudly. A furious blush was rising to my cheeks and I felt angry tears prick at my eyes. I blinked trying to hold them in but I couldn’t prevent a few from escaping.

Caleb’s green eyes stared coldly into mine and I shivered from the look. Hate, resentment and disgust were clearly visible in those green orbs.

Suddenly he slammed my back against the wall his hand painful at my throat. ‘You stupid bookworm!’ he growled. The sound strangely animalistic .

Then he let go and stalked off in the opposite direction he came from.

I slid down the wall carefully, my throat sore and my back painful. I was sure bruises would appear there by the end of the day.

Then I scrambled towards my bag, trying to gather everything as well as possible. Although some of the loose pages were so torn I was sure I couldn’t salvage them.