Status: Ongoing

Ain't Love Grand?

Hero

"Get away from her!"

I heard Alex's voice rise above the booming music in the club, but I could barely register anything that was going on around me. My head was spinning; my vision was all out of focus and strange hands held their place on my hips. I tried to come to my senses, to find out what was going on but I could barely even move. I heard the guy holding me whisper that it would be OK and that he'd take care of me before Alex stormed over and forcefully ripped him away from me, landing a solid punch to his jaw that floored him instantly.

Barely in control of my own body, I fell back against the wall and rested against it for support as Alex laid into the guy on the ground. For a split second it felt like I was watching from a distance, or that I was watching myself in some kind of movie. I went so light-headed I felt like I was going to collapse. I hadn't had all THAT much to drink, either. The bastard had spiked me.

By the time I'd regained at least some of my senses, security were hauling Alex toward the exit. He was livid – still trying to get at the guy on the floor who, by this point, was barely even conscious.

I stumbled toward him, not wanting to be left in there on my own. He stopped struggling against the bouncers and opted to leave of his own accord. I followed him into the street and flung my arms around his neck, clinging to him tightly. He was still fuming. I could tell with how hesitant he was to hug me back. His eyes bore into the building and I just knew he was contemplating going back in there to finish things.

"Just leave it, Alex," I told him, not wanting it to go any further. I didn't want him getting himself into trouble over me. This was supposed to be a celebration of a successful European tour, and the start of them branching out and reaching new territories. I didn't want him getting hurt or getting thrown in jail.

He settled his hands on my hips and looked into my eyes. "Are you all right?" he asked, studying my pupils.

I nodded my head. "I am now," I told him, smiling to give him some reassurance. "A little dizzy," I confessed with a small shrug of my shoulders, "but I'll be fine."

"Are you sure?" there was genuine concern in his voice as he looked at me intently, trying to decide for himself whether I was telling the truth or not.

Nodding my head I hugged him tighter. "Fine, Alex," I said, resting my head on his shoulder. "You saved me," I commented. "God knows what would have happened to me if you weren't there."

He let out an angered grunt and I felt his body tense slightly. "I don't even wanna think about it," he grumbled through clenched teeth, but I could tell from his reaction that he WAS thinking about it.

I sighed into his shoulder. "Will you walk me home?" I asked, raising my head to look at him. "Please?"

"Of course," he responded. "No way am I letting you go alone." He forced the smallest of smiles as we finally broke from the comforting embrace.

I slipped my hand into his as we started walking, lacing our fingers and squeezing as I looked up at him with a smile. "My hero."