Status: Three-Shot: Complete

Thanks, Best Friend

2/3

"Hey, Pat." I sat down next to my best friend in the locker room.

"Julie." Patrick looked up at me apologetically. "I'm so sorry. Toewser told me what happened, and-"

I sighed. "It's fine, Patty. Seriously, whatever." I smiled and he smiled back with relief.

"I was drunk and forgot you were home," he explained quietly.

I nodded. "Then don't get drunk next time."

He smirked. "It's so fun, though." I rolled my eyes and he slung his arm over my shoulder.

"Sorry again, best friend." I leaned into him and smiled.

"You're forgiven, best friend," I mocked and he grinned.

"Love you." He glanced beside him to Jonathan. "Thanks for taking care of her, Toews."

Jonathan nodded and I smiled at him.

"No problem, Kaner. You were doing a pretty bad job of it."

Patrick looked at him in mock anger. "Shutup, man. As long as you both kept your shirts on, I'm cool." Jonathan smirked and Patrick's mouth dropped. He turned to me. "Julie! You and Toews did not-" I cut him off by placing my hand over his mouth.

"Patrick, shut up," I blushed. "It wasn't like that."

Patrick smirked and I noticed Jon tying up his skates, looking amused. I glared at the side of his face and turned back to my smug friend.

"Oh, no? Then what was it like?" I could tell he was enjoying this and I groaned. "Speaking of shirts and no shirts, is that Toewser's shirt?"

I blushed even more furiously. "I didn't want to wear my second-day clothes to the game, okay?"

"Trying to impress someone?" Patrick wiggled his eyebrows.

"Have a good game." I stood up, rushing out of the locker room before anyone else could see me blushing.

***
"Hey, Jules! The guys are going to Randy's Bar just up the street. You coming?" Patrick yelled to me at the door from his spot in the locker room. They had won the game against Ottawa 4-2.

I rolled my eyes and sighed. "No, Patrick." He pretend pouted and I walked over to him. "Maybe you shouldn't, either," I said to him quietly.

"I'll be fine, Jules. No girls this time, alright?" He ruffled my hair as he stood up to follow some of the guys out of the room. "Oh," he called from the doorway, "I'm getting a ride with Steegy. He's the DD for tonight. Mind driving the car home?" Without waiting for an answer, he threw me the keys. I sighed as he disappeared behind the door.

I glanced around the room. There were only a few guys left; Jonathan, Patrick Sharp, and Duncan Keith.

"Don't feel like partying tonight?" I questioned.

"I have a family waiting for me," Duncan reminded me. I nodded, and Sharp spoke up.

"I have a wife now," he grinned.

"Right, cute." I grinned back.

I turned to Jonathan. "No partying for you, Toewser?"

"Toewser doesn't like to have fun," Sharp smirked.

Jonathan didn't say anything, just shook his head and stood up with his equipment bag.

"Tomorrow's practice is important. Captain Serious, remember? Captain." He put the emphasis on the word 'captain' and Sharp threw his water bottle at him.

"I'm Assistant Captain, kid," Sharp growled. Jonathan laughed and I followed him out into the parking lot.

"See you," I waved as we separated to go to our own cars.

"Text me if you need me," was his response as he walked away.

***
The phone rang around 4:00 the next morning and I groggily rolled over to pick it up.

"Hello?"

"Hey, Julie. It's Alex."

Alex from downstairs?

"Hey?" I questioned.

"Mr. Kane is on his way upstairs."

I was confused. I scratched my head. "Uh, thanks?"

"With a girl." I sighed heavily with realization.

"Okay, thanks, Alex." I paused. "Can you tell me something?"

"Sure."

"Same girl as yesterday?" I bit my lip and squeezed my eyes shut.

Pause. "No."

"Okay. Thanks."

I hung up the phone and felt anger and frustration building up inside of me. I felt my fingers
ball up into fists and thew off the covers. I quickly grabbed a change of clothes, my
toothbrush, and my cell. I threw them into my purse. I grabbed Patrick's car keys and ran
into the apartment building hallway. I hid behind a corner as I heard people stumbling down the hallway. I cringed as I heard Patrick's voice, along with someone's voice that I didn't know, and as soon as I heard the door close I rushed past the apartment and pressed the elevator button.

Alex looked at me sympathetically, and I thanked him for the warning before heading out into the night. Well, morning. I cringed as I saw snowflakes drifting down to the ground. I ran to Patrick's car and turned on the heat, shivering as I pulled out my phone. I looked at it and sighed. I pressed the call button hesitantly.

"Hello?"

"Hey. It's me."

***
I woke up a few hours later in Jon's spare bedroom. I rubbed my forehead as memories of the past night flooded through my mind. I pushed them away and made my way out of the room. I was surprised to hear the TV playing and to smell the scent of eggs and bacon. I walked down the stairs and turned into the kitchen. I found Jon standing at the stove, cooking eggs. There was a pile of bacon on a plate beside the stove, and as he reached to grab a piece of it, he noticed me standing there. He shoved the bacon in his mouth and nodded at me. He grabbed a plate and threw a couple of eggs on it, handing an empty plate to me. He swallowed the bacon and followed me to the table.

"You didn't have to make me breakfast," I said quietly as we sat down.

"I was hungry. Thought you might be too," he replied. I nodded, then sighed. I picked up my fork and swirled it around, not bothering to take any food. Jon looked up at me.

"Do you not like eggs and bacon?"

"No, no. I do. Thanks, Jon, really." I assured him. "I'm just thinking."

"You and Kaner will work it out."

I sighed. "I hope so. I kinda feel bad for raiding your apartment." I gave him a halfhearted smile and he smiled back.

"No worries. I like the company."

***
I always ended up forgiving Patrick. His eyes and smile always made me cave, and by the next night, I was in my bed in our apartment. Patrick always went out, but he would promise me that this time he would be responsible and only have one drink.

Each time, he lied.

And I would find myself once again standing outside of Jonathan's house.

After about a week, I knew what I had to do. I had told Patrick how I felt, and each time, he betrayed my trust.

This time, I waited for Patrick at the apartment after practice. When he walked through the door, I crossed my arms, standing up to face him.

"Julie-" he started to say. I held up my hand, and he stopped talking.

"I had hoped that you weren't what everyone said you had become, but you are, Patrick. You're disgusting." I paused. "I'm leaving." I felt tears fill my eyes and I angrily wiped them away. "I can't believe you turned out like this." I turned on my heel to grab my duffel bag, which held the belongings I needed and I felt him grab my arm.

"Turned out like what, Julie? Someone that actually has fun? Someone that has sex, like normal people do?"

I felt a tear slip down my cheek and I shook my arm so that he would let go. "This is exactly what I mean. A few months ago you would have never cared that I didn't drink, or that I was a virgin. Even if you cared, you wouldn't have said anything about it... A few months ago you actually knew how to treat girls. A few months ago you were still my best friend Patrick." I brushed past him and paused with my hand on the door. "Anything more to say?" I questioned quietly. He didn't turn to face me and I nodded. "That's what I thought." And with that, I closed the door behind me.

***
I walked for a good half hour, not really caring where I was going. I sat down on a park bench and placed my bag beside me. It was snowing, and as I felt the flakes fall gently around me, I realized that I had no place to stay, and no best friend, with a week left until Christmas.

My thoughts and silent tears were interrupted by the buzzing of my phone. I pulled it out and looked at the screen through foggy eyes.

How did the talk go? - Jon

A few more tears fell and I tried to see through them as I typed my reply.

I left. - Julie

A moment later, my phone buzzed again.

Where are you? - Jon

I smiled slightly, texted him where I was, and waited until the closest thing I had to a best friend came to find me.

***
"I'm just going to get some stuff for supper. Will you be alright?" Jon called from the front porch.

"Yeah," I replied. I sat on the couch and listened to the front door close. I pulled my knees up to my chest and placed my head on my knees. I watched the snow fall outside and I felt the tears well up again. My body started to rack with sobs and I don't know how long I sat there, letting the tears pour out. The next thing I knew, the front door was opening and I snapped my head up. I quickly wiped my eyes with the back of my sleeve and turned away.

"Hey, I got spaghetti. Is that okay?"

I reluctantly turned towards him and smiled weakly. "Yeah."

He frowned and dropped the bags on the floor. "Were you crying?"

I shook my head no and bit my lip. It was no use. I felt my lip trembling and I started to cry again. I suddenly felt myself being pulled into strong arms and I cried into Jonathan's chest. He gently rubbed my back and I finally calmed down. I pulled away from him and sighed.

"I got tears on your shirt," I pointed out. His arm was still around my shoulders and he shook his head.

"It's fine. You good?"

I nodded and looked at the ground. I felt Jon's eyes on me. "I just lost my best friend. And my house. And Christmas is in a week." I groaned and fell back on the couch. Jon rubbed his chin.

"You and Kaner will work things out eventually. Even if you don't live together, you guys will still be friends. I know he's an idiot, but he's not stupid enough to lose someone like you." I smiled. "And you can stay here as long as you need." Jon stated simply.

I sat up. "I don't want to impose on you, Jon," I protested.

He shook his head. "Stay as long as you need to." He paused. "I'm going back to Winnipeg for a few days for Christmas, though." He said this almost apologetically, and I had to laugh.

"Jon, are you seriously feeling bad for going home for Christmas?" I smiled.

He scratched his head and laughed. "Will you be okay?"

I nodded. "I was planning to go home, anyway."

Jon nodded. "Alright."
♠ ♠ ♠
haha aw Jonny