Their Violence, Your Silence.

Grand Games

Caleb had been right, today had been fun. We'd done all kinds of things, like singing parts of songs and guessing which song the other meant. Movie quotes and guessing which movie the quote came from, Caleb was particularly good at that. And not so good at the song game, he was absolutely terrible at singing.

He'd also tried to make chocolate chip cookies in our kitchen but we'd ended up eating pretty much all the cookie doe unbaked. Afterward I wanted to help with the dishes but Caleb insisted I take a shower because I was still covered in flower from our 'flower' fight.

The fight had been totally unfair of course, because I couldn't actually see where Caleb was.

We were currently lying on the floor in the living. We'd brought down pretty much every blanket and pillow and moved aside all the furniture.

I'd insisted on doing more homework and Caleb had complained only a short moment before giving in and reading things out loud for me. After I was satisfied everything was finished we just talked.

Lying shoulder to shoulder next to each other, so close that if I moved my hand just a little I could grab his. I didn't though.

He did not mention the day before or Damien but I could tell whenever it was quiet for a moment that it was on his mind. He'd rush to say something then to distract us both.

I'd stuffed away the memories in a corner of my mind to examine at a better time. I just wanted to enjoy being with Caleb now. We'd never been alone together for this long and already I no longer felt shy to speak my mind.

'Hey!' I exclaimed pushing against his shoulder to emphasize my point. 'I really like that band, they're not stupid...'

Caleb laughed, 'Sorry Wins, I just don't like em...'

A thought struck my mind then, 'When did you hear me sing? I've been wondering that for a long time now... I really can't remember when you might have...'

Caleb stopped laughing and was quiet for a moment. Thoughtful.

'It was after swimming practice... You were in the auditorium and I just happened to hear you as I was leaving. That's all,' he said then.

I remembered the one time where I'd been disturbed by a sudden noise now but I couldn't remember what song I'd been playing then. Thinking back now that might have been the day before I saw Caleb at the garage.

'Caleb... Do you remember what song I was playing?'

He took a while to answer and I guess it was because he was thinking hard to remember it and then he said: 'Think it was Overcome...' I couldn't quite put my finger on the emotion reflected in his voice this time.

Then the doorbell rang and we both jumped in surprise. It wasn't even 2 pm yet, so that couldn't be my family returning from work.

'I'll get it Winter,' said Caleb and I heard him get up and then his muffled footsteps as he walked over to the door. When it opened I strained to recognize the voices talking but I couldn't place the soft low voice I was hearing.

Curious, I got up and with my hands held out in front of me I made my way in the general direction of the door.

'Who is it Caleb?'

'Good afternoon Winter, how are you feeling?' said a low but pleasant voice, a dark edge to it that I recognized as being Caleb's father.

'Hello Mr. Thornleigh, I'm feeling much better. Thank you,' I replied and I thought, that without seeing him he was a lot less intimidating. He seemed genuinely concerned about my well being.

'I came to drop off this and to remind Caleb not to miss practice, he can't afford to get out of shape,' said Mr. Thornleigh and I felt him press an envelope in my hand.

I took it and offered him my thanks politely. Caleb said gruffly: 'Bye dad.' Then the door closed with a soft click and I felt Caleb's hand guide me carefully back to our pile of blankets and pillows.

I said down and then stretched out on my back, making myself comfortable again. What had brought Caleb's father to my house? Delivering a letter personally? What could be in it that was so important?

Only one way to find out I guessed and I tore open the envelop, unceremoniously dumping it's contents in my lap.

I was disappointed to realize that the papers inside were unreadable to me without glasses but Caleb picked them up before I could even ask and said: 'This is a cheque in your name Wins... It's from Damien's father.'

Shivers shot down my spine. So soon? Was this what Caleb made a phone call about last night? I didn't know if I wanted money, it felt wrong. This was money to silence me, to keep me from going to the police and spoil Damien's future.

'How much?' my whisper was hoarse, my throat a little dry all of a sudden. I was painfully aware of the bruises painting my body black and blue, including my sore throat.

Caleb's reply was almost as quiet as my question had been: 'Three grand, and there's papers explaining that the hospital bills have been paid as well...'

I gasped, that was a hell of a lot of money. More then enough to get new, better glasses! Maybe I could get a few new books too, and then we could give the kitchen a new lick of paint.

I felt guilty after that, I had accepted that money awfully quick. Of course I wasn't planning to go to the police with or with out that money... There was no need for it.

Caleb's voice broke me from my reverie, 'Don't you dare Wins, you don't have to feel bad about taking this money. You deserve this and I know you weren't going to go to the police anyway so it's not really silencing money either. It's just to pay for the damage done, get you new glasses...' he trailed of and I heard him swallow loudly.

That was the longest speech Caleb Thornleigh had ever given me and I was still considering his words when he left for swimming practice soon after. Spread out on my back on the nest of blankets, that cheque clutched in my hand.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey!

Sorry i took so long but this chapter just took ages to write...