Status: I'm going to totally revamp (haha, humor) this story. It just wasn't going anywhere in my head, but I thought up something new for it.

Dracula's Bride

The Secret

That night, Selena had a dream that she was at a lavish masquerade ball, surrounded by masked dancers. She was wearing a pure black silk dress with a matching black mask. Her long dark hair was pulled up into a bun with a few elegant curls framing her face.
Her date was also wearing all black. She could not see much of his face because of his mask, but she could make out his dark eyes and pale skin. He was smiling at her in a way that both thrilled her and terrified her.
As the music began playing, he pulled her to him and began dancing with her, gazing deep into her eyes. She was hardly aware of anything going on around them. Not until she felt her feet slip a little on the floor did she look down. Covering the floor in a slippery coat was blood, drenching the hem of her skirts and her shoes.
The music changed, becoming faster. She looked around in horror, realizing some of the dancers were no longer moving to the music being played, but to the music thrumming within their hearts. The music of thirst and murder. They were feasting on their partners, relishing in the blood that stained their clothes, their skin, their lips.
"Do not fear," her date murmured in her ear. "You are safe with me." He pulled her close again and they continued dancing, stepping around feasting vampires and fallen bodies.
"How can you protect me from all of them?" she asked, gazing at him worriedly. What if those monsters were to hurt him? She felt an immense closeness to him, and his death would surely destroy her.
Slowly, he smiled, cold and dangerous. His teeth gleamed white, and his two fangs glinted in the light. "Because I command them."
The other vampires had finished their meals and were now watching the last remaining couple dance. Selena wondered if an entire room full of vampires would really listen to one single one, but upon seeing their expressions, she suddenly knew they would. They all had looks of adoration, devotion, and honor. He wasn't lying when he'd said he commanded them. He was, indeed, their master. And he was gazing intently at her.
"You, too, will command them," he said to her. "For I will make you my queen." He tightened his grip on her, giving her no choice and no chance to escape.

Selena's eyes opened and she laid in bed for a few moments, breathing deeply. She couldn't quite remember what her dream had been, she only had a vague recollection of ball gowns, blood, and a deadly date. Still, she could feel her heart racing and knew that her dream, whatever had happened in it, had been at least slightly frightening.
After a few more moments of laying in bed, she finally got up and began to dress, humming softly to herself as she did. The tune, she was pretty sure, had been in her dream. After she was done getting ready, she headed downstairs to help her mother cook breakfast.
"Hello, dear," her mother said to her, smiling.
"What can I help with?" she asked, already grabbing an apron and tying it around her waist.
"You could make biscuits," her mother said, pointing to some flour, eggs, etc sitting on the counter next to a large bowl.
With a nod, Selena set to work. She hummed some more as she worked, cheerfully going about her business.
"What song is that?" her mother asked.
"I'm not sure. I think it was in my dream last night," Selena answered.
"It sound familiar, but I can't place it."
"Neither can I."
Once they had finished making breakfast, Selena grabbed a pail to go get milk from their cow. Many places simply bought milk form milk men by then, not bothering to go out and milk cows anymore, but Selena's town was old-fashioned. And besides, Selena enjoyed doing it because she loved their cow.
"Hey, Selena," Catherine called cheerfully from the neighboring house. The two girls, conveniently, lived right next to each other.
"Hello, Catherine," she said with a smile. Catherine was hanging washed clothes out on the line to dry. Considering how much there was to do, and how much they actually had to, the two girls were rather fortunate in their amount of chores.
After Selena had finished milking their cow, she brought the milk back inside and set it down on the counter next to the food.
"Selena, dear, could you go wake Vlad and tell him the food's ready?" her mother asked her.
"Sure," she said with a smile, going upstairs to his room. When she got there, she knocked softly. "Vlad? Are you awake? Breakfast is done." Hearing no response, she opened the door a crack and found his room empty. She stepped inside, looking around, but Vlad was not to be found. She was wondering when he had left. It must have been very early if her mother hadn't seen him go.
"He's not here," she told her mother, walking back into the kitchen.
"Really? Hmm. He must be out looking for work, then. Well then, let's eat!"
After she was finished with the rest of her chores (cleaning the dishes and making sure the cow had fresh hay), Selena went out to the little brook where she and Catherine always met, expecting to see her friend already there. Catherine, however, had not yet arrived. Instead, she saw the smiling face of George Anderson.
"Hi," he said to her.
"Hi," she said back, millions of butterflies twirling inside her stomach.
"I believe I owe you a secret."
"Yes, you do." She walked over to him, anticipating what his 'secret' might be. Yesterday, she was so sure he was going to kiss her, and she desperately hoped that she was right in that assumption.
"Lean in so I can whisper it to you," he said, grinning at her. When she leaned, he shook his head. "Closer. It's a big secret." She leaned in closer, so that their faces were barely two inches apart. "Alright, my secret is..." He leaned forward, closing the tiny distance between them and lightly pressing his lips to hers. After a few moments, he pulled away, beaming at her. "There, Now we have a secret all our own, one we can repeat over and over every time we're here together."
She grinned back, her heart twisting and flipping inside of her chest. "It's certainly a great secret."
"I have to go. My father's expecting me" he said, looking saddened by the thought. "But I'll see you later, alright? Meet me here, tonight when the moon is high." He kissed her lightly one more time, and then he left, turning back every few seconds to look at her and smile warmly.
She nodded breathlessly, the thought of sneaking out and meeting him in the middle of the night filling her up with anticipation and joy.
"Ugh! I finally managed to get away! My mum wanted me to sweep the whole house, feed Johnny, change his clothes when he got food all over them, and wash the baby before she'd let me out!" Catherine had walked up behind Selena, completely unaware of what had happened between her and George. "Have you been waiting long?"
"Not really," Selena said, nearly breathless.
Her tone of voice caught Catherine's attention, and Catherine raised an eyebrow. "Were you waiting alone?"
"No," Selena said with a grin. "I was waiting with George Anderson. He shared a sort of secret with me."
"Ooh, who cares about my chores?? Tell me everything!" Catherine grinned excitedly at her, plopping down on the grass gracefully, her eyes large and eager.
"He kissed me," Selena squealed, sitting down next to her. "Twice!"
"What?? Give me details!"
Grinning happily the entire time, Selena told Catherine everything that had happened between her and George, ending with her agreeing to meet him there that night.
"Oh my gosh! You're so lucky! Every girl who's ever seen him wants to be with him, and he chose you! I'm so jealous but happy for you!" Catherine giggled, bouncing excitedly like a four-year-old might. "You have to tell me everything that happens with him tonight! Wait. You're not going to... you know... with him, are you?" She gave Selena a pointed look, raising her eyebrows.
"No!" Selena blushed at the thought. "No, nothing like that! I am a lady, and he is a gentleman! We certainly won't be doing that until marriage, as is proper!"
"Good! Just checking," Catherine said with a laugh.
The rest of the day was spent with the girls talking and giggling by the brook, neither of them having care in the world. The fortunate girls had no knowledge of what dark events their futures held. For the time being, they could simply be girls, and enjoy the things that all girls enjoy talking about, like romantic interests, annoying families, etc. The future was the future, and was not to be troubled over. But it was rapidly approaching, growing closer and closer to the present with every second that passed.