Their Violence, Your Silence.

Don't Break Her Heart

After dinner my mom said as I knew she would: 'Are you staying the night dear? It's already dark out...' Caleb didn't reply immediately but when he answered he sounded genuinely happy to be invited: 'That would be very nice Mrs. Molly, if it's no trouble?'

'Oh no trouble at all! I'll get some blankets and make a proper bed on the couch if that's alright?'

Jared made a spluttering sound and said: 'If the couch is alright of course, we don't have a fancy spare bedroom or anything!'

Caleb sounded offended now as he replied, 'Course that's alright, why wouldn't it be? In fact I'd really like to stay, don't trust myself to get into my car alone right now... Might go off to find the... the... guy who did this to Win!'

That was the first time ever he shortened my name that way and I really liked the sound of it. Of course the fact that he didn't want to leave because he was afraid he'd go searching for Damien was sort of flattering too. Did it mean he was really mad about it?

It seemed my parents and Jared had all fallen quiet at Caleb's outburst and then Jared said: 'If you are going to look for the guy, let me know? I'll come along.'

'Jared!' exclaimed my mom but my dad's silence spoke volumes. Obviously my normally calm and complacent father felt somewhat similar feelings or he'd have been the first to squash such sentiments.

Another silence ensued and then Caleb said softly, 'If it's alright I'd like to step out for a moment to call my father... '

My mom responded immediately with a warm: 'Of course dear. Feel free to do as you like.' With that Caleb stood up and left the room, squeezing my shoulder softly once as he passed me.

When he came back he sat down on his chair quietly and I hated not being able to read his facial expression. Hated not even being able to make out his beautiful green eyes, despite the fact that I knew them so well I could see them with my eyes closed.

I yawned and without further ado was ushered up the stairs to bed by my mother even though it wasn't that late yet.

'You should sleep darling, you had a rough day. If you need anything just yell alright?' she kept saying as she tucked me into bed as if I was a little kid. I let her because I knew it made her feel better.

Caleb had followed us up to my room because he sat down on the edge of my bed quietly after my mom made a quick exit.

'How are you feeling Wins?' he asked me and I felt him take my hand in one of his. His hand big and calloused, it dwarfed mine easily. A warm feeling spreading through me at the use of that nickname again. I really liked it, much better then Winnie...

I smiled up at him despite feeling slightly overcome with fatigue now. I realized that during the past hour the painkillers had started to wear off because by now I was feeling sore again, especially my throat.

'I'm feeling much better Caleb, I just hate being unable to see...'

He might have nodded for he hurriedly said: 'Oh I understand, makes you feel vulnerable doesn't it? I promise you'll get glasses again soon.'

Something about the way he said it made it seem as if he'd already arranged for it... And he did jump to the right conclusion, it made me feel more vulnerable then anything else. I hated having to depend on others so much.

'Sleep tight Wins, call if you need anything okay? Even if its just company you need and it's the middle of the night.' With those last words he softly squeezed my hand and then I felt him brush his fingers across my cheek once.

His footsteps were nearly inaudible as he retreated from my room and I sighed contently as he snuggled into my pillow. I gratefully let blackness swallow me into oblivion when it came.

*~*~*~*~*


When I came back down the stairs both of Winters parents were staring at me and Jared was standing near one of the windows his back towards me.

Mrs. Molly was fussing about the couch with blankets and pillows, trying to make it look like warm and inviting bed I'm sure. I couldn't help but feel a rush of warmth in my chest towards the small red haired woman as she bustled about.

Winter was lucky to have such a loving family. All of them safely at home now and worrying about her. I was lucky too though, that they'd let me stay, that her mother even let me be alone with her for a moment.

I sat down carefully in one of the large chairs, a leather one with some rips and tears in the seating. Despite it's battered look though it was incredibly comfortable as I sank down into it. I could understand keeping a chair this comfortable long past it's due date.

Jared was still staring out the window and I wondered if they'd been arguing about something when I came down. Only now becoming aware of the tense atmosphere.

'Come now Tom, lets go to bed! The boys can sort things themselves,' with that Winters mother took Mr. Ross by the hand and pulled him with her upstairs. Mr. Ross didn't look at me though as he left, no he gave Jared one long look but the guy still had his back to the room.

Well, on the one hand it was nice to be here and to be left alone with just Jared. On the other hand what I really wanted was to sit besides Winters bed and watch over her, even though that sounded a little creepy, even to myself.

I was however infinitely relieved that I wouldn't have to get into my car now and be truly alone. Because I knew without a doubt that I'd go to pay Damien a visit and it wouldn't turn out to be all fun and talk.

'So... who did it?' Jared's heavy rumble, which was not very different from his fathers, broke the silence.

It wasn't hard to figure out what he meant, since I'd just been thinking about it myself. But I shook my head slowly.

'Winter doesn't want to tell... Why? Why does she want to keep it quiet? I don't get it, one word to the police and she'd be rid of him for the rest of the school year...' the words rushed out now that I'd finally voiced that question out loud.

For some reason I hadn't stood up and told her parents and Jared myself. Probably because I did not want to betray her trust, now that I'd earned it. It was stupid of her to keep quiet about this, Damien would think he could get away with it and probably do something again...

The thought alone made my muscles clench and it was hard to get them to relax after that.

Jared was looking at me now and then he answered my question's: 'It's probably because she knows going to the police will ruin this persons life... They'd get a police record, maybe a fine, probably something worse, get expelled from school. She doesn't want that, she's probably not even really mad at them...'

'Not mad? You mean she'd just go and forgive this person despite what he's done? Despite the fact he doesn't even deserve it?' somehow this felt as if we were talking about me now... Was it really that easy for Winter to forgive and forget? Well maybe not forget.

Jared nodded his head solemnly, 'Oh yeah, she understands you know... Why people bully others, why they pick on the outcast, the weird one. She even said once that she couldn't blame them, it's easier that way, she just wished it wasn't her all the time...'

I was at a loss for words then, I felt sort of overcome by the strong feeling of wanting to protect her now. Not just from others but herself too, how could she think like that? Didn't she want to stand up for herself?

But then I shook myself, no she wasn't always shy to talk and soft spoken. I'd heard her talk back to Marley more then once when it was smarter not too. She'd yelled back at me too, in open defiance. Confronted or cornered and she'd show her teeth at last.

'So... Are you going to tell me who did it or not? I know you know who it was,' Jared's low rumble interrupted my thoughts again.

'What will you do if I tell you?' I found myself asking.

After a moment of silence Jared shrugged, 'I don't know, I wont go to the police without her permission if that's what you're worried about...'

'Damien, his name is Damien Richardson...' the name fell from my lips unwanted.

It was quiet again as Jared stared at me with brown eyes that looked so much like Winters. Then he nodded slowly and walked finally away from the window towards the stairs.He passed me on the way and paused a moment at my shoulder, resting his hand on my arm. 'Don't break her heart Caleb Thornleigh!' and then he disappeared up the stairs.

I sat in the semi dark of the deserted living room for a long time thinking about those words and their meaning. Happy to be distracted from my anger towards Damien.

Don't break her heart...

Had I just gained permission from Winters brother to ask her out?