Sequel: Cleave
Status: Complete

Corrupt Me

Micah

I guess I knew how Angel felt about me. It isn't hard to see, really. And I guess I expected the time to come eventually when he would ask me “out”. Ask me to date him. To be his boyfriend. Whatever it's called. I just wasn't expecting it to come so soon after I broke up with Isabelle. I thought he would have waited a little while, keep things going along how they were with no strings attached, so to speak. He knows how difficult this whole “sexually confused” thing is for me, so it shocked me when we were just messing around, having a good time, when suddenly he blurted out of nowhere that he wanted me to be his boyfriend. He apologised after a few seconds of confused silence on my part, saying that it wasn't meant to come out like that, or at all, but I could see the pleading and pain in his eyes as he spoke his apology. I knew he meant what he said. I know how much he likes me. Loves me, even. It's not difficult to see. A blind man could see it. And I like him too. A lot. Against all odds, I've fallen for him too. Which is why, against everything I've grown up knowing, and perhaps against my better judgement, I placed a finger over his lips to quiet him, and answered with a simple “okay”.

And he'd stared at me, like he was properly seeing me for the first time. The cogs in his head seemed to be turning as he thought over my simple word. It took a few long moments for him to be able to speak again.
“I…you… Are you fucking with me again?” he demanded. I almost laughed, because what could have been a beautiful moment was ruined in an instant.

I took a moment to compose myself, and replied, “No, I'm not. This…this thing…we have going on. It's special. And terrifying, and I've never done anything this scary in my life. I've never taken risks, never really gone out of my comfort zone. Never done something just for me because it makes me happy. But terrifying as it is, I want to try it. But I'm not ready for people to know yet.”

The smile on his face. It was the brightest I had ever seen in my entire life. I knew he wanted to kiss me from the way his eyes glanced down to my lips, but he knew from what I just said that I was not ready for kissing in public just yet. So he hugged me instead. A quick and simple hug, anyone would have thought it was just a hug between friends. But the whisper in my ear as he hugged me was definitely not just friendly; “I love you, thank you.”

He smiled again as he pulled away, and said, as if the whole exchange about becoming boyfriends never happened, “Are we going to get these amazing milkshakes or not?”
I just nodded, way too lost in my thoughts to be able to form words. We went inside the coffee shop and headed to a table, with me still in a daze. I managed to get out the words “strawberry, please” when he asked what flavour I wanted and I sat myself down while he went to get the shakes. I rubbed my temples with my fingertips, trying to comprehend the fact that I have a boyfriend. I have a boyfriend. I, Micah, has a freaking boyfriend. What the fuck. How did this happ-

“Are you okay?” Angel’s voice interrupted my internal monologue. He had returned with two enormous milkshakes, topped with ice cream and chocolate flakes. He set the pink one down in front of me while the pale yellow one stayed with him.

I didn't really want to tell him what was going through my head so I decided to change the subject before the subject was even broached. When he sat down, I eyed his milkshake.
“What flavour is that?”
“Banana.” I wrinkled my nose up. “Excuse me, what the fuck is wrong with banana?”
“Yuck,” I replied, sticking my tongue out for effect.
“I could say the same thing about strawberry,” he shot back.
“No way, strawberry is the best!”
“Ew, yuck, strawberry, gross!” he said, quite loudly, I might add. Several people turned to look at us.
I laughed, “Shut up, you're disturbing the other customers!”
“So?” he replied, also laughing. “They need some entertainment in their miserable little lives.”
I shrugged, and took a sip of my drink. He did the same with his.
“Mmm, banana milkshake,” he said after he finished, messing around with me some more. I just snorted, and he grinned. “You know it's better than strawberry. You know you want some. Go on, baby, try some yummy banana milkshake.”

His voice had become a purr, and I felt something swoop in my stomach. Oh God, don't you do this to me again. I became really warm, knowing that this was the exact same feeling I had on Tuesday in the biology room that ended up with me having a small problem in my nether region. I think Angel must have noticed my sudden change in demeanour, because he very slowly and deliberately (and sensually) sucked the top of his straw into his mouth to take a slow sip, and when he finished, licked the tip of the straw, wrapping his tongue around it. Fuck you, Angel. Why are you doing this to me?

I’m positive I went bright red while he was putting on his little show. He must have known what he was doing to me, because he smiled widely when he finished.

“You alright there, baby?”
“I hate you,” I mumbled, and concentrated on drinking my own shake, making sure not to look up at him again until I was finished. When I did, he was watching me with interest.
“Did I make you uncomfortable?” he asked with a slight laugh.
“You know you did,” I replied, blushing again.
“I’m sorry.”
“No, you aren’t. You did it on purpose.” I glared at him, but I wasn’t really angry. He chuckled.
“Yeah, I did. But I just love it when you blush like that,” he said, which, as if on cue, made me blush again.
Angel stood up, having finished his shake while I wasn’t looking.
“Come on, I’ll call Drew and we can take you home. It’s too far to walk back to either of our houses and I don’t own a car anyway. We can have a look at some shops while we wait for him. Sound okay?”
I nodded, a little apprehensive because I don’t know Drew that well, but stood up regardless. We began walking out of the shop and Angel pulled out his phone to call Drew.
I walked quietly beside him as he began to speak.
“Hey dude, you busy?” He listened for a few seconds, and scrunched his nose up. “That's gross, I don't care who you're sexting right now or how many nudes you've seen, can you come pick me and Micah up from the coffee shop down the road from school?” He listened for a few more seconds. “Thanks, man. See you soon. Let me know when you get here… Yeah…bye.”
He hung up the phone and turned to me, “He'll be here in about 5 or 10 minutes.”
I nodded.
“You wanna look at a couple of shops?” Angel asked.
“Okay,” I replied, and we started moving towards a small chocolate shop that was a few doors down from the coffee shop.

It didn't take long before Drew called Angel saying he was there to pick us up. Angel and I had looked in a few shops but neither of us bought anything. We left a small grocery store we were browsing and looked around for Drew’s car. I knew what it looked like. It was a massive thing, and it wasn't hard to miss, especially since ridiculously loud music was playing from within it. Angel rolled his eyes, but led me towards the beat up truck anyway.

“Will you turn that fucking music down?!” was the first thing Angel said to his best friend as he opened the car door.
Drew grinned. “Yes, Your Highness,” he said as he turned it down. “Hey Micah.”
I suddenly became very shy, and mumbled a “hey” in return.

We started on our trip home as soon as Angel and I were in our seats. It was a quiet one, except for the music in the background and Drew asking me the occasional direction to my house which I replied to with stutters. I don't know why Drew makes me so nervous. He seems like a nice enough guy. Maybe it's just because the last (and first) time I met him, his best friend was thinking of hurting himself because of me. But he seems to be over that. Maybe it's just because he’s a bit scary looking. He has enough piercings in his face that my mother would have a heart attack if she saw him and that kind of tough guy demeanour. That's probably it. I'm going to have to get over that if I'm going to be dating his best friend, though. I can't be scared of Angel’s friends. That would be weird. I decided that I would just try my best to not be scared of Drew, or any of Angel’s other friends, for that matter, even though I haven't met any of them properly.

Just as I made that decision, Drew pulled up out the front of my house. I did my best to confidently smile and thank him and then got out of the enormous truck quickly. Angel also got out of the car and followed me up the drive.

“Hey, are you okay?” he asked as we were a few metres from the front door.
“Yeah, I'm okay,” I replied. I thought for a second before continuing. “Just a little…overwhelmed, I guess.”
He chuckled lightly, “I guess it's not everyday you come home with a boyfriend.”
“Definitely not,” I agreed, and glanced towards one of the front windows of my house. Peeking between the curtains was my mother. I sighed. “I have to go. Mom knows I'm back and she'll come out in a few seconds if I don't come in.”
“Fair enough. I'd kiss you, but that probably wouldn't be such a good idea.” I shook my head. “Well, in that case, I'll see you soon, and talk to you sooner.”
“Okay. Bye,” I replied, not really knowing what else to say. Angel held my eyes in his gaze for a long second before he began walking down the drive to Drew’s car. I watched him until he opened the door, and then I entered my house.

My mother was waiting just far enough away from the door that I didn't hit her with it when I opened it. She had her arms folded over her chest and a stern look on her face. She didn't say anything. She was clearly waiting for me to speak.
“Uh, hey Mom,” were the genius words I came up with.
“Where have you been? Who was that? And who was driving?”
“I was at a coffee shop having a milkshake, and they were Angel and Drew. Angel's my partner for a biology assignment. We're friends.”
“I don't like the look of either of them,” she said. I knew that was coming.
“Of course you don't,” I muttered.
“Don't mumble, Micah, it's rude. And I want you to stay away from them. They look dangerous.”
I almost laughed, realising that that was my first impression of them as well. Instead, I replied, “You don't even know them. Just because they don't look like the perfect church kids doesn't mean they're dangerous.”
“I want you to stay away from them,” my mother said slowly, as if I was stupid.
“No, they're my friends,” I replied back, just as slowly.
“Stop being defiant, Micah. I'm doing what is best for you.”
“No, you aren't,” I shot back. “You just don't want your perfect church friends to see me hanging around with people you don't approve of because they don't fit your standards. Well guess what, I'm sixteen, I can choose my own friends. Unlike you, I don't judge people based on face value!”
My outburst was followed by stunned silence from both my mother and me. I've never yelled at her like that before. I've never been so defiant, either.
My mother composed herself by taking a long breath in and breathing out slowly.
“I want you to go to your room, and I want you to think about everything you just said to me. You are staying here this weekend and I'm taking your computer and phone. Am I understood?”
Grounded. Fabulous. I've been getting grounded more lately than I ever have in my life, and you know what? I don't even care that much.
I nodded curtly once, and marched down the hall to my room. I immediately flung myself on my bed, pulled my phone out of my pocket to send Angel a quick text. Hey, so…ive been grounded 4 the weeknd 4 talking back 2 mom. Shes probs gonna take my fone soon so I probs wont b able 2 txt u much more. Have a good weekend xo.

Just as I pressed send, my mother came into my room. “I want your phone and computer now, please.”
I rolled my eyes, but I turned off my phone anyway and gave it to her. I wasn't going to get up to give her my laptop. She could get that herself if she wanted it. I just rolled onto my back and stared up at the ceiling until she left with the parting words, “Remember what I want you to think about. I'll bring you up some dinner later.”
I just ignored what she said. I heard her sigh and shut the door.

I didn't spend any time thinking about what she told me to. Instead, I spent my time thinking of the ways she could possibly react if I told her I was dating a boy. A “dangerous” boy, at that. There was no way that I actually would tell her, but it was nice to picture the look on her face if I were to sit her down and say it. The picture in my head made me smile as I drifted off to sleep, and I fell into a dream that started off as a memory. Angel and I were sitting in the coffee shop with our milkshakes in front of us…
♠ ♠ ♠
So, lately I'm kinda feeling like a lot of you aren't really liking this that much anymore. Aside from a few people who comment regularly, I'm not getting a lot of feedback. Do you still like it? Is it moving too fast? Anything you'd like to see that I haven't done? Please let me know. I want you guys to love this story and I just don't know if you are or not.

Having said that, thank you to megzor, Sarcastically Blunt and Sucks For You for commenting on the last chapter.

If anyone's interested, megzor has written a story starring yours truly (we do actually know each other IRL, in case you're wondering) and Alex Gaskarth of All Time Low. I edit it, it's a comedy and I thoroughly enjoy it. If you're interested, click here