Their Violence, Your Silence.

A Trip Down Memory Lane

Without protest I followed Caleb out to his car that afternoon. Already used to him being at my side whenever I went anywhere. It was strange how easy it was to get used to really.

Even stranger was the fact that Marley hadn't once made a move towards me or even Caleb.

I sat down carefully in the passenger seat of the sleek silver car and smoothed my fingers over the soft leather. It was such a stark contrast to the seat in Jared's car, which was partially held together by duct tape.

'Well? Are you coming or do you want me to take you home?' Caleb's voice was soft but shook me from my reverie nonetheless.

'I don't know...' I said honestly, 'Will Marley be there too?'

He laughed and the sound gave me shivers, good ones, the corners of my mouth tugging up in a smile of their own accord.

'Of course not, why would you think that?' now he looked confused as he pulled out of the parking space and started driving. I noted that he drove in the opposite direction of my house. Seemed like he'd decided for me.

'Well... She's your girlfriend...'

I jolted forward in my seat, the seat belt digging into my shoulder when Caleb slammed on the brakes hard. Luckily the street was utterly deserted. His eyes stared at me intensely
I frowned at him, what was that for?

'Winter... weren't you listening the other day? I broke up with her right in front of you... I don't want anything to do with her ever again.'

Oh...

So that's what they were saying, or well what Caleb had been shouting at her yesterday afternoon.

Feeling happy all of a sudden I smiled at him.

'Okay then yes I'll come over I guess.'

*~*~*~*~*


Caleb´s house was huge. The garage alone held at least seven different cars and I´d glimpsed a set of bikes as well. It was three stories high and looked a little Victorian. One side overgrown with Ivy.

Caleb led me into the house via a door in the partly underground garage and up a small set of stairs. The sight of the living room stole my breath away.

The room was huge with a massive Television dominating one wall. White leather couches set up around it artfully and a glass salon table in front of it. One wall was pure glass, looking out over a patio and beyond that the gardens and an outdoor swimming pool.

There was several small tables and bookshelves as well filled with books and objects of art. One wall boosted an expensive looking painting.

I felt totally out of place with my secondhand to big clothes and crappy spare glasses. The backpack hanging over my shoulder falling apart at the seams.

A shiver ran across my spine when I felt Caleb close behind me, his breath falling across my cheek as he lent forward over my shoulder.

´You can see why the guys want to watch the game here don´t you? If you ask me... it's all so cold and sterile, you could do surgery in here...' he sounded genuinely as if he didn't like it here.

I could see what he meant of course. Everything was expensive and artful. But the living didn't exactly live up to it's name, the place was anything but alive.

'Come I'll show you the kitchen, it's my favorite room. My mom designed it, she always said: the kitchen is the heart of the house.' With a tug on my hand Caleb led me away from the living with its big screen.

The kitchen looked completely different. It was large and probably expensive but that was where the similarities ended.

The kitchen looked warm and homey with chestnut cabinets and light earthy colors. It reminded me of an old farmhouse where an old lady would be baking pies and other delicious foods.

Caleb looked at home as he bustled around, sending a smile my way occasionally, preparing snacks and drinks.

I slipped onto one of the smooth counters as I watched him work. I could almost see his mother flitting around the kitchen herself, the place seemed to radiate her presence just that strongly.

And just like that I realized I didn't know anything about his mother, just that his father owned the Thornleigh hotel chain and that they we're rich. I didn't know anything about Caleb either, except maybe his love for cars and swimming.

'So what does your mom do?' the question slipped out and I blinked in surprise at my own boldness.

Caleb's busy hands stilled for a moment as he stood at the counter opposite to the one I was sitting on, his back turned to me.

'She... well she died three years ago,' he said softly then. He cast me a look over his shoulder, a sad smile on his handsome face.

'Oh...' I said stupidly and then frowned, 'You two we're very close weren't you? That's why you like the kitchen so much. Because it feels like she's right here, with us right now?'

Caleb stared at me for a moment and then in two long strides he was right on front of me. One hand on either side of my legs as he leaned in close to my face.

'You feel that too?'

My mouth had gone dry with nerves. He was so close to me I could feel his breath on my face and count the flecks of brown in his piercingly green eyes. His body a warm barrier in front of me, locking me in.

I had to resist the urge to tuck the strands of his sun touched hair behind his ear. They hung teasingly across his forehead.

'Winter? You're forgetting to breathe...' the amusement was clear in his voice now.

I took in a huge gasp of air, my cheeks already turning red in embarrassment.

'Oops...'

He laughed then at me and it was the kind of laugh that was so infective he had me laughing along with him.

'You startled me!' I accused him, 'I'm not used to guys coming that close to me... Unless they wanna hurt me of course.'

'We'll you better get used to it fast because I'm not going to let anyone hurt you ever again, remember?' was his answer as he stepped in even closer. Meaning he was now standing in between my legs his face mere inches away from mine.

If I hadn't known better I'd have said he sounded possessive.

'Yeah I feel it too.'

At the confused look on his face I added: 'The kitchen is almost alive with her presence. I can see why you like it here.'

'She spend every waking minute in here, cooking up the strangest things. Sometimes inedible but most of the times delicious,' he answered then his gaze turning inward and his mouth turned up into a gentle smile at the memories.

I smiled at him, liking this new gentle side very much and hoping he'd show it to me more often. Of course I still couldn't believe it sometimes, the fact that Caleb Thornleigh was being so nice to me, even breaking up with Marley over me.

Giving in to the urge at last I gently tucked the teasing strands of hair behind his ear. Marveling at the soft texture.

His face was inching even closer to mine and this time I noticed I wasn't the only one holding my breath.

'Riiiiiiiiiiiiiing!'

Caleb sprang away from me as if burned at the sound of the doorbell. Staring at me wide eyed from across the room, his chest having.

'I'm sorry Winter... I shouldn't...Oh I better get that,' and then he darted out of the kitchen.

All I could think was: What the hell? Did Caleb almost kiss me?
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment please ^^