Their Violence, Your Silence.

Fancy Dresses

The weeks flew by quickly and I can tell in all honesty that they were some of the happiest weeks of my life. Caleb and I spend most of our time together and although I found it hard at first not to tell him about the surgery it felt easy now.

There were so many things to talk about anyway, and if we weren't talking I was either playing the piano for him or he was teaching me how to swim. After I mentioned to him that I never learned because I couldn't wear glasses in the water he insisted.

Marley and Damien hadn't made a single move towards us and I think it meant they had given up on bothering us. That warning at the fair from Marley still occasionally surfaced in my dreams though but I was sure that was just nerves.

Caleb wasn't sure about it though, every time at school when we would see them he glared at Damien. He kept telling me he didn't like how they were whispering together all the time nowadays.

I just hoped it meant they found something better to do then bother me.

It was just such a relief not to be bullied in school. With Caleb by my side and Shane and Cassie to back me up I actually gained even more friends.

Most other guys from Caleb's swimming team, the same ones that showed up and heard me play the piano that first time at Caleb's house. Some of Cassie's other friends school occasionally hung out with us too.

When I had to go to that clinic for a first check up and to arrange when to get the actual surgery Cas and Katie told me to say to Caleb that I was hanging out with them for the day. I felt bad about lying so insisted they come along so it wouldn't be a lie.

The surgery wasn't very invasive though, I wouldn't even have to be admitted for the night and they didn't even need to put me under for it either. In fact afterward there would be almost immediately a huge improvement and I'd have a burning feeling in my eyes for about three days.

The surgery would be scheduled a week from now on a Wednesday. That meant I'd be more or less completely recovered in time for the dance which was on Saturday evening.

Caleb hadn't officially asked me to the dance but they way he spoke about it the few times it was mentioned it was clear he was assuming I'd be coming along. Everyone assumed that really since we were a couple now. According to the school gossip at least.

I still didn't know if that was what we were... I mean he'd never called me his girlfriend had he? And we didn't speak about it either, I was to nervous to actually ask him.

I was still nervous every time he kissed me even, which was every morning when he picked me up for school and evening when he dropped me off or left. There had been the occasional kisses when we were alone together but much to my disappointment we hadn't actually made out like that first evening in front of my door again.

I was worried it meant he didn't want to actually kiss me...

Think Cas noticed I was worried about something during school because she declared another girls night and told Shane to ride with Caleb. Think Shane was relieved not to have to drive with Cassie but Caleb just shrugged and said he could use some extra swimming practice for the day anyway.

When we arrived at the Mall, Katie just ran up to us. Wasn't hard to guess that Cassie had texted her to tell her to meet us there.

'So what are we doing here?' I ventured to ask them as I followed the both of them inside.

'Dress shopping! Duh!' replied Cassie locking my wrist into a vice like grip she started dragging me towards an expensive looking store. Katie followed closely behind pushing me a little if I slowed down.

'Guys you know I cant afford to buy a dress there!' I complained as they pushed me inside.

Getting a dress was something I never thought I'd do in a store like this. The store had a fancy name, a fancy sign and very fancy prices. In short: I couldn't even afford a scarf or glove here...

But it was sort of nice to look around and run my fingers across the smooth silk and glittering gems and beads. Fun in away to watch Cassie and Katie exclaim over found treasures and try them on.

I couldn't resist looking around myself even though I knew I wasn't going to buy anything. It didn't help that the store lady kept looking at me with disdain.

Obviously she didn't think I belonged here and thought I needed watching over. As if I would damage something or maybe even steal something.

Cassie suddenly appeared beside me, still wearing a soft blue dress that swished around her slender ankles. 'Are you going to tell me whats on your mind?'

And now she asked? Wasn't exactly the right place to talk about my problems was it? But Katie had already showed at my other elbow. 'I knew you had something on your mind! Spit it out Winnie!'

Katie wasn't dressed in her own clothes either, instead she wore a cocktail dress of pure black, strapless with a pink pattern on the left side. It looked really good on her and I was sure she'd actually leave the store buying this, despite how many dresses she'd still try on.

Under the guise of going trough another rack of dresses I stuttered out: 'I'm just not sure...I don't think Caleb finds me all that attractive... He hardly ever kisses me...I don't even know if he's my boyfriend now or not!'

I felt my face heating up in total embarrassment now. This was so stupid... I hated not knowing anything about this stuff. I didn't want to be insecure about these things, I wanted to feel strong and independent.

Katie of course just had to laugh, and Cassie was smiling from ear to ear. 'Don't be silly, of course you're his girlfriend! You've been considered his girlfriend since the day he started driving you to school I think...'

I nearly jerked the dress I was pretending to admire from its hanger in surprise. 'What? But that's not what I meant... That's what other people think, not what's true. They don't know anything!'

Katie patted my shoulder, 'I'm pretty sure Caleb considers you his girlfriend. He's probably done so ever since the first time you kissed. Now where did you get this nonsense about him not finding you attractive?'

'Yeah because that sounds like total rubbish to me! You haven't seen the way he looks at you apparently...' added Cas.

I felt myself blushing even redder then before when I muttered: 'Well we kiss sometimes but never more then that, except that night after the date... He always pulls away when … well yeah he always pulls away quickly.'

Feeling really awkward I took the dress I'd been holding off the rack. Just so I had something in my hands.

Cas patted my shoulder, 'That's typical of him actually. Think he's just really worried he'll do something you don't like.'

'Sounds like you need to get your sexy on,' I heard Katie say, 'And that dress is just perfect for the dance!'