Their Violence, Your Silence.

There's Always Tomorrow

After English was over I hurried out of the class room with Cassie hot on my heals. I didn't feel like listening more sighs and complaints from Marley. It seemed like she was trying really hard to make it seem like she was in loads of pain.

I scoffed in annoyance, stupid wimp... I had way worse without making such a fuss about it.

Outside the class room Damien was waiting, he said hi with a concerned look on his face, 'You alright there Winter? Here let me carry your books,' he added, taking the pile from me and following me along to the next class.

Cassie mouthed: 'You going to be alright?' with a look towards Damien. So I nodded and send her off to her own class.

Caleb was right behind Damien and I as we walked, unhurriedly I might add, to our destination. Damien was definitely in no rush, almost as if he wanted to rub it in Caleb's face that he was the one walking me to my next class now and not him.

*~*~*~*~*


It went pretty much like that the entire day, with Caleb following me closely everywhere yet keeping his distance. Damien openly talking to me and being really friendly, in a rather loud way to show everyone how we were on good terms now.

I could tell that Shane was utterly confused by what was going on and that even Cassie didn't get it. I didn't want to think about what Damien was up to... Maybe he just saw it as an opportunity... I didn't really care.

When school was over I walked out into the parking lot with Cassie, a little unsure as to whether or not I'd have a ride home... Still I declined riding with Cas, it was not worth risking my life with her driving style.

Damien caught up with me quickly though and I was sure he was about to offer me a ride when Caleb showed up. He grabbed my arm and without further ado pulled me to his car. A little stunned I allowed him to drag me all the way there and stumbled into the passengers seat.

I didn't want to ride with Damien anyway I thought as an excuse to why I was yet again sitting with Caleb in his car.

Some angry part of me however made me say: 'Why did you pull me away! I wanted to ride with Damien!' I crossed my arms and glared at Caleb as fiercely as I could.

Caleb's jaw was clenched tightly as he ignored my comment and started the ignition, pulling away from the parking lot a little more roughly then I was used from him. I had to hold on to my seat to prevent myself from falling over.

'Suppose Damien brought you home on Saturday too, had fun hanging out with him today?' said Caleb bitterly all of a sudden.

'Very much yes!' seethed, although I had in fact found it all rather annoying and bothersome. I'd have felt much better if everyone had just left me alone.

'You should know better Winter, he's a backstabbing asshole. He attacked you damn it!' Caleb shouted. It was the first time in very long that he'd raised his voice to me like that and it shook me in my seat.

But unlike before I wasn't scared so I yelled back: 'You can't decide for me who I'm talking to Caleb! Certainly not after Saturday! Talk about backstabbing...' the last I muttered though. Feeling tears jump to my eyes that I had to focus on to keep them at bay.

I hadn't forgotten about Damien's attack of course... Despite the fact that I'd told Damien that I might do that. Every time I was reminded of it I could still feel his hands hitting me, his feet kicking me. Feel the fear again as I lay there on that concrete floor.

It was quiet after my last retort for a moment and then Caleb said: 'I swear I wasn't cheating on you... I... I really thought she was you, I was really worried because I thought something had happened with you and Damien... I was only there for a few minutes and she kissed me the moment you came in... It was a trap Wins.'

I felt my throat close up as I yearned to believe the words he spoke. My heart fluttered at the hearing of that nickname he had for me. But Damien had been really nice, he'd even tried to stop me from going there. Why would a random girl try to trick Caleb into kissing her? Just to break us up. If it had been Marley I suppose I could understand.

'You hit Marley...' I muttered. Suddenly remembering the way he'd charged at Damien as well, for a moment then I'd been scared that he'd hit me too. Even though for a long time now I'd felt completely confident in the fact that Caleb would never do that. Seems I was wrong.

Caleb's silence said enough but still I glanced sideways to catch the expression on his face. It was a combination of both anger, loathing and a little regret.

'You hit a girl...'

Still Caleb said nothing, his knuckles white as he grasped the steering wheel tightly. A glare now on his handsome features as he drove a little faster then allowed.

'I didn't think you had it in you...' I started but he interrupted me.

'She deserved it! She caused all of it!' he took a deep breath and then looked at me, 'I didn't even hit her that hard. She was laughing like a lunatic when I left her...'

Then as if my last words finally registered I saw hurt flash across his face, 'You didn't think I would hit a girl but you do believe I would cheat on you?'

'It doesn't matter... You did both anyway!' I said icily,clinging on to my anger so I wouldn't cave. I couldn't stand to see him in pain but I wasn't ready yet to forgive him, whether or not he'd actually willing kissed that girl or not.

Luckily we'd reached my home in record time, thanks to Caleb's speeding. So I hurriedly unbuckled my seat belt and rushed out of the car without a backward glance.

Just as I was about to slam the door closed behind me I heard Caleb yell: 'Just so you know, that girl in the locker room was Marley!'

With that the door closed behind me and with my back pressed against it I sat down on the floor, utterly exhausted now. Of course I hadn't slept much since Saturday.

Marley had been that girl in the locker room? No way... She looked nothing like Marley. Then again... with the mask on and that dress you couldn't see much of her body or face anyway.

But wouldn't Caleb have recognized the voice? I mean I can get that he wouldn't hear it that well in the gym itself with all the loud music but in the locker room?

I didn't understand one bit what was going on now... It didn't make sense that Caleb would kiss Marley on his own accord. He hated her with a passion now a days, we'd often talked about it. What had really happened then?

With I sigh I realized that I really should follow up on that woman's advice and go over to Caleb to let him explain everything. But after that fight in the car I really didn't feel up to it... I regretted the things I'd said now.

The sound of a key turning in the lock startled me from my reverie and I jumped to my feet hurriedly. Almost at the same time the front door opened to admit Jared.

'Hey Winnie, everything okay? You look a little flustered...'

I shrugged, 'Just came home myself. I've got lots of homework, bye!' then I ran up the stairs and shut my door behind me.

Tomorrow, I promised myself. Tomorrow I'd talk to Caleb.
♠ ♠ ♠
Heart of the Night

This is a new story I'm writing, I really like it so far. It's about a hunter/vampire hunter who gets paid to protect a man. She's a bit of a sarcastic bitter bitch most of the time but eventually he gets through to her. :)

If you're interested give it a read and let me know what you think :)