‹ Prequel: By The Begonia
Status: A three part one-shot. Working progress

Tell Me What You Know

Part 3

Their marriage was performed by a slightly tipsy priest and witnessed by a scruffy lantern lighter and a carriage driver, both of whom seemed rather confused by the whole affair. When the more enthusiastic of the two, the carriage driver, asked the bride for a kiss Scott promptly knocked the man unconscious and ordered the shocked lantern lighter to remove him. Since Emily’s surprise request for him to kiss her, Scott was feeling more protective and certainly more attracted to her. Why had she asked him to do that? The question puzzled him all through the ceremony, but he supposed he had more important things to think about; like a blackmailer.

Kissing his new wife briefly on the lips, Scott bid her good night, again, and retired to her guest room. He had never envisioned spending his wedding night in a separate room from his wife, but he had no wish to force his conjugal rights on her, when he had already forced the marriage itself on her. Just as he was slipping naked under the covers a knock sounded at the door. He was taken even more by surprise when he opened the door, wearing the dressing gown borrowed from Emily’s butler, to find Emily herself stood there. In just her nightgown.

“Emily?” he asked hesitantly. She blushed.

“May I come in?” she walked in with out his permission anyway, before she lost her nerve. Stopping to stand in front of the fireplace she turned to face him, startled to find him stood just behind her. She held up a hand to stop him coming any closer. Then he watched her in amazement as one by one she undid the ribbons that held her nightgown closed and slid the straps of her shoulders until the lacy garment slipped to the floor and pooled at her feet. Scott’s eyes widened and his blood heated in his veins as he took in Emily in all her naked glory, her skin glowing a rosy pink in the fire light and her hair a rich golden yellow that flowed down her back and over her bare shoulders. Her gaze was fixed firmly on her bare toes as a warm blush spread up her neck to her cheeks. Smiling gently to himself, Scott reached out a hand and tilted her chin up so she was looking at him again.

“You are beautiful Emily.” He told her sincerely, winding a golden curl around one finger, the rest of his fingers caressing her cheek gently. She turned her cheek into his palm revelling in his soft touch.

“You’re not angry with me for coming here like this?” she asked quietly. He gave his head a heartfelt shake.

“I’m surprised but not angry. I hadn’t realised you felt this way.”

She smiled up at him shyly. “I’m your wife now, not because you made me but because I wanted to be. Make me yours in every way?”

He grinned down at her happily and pulled her too him. “Your wish is my command Mrs Sheridan.” And then he kissed her and drew her with him to the bed.

~

“Good morning lady wife,” Scott said softly pressing a kiss to Emily’s warm bare shoulder. She stirred sleepily, rolling to curl against his chest murmuring in complaint at being disturbed. “It’s time to get up Emily.”

“No.” she moaned drawing the word out and thumping him on the chest. He laughed and kissed her forehead affectionately, pulling her up into sitting position. Emily slumped against him, her mussed curly head tucked under his chin.

“Come on sweetheart, up you get.”

“Noo! I’m tired you kept me awake for ages.” He shoved her off the bed in response. She screamed and a distressed maid flung the door open. Then the maid screamed too. The couple both looked at her startled. The maid ran out the door and down the corridor shouting for help. In a few moments Emily’s severe butler was stood in the doorway staring slack jawed at the now slightly more composed and awake couple.

“Miss Gregory?” he asked after composing himself. “Do you need help?”

“My wife is just fine. We married last night sorry to startle the staff.” Scott informed him coolly.

“Yes sir. Would you like a breakfast tray brought up for you both?” the butler asked stiffly.

“That would be good thank you. Please inform all the staff of our marriage and in future make sure you refer to my wife as Mrs Sheridan please.”

“Yes sir.” The butler turned on his heel and strode back down the corridor.

“You can come out now.” Scott told Emily softly, pulling the covers away from his wife’s head. She blushed up at him now wide awake from her position curled up by his waist. They ate breakfast in companionable silence before heading downstairs to Emily’s beloved library. She curled up in Scott’s lap in the lap armchair by the fire and rested her head on his broad chest, which she now decided was one of her favourite of Scott’s body parts. She felt so relaxed when she was with him, safe and secure and yet so adventurous at the same time. The fact that she felt safe reminded her that she was actually safe at all really.

“What are we going to do about the blackmailer Scott?”

“Well sweetheart I think I have narrowed it down. But enticing them out will be more difficult.”

“Oh really!” she threw her arms around his neck and hugged him. “How do we entice him? Oh if your plan works and we catch him or her I promise never to gossip ever again. I will never write that gossip paper again, god knows my life is interesting enough without other people’s dirty laundry but I’m not sure what to do instead.”

“Perhaps you could write a book,” Scott suggested mulling it over, “You have enough wild examples to twist into an interesting story all of your own.”

“True,” she replied with a laugh. “Now what’s your plan?”

He pulled her closer and pressed a quick kiss to her temple before whispering in her ear a rather unusual plan.

~

Emily stood alone in a niche at the edge of the ballroom, partly hidden by a large potted plant, fanning herself vigorously with her silk fan. The ball was a crush and stiflingly hot despite her light, flimsy organza dress. It was a tempting creation that skimmed her curves in turquoise silk, veiled by flowing swathes of aqua net in a Grecian style and held up by two ornate silver clasps on her shoulders. She wasn’t feeling at all prepared for this part of Scott’s plan and her discomfort was adding to her raised temperature.

“Good evening Miss Gregory, may I solicit you for this dance,” came a low raspy voice, that reminded her of dry leaves being stepped on. It sent a shiver up her spine. She turned to face the man reluctantly, a false smile plastered on her face.

“Lord Crispin,” Emily replied with false brightness. He bent low over her hand and pressed a wet kiss to her gloved hand, which left a damp mark on the white silk, ogling her breast while he was down there. She tried not to grimace. “Of course my Lord, it would be a pleasure.”

He practically dragged her through the crowds of party guests and onto the dance floor. His hands gasped her damp and clammy, the one on her waist resting dangerously close to her bottom. Emily bit back a gasp of outrage and forced herself to stop from stepping back away from him. The music started and she focused on the beautiful melody, rather than his grasping hands and the drone of his voice asking her things she felt uncomfortable answering.

“A fiancée Miss Gregory? You surprise me I thought you would be happier wallowing in your sordid scandals, than in married bliss.” Emily looked up at him her eyes wide and horrified. He had just confirmed her worst fears, he knew her secret. But she didn’t grace him with an answer; she looked away and continued to dance. His face blackened, he did not like not being able to get a rise out of his enemies. So he tried again. And again until the dance ended and he had to do the polite thing and bid her good eve, bowing low over her hand again. She looked around her, desperately searching the heaving ballroom for Scott. But she didn’t have too.

“Crispin, I bid you unhand my wife.” Came Scott’s cool, hard voice from behind her. Emily whorled to face him, her aqua skirts swishing around their legs. Tears stung her eyes. Scott had warned her of the hateful things Lord Crispin would properly say to her but she had not expected them to cut her so deeply. She flung herself into his arms. It was an unplanned move, making Scott stiffen slightly in surprise, but then he held her close and scowled at Crispin over her blonde head. “She is clearly upset, what did you say to her?”

The guests circled the distressed couple and the sneering Lord Crispin on the empting dance floor, murmuring at the intrigue.

“Nothing at all Mr Sheridan, just the truth.”

“Which is?”

“She’s a gossip mongering whore.” Everyone surrounding them gasped in shock. Scott stepped away from Emily, leaving her alone in the middle of the dance floor wiping away hot tears, stepping towards Crispin. Crispin stood his ground. Scott’s hands clenched into fist as he squared up to the sneering Lord. He wished so much he could just punch the evil man square on the jaw for all to see, but it was just not the done thing. Instead he drew in a deep breathe and stated loudly.

“I challenge you to a duel at dawn tomorrow.” A pasty faced matron at the edge of the crowd swooned in horror and the sound of outraged murmurs rose through them all. Emily was more, well liked then she had thought. Scott turned away satisfied for now and took Emily gently by the arm. “Come my dear we’re leaving.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Hello my lovelies! because i've enjoyed writing this so much its going to be longer!!! properly five chapters now. so enjoy this installment and please keep reading and commenting jules x