Their Violence, Your Silence.

Belgium Chocolates

Jared introduced the guys to Caleb quickly by simply pointing and rattling off their names: 'That's Drew, the twins Niklas and Micheal and that's Chris.'

After that he turned around to face Drew and continued his conversation from before the door bell rang as if he hadn't been interrupted.

Chris laughed and since he had his arm around me I could feel his chest vibrate. It shook me and that hurt my collection of bruises so I took it as an excuse to shrug out of his grip and sit up straight. That way I wasn't too close to either Caleb or Chris.

'Jared hasn't got any manners I tell you,' Chris said to Caleb. He seemed to have forgotten all about the glaring match the two had during that movie. Apparently he'd been filled in by Jared on the whole saving my ass more then once thing.

Caleb's voice was a little cold as he said: 'I don't mind.' It was obvious Caleb hadn't forgotten about it... Suddenly I had the urge to ask Caleb the truth of that situation. Why had he been glaring so much anyway? And why was he cold towards Chris now?

'Guess you know Drew and the guys from the garage? They all work there... Jared said they fix your car from time to time?' I thought it was sweet how Chris was trying to be nice to Caleb and get a conversation going but Caleb didn't even reply this time, maybe he nodded.

This went on for a while longer. Chris was getting more and more frustrated about Caleb's cold demeanor and to be honest so was I. Had something bad happened at school and was he in a foul mood or did he simply not like Chris?

Caleb was very polite to me and replied to anything I said like he usually did except well... he seemed more distant. I'd started to get used to sitting close to him and feeling is arm or leg pressed into me, it actually felt weird now that he was close but not touching.

I bet he was sitting up straight, all prim and proper even though I couldn't see him well. It was obvious he was very uncomfortable.

'So... You're on the swim team I heard? How's that going?' asked Chris. His voice a little too cheerful to be natural.

'It's fine...' was all Caleb said.

I had enough. So I got to my feet and said: 'Caleb, I need your help in the kitchen for a moment.' He was going to tell me what was up with him now, before he pissed off Chris or the other guys.

'Eh sure Wins,' said Caleb, who sounded anything but sure. But he got up and grabbed my wrist to guide me out of the room. I heard Chris behind us mix himself into a conversation with the twins.

As soon as the kitchen door closed behind us I turned to face Caleb. 'What's gotten into you all of a sudden?' I demanded. Funny how after what Damien had done to me, Caleb wasn't scary at all, I knew he wouldn't turn on me even if he was in a bad mood.

It was quiet for a moment and I heard Caleb walk towards the kitchen counter and hoist himself up on it. Then he said: 'Nothings gotten into me Wins, what makes you say that?' His voice was suspiciously neutral this time.

I made my way over to him, bumping only once into the kitchen furniture, and poked him in the chest hard.

'Don't play coy with me! You know what I mean.'

'Winter...' he let out a deep breath, his hand suddenly grabbing the hand I'd been poking him with. I really liked how his hand dwarfed mine, his fingers warm and slightly calloused.

I couldn't help but yelp when he pulled me in close so that I was in between his legs, his free hand resting on the small of my back to hold me in place. He'd trapped me just as effectively as he had that day we almost kissed in his own kitchen.

'I just can't see why you like him...He's never around!'

I really wished I could read his facial expression now. What did he mean by that? Was he jealous of me and Chris being friends? Seemed a little more complicated then that... And I certainly deserved to hear the truth, I wasn't going to allow him to be so cold towards my friends for no reason.

'Well of course he isn't around much... He goes to college! And it's not exactly the local college you know... Still doesn't explain anything though Caleb, the fact you can't understand why I like him doesn't mean you can't!'

Caleb groaned and I heard a thud as he leaned his head backwards against the cupboard. 'Wins...I just... I don't think I can like the guy that's dating you...'

'Well that's too bad then!' Can't like my friends? Well that's not my problem but he ought to behave himself.

'Wait what?' What was he talking about? Dating? Chris and I weren't dating. What would make him think that? Because of what happened at the movie theater?

'I don't like him and I probably never will Winter. Not when he's dating you... But I'll try to make it less obvious, I'll keep my distance too. I forgot so forgive me for just hugging you and falling asleep on your bed,' despite his words of keeping distance he did the exact opposite.

He pulled me in closer with is right hand, so close that I was almost pressed against his chest. His other hand squeezed my own hands tightly almost as if he was afraid I'd disappear. Of course what he was saying was utter nonsense but he didn't seem to know that...

'Ehm... Caleb?' I mumbled, the proximity making me a little nervous now, in a good way though. He was warm and I could smell the chlorine in his still slightly wet hair.

'I'm not dating Chris... We're just friends,' I explained softly then. Had he really been behaving like an ass because he thought Chris and I were together? Was it wrong to feel happy about that? That meant Caleb liked me didn't it?

'You're not?' he sounded completely surprised by that revelation.

'Course not... Chris just had a little misguided idea about helping me out in the movie theater. The idiot!' I said.

Caleb burst into laughter, again I heard the thudding sound as the back of his head hit the cupboard. He cut of his laugh to groan in pain, letting go off my waist to rub the sore spot.

'Yeah it seemed a little weird... He didn't even know what your favorite candy was...' and then he laughed again. He seemed really relieved...

I frowned at him, trying to look stern as I crossed my arms across my chest. 'And I suppose you do?'

He sobered up then.

'Didn't think so!'

'Oh don't underestimate me Wins,' I could almost hear him smirk now. 'I bet you're a vanilla ice cream girl, think you love chocolate too. That's why I brought you some!'

How the hell did he know that? Course liking the chocolate, that's kinda cliche. What girl doesn't like chocolate? But the vanilla ice cream too? He'd of course also known my favorite pizza was peperoni...

Then something occurred to me.

'Hey! You didn't bring me any chocolate! Liar!'

'Who says I didn't? And I'm right am I?' he was laughing again and then a small box was pressed under my nose. That way even blind as I was I could see the bright green color and the red bow around it.

'They're Belgium chocolates.'

When I accepted the box curiously both his hands returned to my waist, hugging me to him tightly. He didn't seem to have a problem with holding me now that he knew I didn't have a boyfriend.

The scent of chocolate and almonds wafted up towards my nose when I undid the ribbon. It smelled absolutely amazing.

'Am I interrupting anything?'

Oh... seems my dad just came home.