Their Violence, Your Silence.

The Strong Arm of the Law

Jared found me that afternoon, not long after Caleb had left. Jared had brought company, there was Andrew and the twins, Micheal and Niklas and to my surprise Chris too.

I hadn't known he was back in town.

They made quick work of restoring the living room and Chris picked me up easily and sat me down in my dad's lounging chair. He was really gentle about it and he moved my face first to the left and then to the right as if to check the damage done.

Caleb had removed the bandage on my forehead that morning and carefully checked the cuts there. He told me there were seven small cuts and 3 bigger ones, those had been stitched. According to Caleb it would heal quicker in the open air now that things didn't bleed anymore.

One of the guys whistled, 'Looks nasty Winnie.' I think it was Niklas.

'Found the bastard who did it?' that was definitely Drew. I hoped they wouldn't bother me all afternoon to get it out of me. I wouldn't put it past them though.

'What's that you're holding Winter?' asked Jared when he handed me a glass of lemonade. The sound of opening beer cans or maybe soda cans was heard around the room.

Without thinking I handed my brother the cheque, only afterward realizing that the name of Damien's father was probably on it too. Not a smart move Winter, I scolded myself. With a little luck the guys wouldn't notice.

'Pfew! That's a lot of money... Caleb gave you that?' Jared asked.

'Mr. Thornleigh dropped it off this afternoon. Just before you guys arrived actually,' might as well tell them all of it now.

I think the cheque was passed around the room because I heard sounds of surprise.

Evidently it had arrived in Chris' hands because he said suddenly: 'It's not from Mr. Thornleigh though but from a Mr. Anderson... Winter? Is that the father of the guy who hurt you?'

Trust Chris to see the name of course.

When I didn't immediately replied he said: 'I knew it! Winter this is silencing money! You're not going to take it are you?'

It was Jared who replied for me, 'Of course she is! Chris you know what she's like, she's not going to tell the cops with our without that money... I see no reason not to take it. We need to buy her new glasses, might as well let that Anderson guy pay for it. He's the one who broke it anyway.'

'Damien... his name is Damien and no I'm not going to go to the police... It would ruin his future and I'm sure he'll mend his ways. He's only doing it because of Marley anyway I think.'

It was quiet in the room for a while and then Chris said: 'Its your choice Winnie, but I think he deserves to be punished for what he did... We have to turn him over to the law...'

I ignored the comment and as always the guys couldn't stay quiet for long and started talking amongst each other. Leaving me in peace as I sat encased in my dad's big chair.

*~*~*~*~*


Chris sat down beside me, balancing himself on the arm rest precariously, one arm resting across the back of the chair. 'Winnie... Please reconsider?' he asked me softly, he leaned down towards my ear so I could hear him better over the noise the guys were making.

'Reconsider what Chris?' I asked him, a little impatiently because I already knew what he wanted of me of course.

'The police needs to know... That guy deserves to be brought to justice. Let the system do its work? You'll only need to testify once if that's what you prefer, that's all it takes.'

It was funny how Chris was so close friends with my brother and the rest of the guys. They were all more of the type to run off half-cocked and beat the crap out of Damien and then be done with it.

Not Chris, no he studied law for a reason of course, he really believed in letting the system handle these things. He'd be the last to forget about this, constantly trying to convince me to trust the police.

That wasn't the problem though, I knew Damien would be found guilty, I knew it would blemish his record even if he got away with just a fine. Still he'd get kicked out of school and that would probably be the biggest problem... I didn't want that on my conscience.

'I don't think so Chris. What are you doing here?' I hadn't meant to sound quite so rude when I asked that. Thankfully Chris burst into laughter.

'I feel welcome Winnie,' he said and I could practically hear him grin. 'I'm just here to visit my friends and parents.' I smiled at him, having a sudden flash of insight.

'So it has nothing to do with Katie and a date maybe?'

The answering silence on his part told me enough so I said: 'That's really cool Chris, think you two would be great together...'

I heard him breath out slowly, 'You okay with it? She's your best friend after all...'

'As long as you know that I'll kick your ass if you hurt her...'

He laughed again, probably envisioning me kicking his ass and finding it a rather funny picture. I had to admit; it probably was. Especially now that I couldn't see a thing and looked like I was used as a punching bag. Never mind that I really had been used that way.

I hadn't heard the doorbell but when a sudden silence settled over the room I realized someone had opened the front door. Then I heard Caleb's voice say: 'Hey Jared, how's Winter? Promised I'd come back after practice.'

Then I heard Drew mutter to the twins, 'Didn't know that rich kid was a jock. Winnie deserves better then that.'

Chris placed his arm around my shoulder and drew me in closer to him, 'Don't listen to those idiots. I think Caleb's a good guy, he's been looking after you hasn't he?'

I could feel eyes on me and I suddenly became uncomfortable being so close to Chris. I hadn't heard what Jared had replied to Caleb but I heard the door close and then two sets of footsteps so I could only assume Jared had let him in.

Then he popped up on my other side and set himself down on the other arm rest, mirroring Chris' position minus the arm around my shoulder. 'Hey Wins, how are you feeling?'

A few droplets of water fell on my hand, his hair was probably still wet because he came straight back here after practice. I felt warm on the inside and wished I could just lean back into Caleb instead of Chris. But there was no way to do that with all the guys here.

*~*~*~*~*


I felt incredibly relieved when I parked in front of Winters house. I hurriedly got out of the car and didn't even notice the other cars parked until I was in front of the door, waiting for it to open.

Jared opened so I said: 'Hey Jared, how's Winter? Promised I'd come back after practice.' My hair was still wet and dripping into my collar to prove it and Jared stepped aside and let me in without a word.

I nodded to him and then froze in my tracks.

Winter wasn't alone.

There were three other guys of which one I knew, that was Drew the guy from the garage. The other two blond guys looked faintly familiar and I decided I'd seen them at the garage as well.

That didn't worry me much. What did worry me was the fourth guy.

It was the same guy from the movies, it seemed like ages ago now, with everything that had happened since. I felt stupid. How could I've forgotten Winter had a boyfriend? Because it was obvious that he was, the way he was sitting so close to her with his arm wrapped around her shoulder, whispering in her ear.

I swallowed the bile in my throat and moved forward when Jared gave me a light push in Winter's direction. I sat down on her other side carefully, trying to make sure I didn't touch her.

'Hey Wins, how are you feeling?' I felt a surge of pleasure at the smile blooming on her face when I said that.