Status: A zombie! It's coming back from the dead!

Maybe She's Breaking?

Lying.

I find myself standing behind Derrick in the lunch line. I’m standing there trying to work up the courage to say something when he turns around suddenly and starts talking to me first.

“I know she’s been telling you guys stuff, but it’s all lies.” He says slowly. He’s looking past me, over my shoulder as he talks to me. I wanted to yell at him for it. I mean, I know I’m ugly and all, but that doesn’t mean he’s too good to not look me in the eye when he talks to me. No one could possibly be that popular. “You believe me, don’t you?”

What could he have possibly wanted me to say to that? Yes? I couldn’t possibly do that.

“I’m honestly not going to get in between you two on that.” I’d almost forgotten what my voice sounded like again. It would have been sad, if it wasn’t something that tended to happen to me on a normal basis. “It’s really none of my business.”

“But she’s still your sister.” Derrick said. I think he was just trying to get something out of me again. He really had always been the type to do way too much just to try to get a tiny piece of information.

I shrugged. Even if I did know anything, I wouldn’t be telling him about it. We were halfway through the line at this point. He could only bother me for so long afterall. He wouldn’t stand around after we were through the line and risk letting anyone getting to think that he was actually talking to me. That could really ruin his reputation, and all he’s worked for these three and then some years he’s been in high school. He’d never let someone like me ruin his senior year.

“She really doesn’t even talk to me anymore.” I said. It was a simple answer and the complete truth, but all it seemed to do was irritate Derrick to the point that he started glaring at me. He wasn’t ever nice to people who refused to give him what he wanted. I was kind of in a line of fire, standing there, not telling him what he wanted just then.

“Sure.” He said bluntly. He thought I was lying. I did know that much. “Just don’t go spreading shit around that you know absolutely nothing about. If her little lie gets out my life could be royally fucked up for good.”

He stomped away to his usual table, and I just stood there and watched him leave for a few seconds before retreating to mine too.

What exactly was it that Ellie waslying about anyway?