Their Violence, Your Silence.

Conversations

I woke up groggily the next morning. My eyes felt sandy and the burning feeling I'd had just after the surgery was back. I supposed all the crying was doing it no good.

Splashing my eyes royally with the eye drops helped loads though and after that I could see clearly again and make my way to the bathroom for a hot shower. It was enough to make me feel somewhat human again.

I still felt exhausted and even a little cold as I made my way down the stairs. I had put on my warmest sweatshirt over a long sleeved shirt, the sweatshirt once my brothers and depicting the logo from one of his favorite bands.

Down stairs I couldn't really focus enough to eat so I just drank a hot cup of coffee, ignoring the questioning glances Jared gave me. As an excuse I said: 'Think I'm coming down with something... Sorry if I've been moody the past few days.'

He just shrugged and told me not to worry about it, then carefully as if afraid of my reaction he said: 'Everything okay between you and Caleb? Do you want me to bring you to school today?'

'It's fine, don't worry about it,' I mumbled, 'Think I might stay home...' I added as I suddenly lost my courage. No matter how much better I felt without the glasses, people would always talk about me... I got that now.

Facing Caleb after that fight in the car... After all the mean things I said, I didn't think I could do that either.

'Alright, call me if you need anything okay? Mom is done early with work today,' Jared said with a soft pat on my head. Then he shrugged into his coat and left.

I stared into my cup of coffee for a moment. Then for some reason I felt the need to walk over to the window and look out over the street. Would Caleb come to pick me up again today? Like yesterday? Or had I pushed him away with our fight?

But no, just like always he was right on time, in a familiar black car.

Why would he keep torturing himself with my presence just to drive me to and from school? It just didn't make any sense. Then again, when had Caleb Thornleigh ever made sense to me?

With leaden feet I put on my coat and trudged over to his car. My eyes downcast to avoid seeing the expression on his face. I was sure he was still hurt and angry after yesterday.

We exchanged no words the entire ride to school though but I could feel his eyes on me all the time. The atmosphere was awkward but not angry which caused a flicker of hope in my heart. Maybe after we talked things would turn out alright.

I really hoped his explanation would satisfy me enough to forgive him. This being apart and angry was almost enough to make me apologize to him instead now.

English class passed in more or less the same manner as yesterday, Caleb beside me was more tense though. His eyes always averted, he even refused to look the teacher in the eye when she called on him.

Marley's bruise, if possible, seemed to look even worse then yesterday. She loudly complained about it to everyone who would listen and even those who wouldn't. Every time she did I could see her cast a look in Caleb's direction to make sure he heard her.

And every time that happened I saw Caleb cringe, then his eyes would harden and a frown would crease his forehead. I really wondered what was up with that.

When class was finished Caleb still walked me to the next, following me with a bit of distance between us. Damien wasn't there but he met up with me in class with a smile and a look in Caleb's direction that probably said as much as: 'You can't watch over her in here.'

Caleb was nearly nailed to the floor at the entrance to the class room as Damien and I entered. I sat down in my usual spot in the back there was no room for Damien to sit next to me. He was talking about something, I wasn't listening, as he sat down on the edge of my desk.

I was sure it was all just to piss of Caleb even more.

When the teacher arrived Caleb had to leave of course, I think he was going to be very late for his next class... I hoped he wouldn't get a detention, because I really didn't want to ride with Damien home nor with Cassie. Besides the car ride home would probably be the best time to talk...

*~*~*~*~*


During the lunch break I decided to avoid everyone, especially Damien. His extreme kindness all of a sudden was starting to get on my nerves and something was telling me that trusting him was still a bad idea.

So as soon as possible I made my way over to the girls bathroom and locked myself in one of the stalls. Sitting down I started eating my lunch in the relative silence, I felt relieved to be alone for a bit.

I started reading the writing girls had left on the walls, most of it consisted of names and silly quotes and stuff. Some of it was rumors girls had decided to write down.

It was almost funny to read the speculations girls had written there first about whether or not Caleb and I where together. Then a lot about how Marley got her bruises, either I'd given her those or Caleb or she'd done it to herself to get attention...

There was a long list about what had happened to break us up on there. I was just about to get started on reading those when the door opened to admit what sounded like two or three girls. The first voice I heard I recognized immediately: Marley.

I pulled up my feet so that it would look like the stall I was in was empty and listened carefully to what they were saying. It seemed like they were reapplying make up.

'I'm telling you, it's just a matter of time before he'll come crawling back to me,' I heard Marley say.

There was the sound of bubblegum popping and then one of the girls that was always with her said: 'Are you sure?' The girl sounded rather hesitant as if she didn't believe Marley's plan would work.

'Of course you idiot!' snapped Marley. 'You didn't believe Caleb would fall for that disguise either but he did didn't he?' I heard her laugh and it did sound tinged with insanity.

'A wig, a stupid dress and a mask was all he needed to think I was her... The idiot was so worried about her with Damien acting all threatening that he didn't even look twice.'

I could barely keep myself from gasping. So it really had been Marley behind that mask... They had tricked Caleb very well and apparently Damien was in on it all. Not that that surprised me, I just couldn't figure out what he had to gain in all of this.

A third voice piped up a little more sure of herself: 'Don't get ahead of yourself though, don't forget that he nearly hadn't kissed you. You had to throw yourself at him to make sure Winter caught him in the act, remember?'

Oh...

Suddenly I felt really stupid for being mad at Caleb. All of this made a lot more sense now! I had to get to him and make things right.

A loud thud echoed around the room. Oh shit, I dropped my back pack... I quickly picked it off the floor to prevent them from seeing it but the damage was done.

'Who's there?' asked Marley, her voice a little shrill.

There started slamming the stall doors open one by one to find the source of the sound. I was in the stall the furthest back but it was only a matter of time till they would find me off course.

For once luck was on my side as the bell rang, signaling the start of the next period. Marley cursed loudly and then hissed: 'Whoever you are girl, when I find out you talked about what you heard here! You'll wish you were never born.'

Then the door slammed shut as they left.

I was breathing hard, shocked by what I had discovered, mostly by accident. I didn't dare leave the stall yet, I couldn't be sure they had all left...

Oh well, it couldn't hurt to miss a class for once I guess, it was better then getting beat up again anyway. I wasn't sure I could pay attention. So much was going through my head right now, all going in the same direction: I had to talk to Caleb as soon as possible. He'd suffered long enough, way too long in fact.

When about fifteen minutes had passed I deemed it safe enough to get out. I carefully set down my feet and got up. I opened the door very slowly and peeked out, when I saw no one was there I hurried to the exit.

Something blue caught my eye before I got there though. As I turned to look I saw that it was some sort of blue dust on the sink next to the mirror.

As I walked over to inspect it I realized all to soon that it was make up... So Marley was faking the bruises! Then why would Caleb admit to hitting her?

Unless he had but like he said, not that hard. She was using make up to make it look worse. I felt myself getting angry and shocked I realized that I was stalking out of the bathroom in search of Marley so that I could make her pay for her deceit.

I had nearly reached the class room where I knew she'd be when I reigned myself in. Patience Winter! I told myself. No sense in barging in there... It would just get me a detention.

So instead I made my way over to the gym to sit in the locker room. That was my last class after all and it would start in about thirty minutes. I would wait there.

*~*~*~*~*


Gym had started but Marley hadn't shown up in the locker room. I realized she'd gotten an excuse slip for gym because of her bruises when I entered the gym. She was talking to the teacher showing it to him. He looked very sympathetic.

Cassie tightly grabbed my hand, 'She's not worth it Winnie.' She pulled me with her to Shane, preventing me for stalking over to the girl and giving her a piece of my mind. I had told Cassie about what I'd heard in the bathroom as soon as I'd seen her.

Now I quickly looked around to find Caleb, but he was missing...

'He's in the principal's office Winter,' explained Shane when he saw me looking. 'He got into a fight with Damien... I'm sorry, I tried to stop him.'
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for all the great comments :D It really helps.

I'm gonna try and post another chapter tonight but I still have to write it so it depends on how much my cat get's in the way or not really... She likes to lay down on my arms when i'm typing if i don't give her the atttention she wants xD