Their Violence, Your Silence.

Sleepy Eyes

I woke up feeling hazy and pretty much just like it felt when I walked around without glasses. Except for one small thing: I didn't feel helpless or lost. In fact I felt very safe and warm...

The memories came rushing back as I sat up slowly. Caleb's huge bed spread out around me, the duvets in disarray as if someone had lain here, tossing and turning. Caleb was nowhere to be found though...

I remembered falling asleep while watching a movie with Caleb and the long day at school filled with extra homework and a gruelling hour and a half of gym. I had in fact several bruises to show from the game of dodgeball.

It wasn't fair if you asked me, how could you expect me to dodge a ball if all it was to me was a vague red blur? Without being able to guess how far it was from me...

Caleb and Cas had been on my team and they'd done their best to catch as many balls as possible or push me out of the way. The other team knew I was the weak link obviously so they kept aiming for me.

The bruises however showed that not everyone liked me. Some would throw those balls hard enough to hurt. Or maybe it was just because they hoped Caleb would fumble with the ball that way...

After that schoolday Caleb had taken me home for yet another swimming lesson. Although by now it was more advanced swimming, I'd grasped the basics a few days ago now. I was still a little proud of that.

It was dark outside when I looked out the window through a crack in the curtains. So that meant I probably hadn't slept that long... It had been about 8 pm when we started the movie, only just starting to get dark. But without glasses I couldn't read the red numbers on the alarm clock on the bedside table.

I wondered if I had taken off my glasses myself or if Caleb had done that when I'd fallen asleep? But then decided I didn't care and allowed myself to sink back into the soft matras and curl up underneath the duvet.

Just as I'd closed my eyes I heard a door open and the soft padding of feet as they moved towards the bed. Then the bed dipped a little on the far side and the duvet lifted a bit as someone slid under beside me.

A warm hand softly touched my cheek, 'I know you're awake Wins,' said Caleb playfully.

I smiled but kept my eyes closed, I snuggled into his shoulder and breathed out in contentment. I really liked this, especially when I felt him wrap his arms around me. It made me feel as if nothing could ever harm me.

'Couldn't you sleep Caleb?' I asked him, wondering about the tossing and turning now. Didn't he like this or did he have something on his mind?

'Nothing to worry about Win, just had an unpleasant dream. Went downstairs for a glass of milk then came right back here,' he explained. His arms tightened around me momentarily as if he was afraid I'd disappear.

I nodded slowly into his shoulder. He didn't seem worried or anxious anymore so it must be alright now.

'Let's go back to sleep...' Caleb mumbled, yawning loudly.

'Oh no!' shocked I sat up straight, my eyes wide open now. 'What time is it? My parents!'
Caleb beside me groaned, probably because I'd accidently elbowed him in the stomach.

'It's about 2 AM...But I called them to say you fell asleep, don't worry about it.'

I stared down at him, although of course I couldn't see very well in the dark without glasses.
'You called them to say I was sleeping over?' the surprise obviously dripping from my voice. Who had he spoken then? Because I didn't think my parents or brother would agree to that.

'Well... I called your parents to say you fell asleep while watching a movie. Told them I didn't want to wake you because you'd had a rough day at school. Your mom immediately told me to let you sleep... She says you've been having trouble with that lately?'

The last a question obviously meant for me. But I couldn't very well tell him I was worried about the surgery now could I? Or about the worry I felt over whether or not he'd like it...

'Oh I see,' I said as I lay back down beside him. Allowing him to pull me back into his embrace. I did feel relieved that my parents knew where I was. On the other hand though... It felt as if my mom had only agreed to let me sleep here because she knew I was really tired and worried about the surgery tomorrow.

Caleb's fingers softly ran through my hair, massaging the base of my spine to help me relax. 'Why do you have to leave for three days...' he breathed out. He'd made it clear he was very unhappy about that fact.

That was the little lie Katie and Cas had made up to hide the surgery... I wasn't happy about that either and a bad feeling had settled in the pit of my stomach ever since they'd come up with the plan.

I didn't think Caleb would be mad or upset about the fact that we hid it. I was in fact very sure that he'd just be overjoyed with the fact that I could see better. But still... Something was bound to go wrong. Very wrong.

I shrugged to answer Caleb's question, 'You know I have too... I don't like it either. But at least we'll see each other at the dance on saturday again.'

'I know... but that's such a long time from now! How will I survive?' he groaned a little melodramatically.

I laughed feeling very loved and wanted at the same time, 'You'll live... ' Only just in time biting off the rest of my sentence. A blush creeping up my cheeks as I realized how close I'd just come to telling him I loved him.

'Let's sleep...You have school early tomorrow and I need to be dropped off at home before that.'

He replied by snuggling closer and exhaling slowly, 'Night Wins...'

*~*~*~*~*


Caleb kissed me long and slowly right on my doorstep that morning when he dropped me off. His arms secure around me and a little tighter then usual. 'I'm gonna miss you Wins...' he whispered in my ear.

My dad was just inside the house looking out the window, he'd be the one to take me to the clinic and drive me back home. Caleb and I had already seen him and waved but Caleb didn't seem to care about spectators as he said goodbye.

'You promise not to get into any trouble? You know how you seem a magnet for it...' Caleb said as he pulled away. Holding me at arms length to stare into my eyes with his amazing green orbs. Happiness filled me at the thought of being able to see that without glasses after today.

'I promise Caleb, don't worry alright? I'm not going anywhere dangerous... Just my aunt for a few days...' That was an outright lie and I hated saying the words but it wasn't as bad if it helped to comfort Caleb.

Shortly after that I watched Caleb drive off in a dark blue car I had only seen for the first time this morning. The engine much louder then any of the other cars. But the deep rumble was very attractive to listen to.

My father came outside to pat me softly on the shoulder, ' You ready love? Today is a very big day...'

I smiled and turned around to look at his slightly wrinkled face and twinkling eyes. Now a little furrowed with worry. 'Yeah I'm ready. Lets get going!'

*~*~*~*~*


It was just past noon when I stared into a mirror unaided by glasses and for the first time in my life I could tell what my eye color was and differentaite between the iris and pupil.

I smiled widely at my reflection.

I didn't care about the gritty feeling or the slight burning. I could finally see without glasses!

'You're eyessight will improve over the coming few weeks while the eye heals, but as you've noticed it has already dramatically improved,' said a doctor from beside me.

'You'll need to drip this into your eyes every hour when you're awake for the next few days.
Until the burning feeling disappears. This is to make sure the eyes stay moist, this is very important you hear me?' he added.

I wasn't really listening, too happy to look around with renewed intrest at all my surroundings. I'd already read and heard the instructions a million times before anyway.

Now I just couldn't wait for the dance! I'd see Caleb again and this time there was no glasses. I'd finally look like a normal girl instead of a geek...

All my worries from last night disappeared … Everything would turn out amazing, I was sure of it!
♠ ♠ ♠
Just wanted to say: thanks to all those loyal readers and commenters ;)
Really helps me to finish this story even when i have no inspiration...

I'm sad to say i have so little time now a days to write. I will of course try to squeeze in a chapter whenever i have a moment ^^

xxx