Their Violence, Your Silence.

Sight for Sore Eyes

The day passed by in a blur.

Caleb wasn't shy of showing his affection in public apparently so the change in his routine which now included kissing my cheek every time he picked me up from class was noted quickly.

More rumors spread around school and Marley's glare followed me everywhere we went. Damien wasn't in school but his friends were, the ones we run into on the fair. Caleb ignored them as if nothing had happened.

'Ready to go home? I'm driving you,' he told me after my last class.

'Don't you have swimming practice?' I asked him a little surprised. Thursday so far had been the only day Cas and Shane drove me home because Caleb didn't like it when I had to wait on my own for him to finish.

I couldn't blame him. It seemed every time I was on my own lately that bad fortune would find me in the form of Marley or Damien or one of their followers.

Caleb didn't reply as he led me to his car.

I didn't think I'd ever seen him skip swimming practice before. Even when he was sick that week he still came to school for it... Although he hadn't really been sick then, just avoiding some people.

He loved swimming...

'Caleb... Why are you skipping practice? Are you feeling okay?'

We'd just pulled away from the school parking lot and I waved dutifully at a bouncing Cassandra as she urged Shane to climb into the passengers seat of her car. He looked a bit green and I think it had something to do with her driving skills.

'Wins, you wanna come over to my place? You can play the piano if you want...' Caleb offered instead of replying to my question.

'Of course I want to come, but you're avoiding the question! Did something happen? Is the Coach mad or is it Damien?' I exclaimed as I leaned over to feel his forehead. Maybe he had a fever?

Caleb yelped and swerved dangerously across the road as he tried to avoid my hand. 'What are you doing?' he said as he let go off the steering wheel with one hand to grab mine. It would have been a sweet gesture if not for the fact that he was trying to keep me from feeling his forehead.

We turned into his drive at that moment and the gravel made a lot of noise underneath the tires.

'I'm fine Wins, I don't have a fever!' he said as I followed him into the house, trying again to reach for his forehead.

'But Caleb... You never skip practice!' I complained. He was behaving really strange, why wasn't he smiling like he usually would? Had I done something wrong?

I stopped in mid stride and stared at Caleb's back as he made his way to the kitchen. Was he mad at me now?

Caleb noticed I'd stopped walking when he reached the kitchen and turned to hold open the door for me. He stared at my face for a moment as I stood right next to that ridiculous glass salon table in between all the white furniture.

Then his expression changed to worried and he strode back to me in just a few strides of his long legs. 'Wins...' to my surprise he pulled off his shirt when he reached me.

A blush was already creeping up my cheeks when I noticed the scattering of bruises across his sides and chest. He looked more bruised then not.

'I can't swim...' he complained.

'Oh... I'm sorry Caleb, I should have known you had more bruises then just the one on your cheek.' I felt really guilty now... How could I not have noticed that he took a more serious beating last night?

Although he should have just told me. “I'm good at dodging!” Well obviously not as good as he claims he is.

'It's not your fault Wins, those guys are just idiots. Besides, I get to spend more time with you now.'

I couldn't help but smile at that, which was really selfish of course. But I felt better as I followed him into the kitchen to get some food and drinks.

I felt even better as I settled behind the beautiful grand piano inside the music room. Caleb right beside me, his leg pressed softly against mine. One hand warm on the small of my back.

Then I took off my glasses and placed my fingers on the keys. It is one of the most amazing feelings ever to just let go and play, play like it is all that matters.

*~*~*~*~*


Caleb dropped me off at home after dinner. It had been really nice to watch Caleb cook in that kitchen, he looked so at ease there.

His father wasn't as scary as he had been the first time we met. He complimented Caleb on his cooking and me on my playing the piano with a warm smile. But he left the table after he'd quickly wolfed down his food in a rush, barely taking the time to swallow.

It was obvious he was a very busy man.

In the car Caleb told me his dad almost never came out of his office for dinner if he was home and he usually wasn't home. He only came out now because I'd been there.

He kissed me goodnight sweetly after saying a quick hello to my own parents, then he drove off into the night. Disappearing quickly but this time in a car with an engine that roared loudly, as if to make up for the silence of that morning.

My parents were both smiling widely when I stepped into the kitchen.

'We're really happy for you Winnie,' said my mom with a wide smile. 'Yes he seems like a well mannered young man,' added my father albeit a little more gruffly.

I sat down hesitantly in a chair across from them, wondering where this conversation was going. They looked way too happy for it to be the 'talk' as Katie called it.

'We've got some really good news Dear,' said my mom as she picked up a letter and passed it to me.

I looked at the envelope, noting the logo off a private clinic that was on it. The paper felt expensive too, thick and with a reach creamy color.

I scanned the letter as quick as I could, feeling my heart beat in my throat all of a sudden. The smiling faces of my parents could mean only one thing. But it was too good to be true wasn't it?

When I finished reading the letter all I could do was stare at the page. Not really comprehending what I just read.

'Winnie? Winter? Are you okay dear?' I heard my mom ask faintly, she seemed very far away.

'I need to call Caleb!' I heard myself say as I stood up and walked to the phone, only then did I realize that after all this time I still didn't have his phone number. I stared at the phone stupidly for a moment and then realized that Cassie probably had it.

'Eh that wasn't the reaction I was expecting,' said Jared from behind me. But I heard my mom gush excitedly how cute it was or something...

I dialed Cassie's number quickly, and jumped in surprise when she picked up on the first ring. 'Shut up Shane, it's Winnie! I have to take it, Caleb was acting weird when they left,' I heard her say after a loud groan that could only be Shane.

I just had to laugh, 'Cass! I have the best news ever!' I yelled before she could even turn her attention fully to me.

'Oh,' immediately excited, 'Don't tell me he proposed and you're going to live happily ever after and have loads of pretty babies?'

Stunned I stared at the phone for a moment, what? Have babies? Marriage? What the hell was she talking about?

'Eh no Cas... I'm not getting married and I'm certainly not having babies...' I replied. In the background I heard Shane laugh loudly and behind me Jared spewed a swallow of his drink across the room.

'I really just called to get Caleb's phone number. But I thought I'd tell you the good news first.'

It was quiet a moment, then she said, 'Too bad, I'd have been a perfect bridesmaid! Now tell me what's the big news? Doubt anything can be bigger then that though...'

'Maybe one day Cas,' I said then I took a big gulp off air and rushed out: 'I'm getting eye laser surgery!They're gonna fix my eyes!'

'Oh that's amazing Winnie!' Cassie yelled, loud enough for my parents to hear it too. Then Shane added: 'Yeah congrats Winter.'

I jumped up and down excitedly as I explained them some more off the details. Concluding with: 'You see! I have to call Caleb to tell him the good news!'

'You'll do no such thing Winter,' was Cassie's stern reply all of a sudden.

'What?' I asked, utterly flabbergasted.

'You're going to surprise him at the up coming dance with it! Imagine this: You enter in a beautiful dress, with your eyes restored. A mask on! No one will recognize you and then you'll march straight up to Caleb and he'll be so amazed that he'll tell you he loves you! He might even propose on the spot!'

Still a little shocked into silence I listened while Cassie outlined her plan to me. I heard Shane groan in the background again, obviously he disagreed or at least my call had ruined their plans together.

When I said so Cassie shushed me loudly enough so that I could barely hear Shane in the background mutter: 'Yeah you did interrupt us.'

Then my mom from behind said: 'Why don't you ask your friends over to celebrate hun?' It was loud enough for Cassie to hear because she squealed really hard and yelled: 'I'll call Katie and pick her up! Be with you in ten min!'

Just before I heard the click of the phone I heard Shane say: 'But Cass! What about me?' And her reply: 'No boys allowed Shane!'

Still a bit stunned I turned around and hugged my mother, 'I'm getting the eye surgery! I'll be able to see without glasses again!'
♠ ♠ ♠
There we go, like I promised ;)

Also posted the first chapter to a new story I'm writing. It's going to be a shorter series, fantasy. Think it'll be about 10 chapters in total although the chapters will be a little longer then what you're used to here.

Please read the first chapter and tell me if i should continue it ^^
Here is the link:
Hand of Sorrow