Status: Three-Shot: Complete

Thanks, Best Friend

3/3

A few days later, I found myself getting ready in Jon's spare room for a Christmas Party at Adam Burish's house. I was nervous about seeing Patrick, but the plan was to avoid him as best I could. He'd probably just get drunk anyway. The good news was, there would be no random girls for him to take home.

"Ten minutes!" Jon called from across the hall.

I threw on my new, simple red dress, and finished putting on my makeup, before I made my way downstairs. Jon stood by the door in a black tuxedo, looking quite handsome. His eyes widened as I walked down the stairs and I blushed.

"You look really good," he informed me. I smiled nervously and felt butterflies flying around in my stomach.

"You don't look too bad yourself, Mr. Toews," I replied as I put on my shoes. He opened the door for me and we walked to his car.

***
"Jules! You look hot!" Kris Versteeg opened the door and I grinned.

"Thanks, Steegy. Merry Christmas."

Jon followed me in and I looked around. Bur's house was huge. I turned back to Versteeg and Jonathan and raised an eyebrow.

"Nice house."

Jonathan nodded, and Kris narrowed his eyes at the two of us.

"Why'd you come with Toews?"

I glanced at Jonathan and tried to come up with an explanation.

"I, uh-"

"Are you guys an item?" He wiggled his eyebrows and I was about to protest when Jon spoke up for me.

"Shut it, Fergie. Kaner had stuff to do before the party so I drove her."

Versteeg studied both our faces before shrugging and heading into the kitchen. I decided to go say hi to Sharpie. We were in the middle of our conversation when I felt an arm on my elbow. I turned and came face to face with Patrick. His eyes searched mine and he smiled weakly.

"Hi."

"Hi," I replied.

"Can we talk?" His eyes were pleading, and I sighed. He led me over to where couples were dancing. I reluctantly placed my arms around his neck and he placed his hands on my waist. So much for avoiding him. I could at least avoid his eyes.

"I don't know what to say to make you forgive me," he said quietly."My life isn't the same without Jules."

I sighed. "I don't know what you can say either, Pat."

"Look at me," he said. I reluctantly looked up into his blue eyes. They stared at me with sincere apology. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have brought girls home without warning you. And I shouldn't have been out drunk all the time instead of with my best friend."

"I forgive you, Patty." He grinned. "But," his face changed to a look of worry. "I'm not moving back in with you. We can be best friends and not live together. I think it was complicating things."

He nodded in agreement, and pulled me closer so that he could whisper in my ear. "I don't think Toewser wants you to move back in with me, either, judging by the death glare he's giving me right now."

I blushed and turned my head casually to see Jonathan standing at the other end of the room, a drink in his hand. When our eyes met, he started to walk towards me and Patrick.

"Go for it," Patrick whispered in my ear before giving my hand a squeeze and walking away. I watched his retreating figure before turning towards Jonathan. He had almost reached me, and I helped him by taking a few steps in his direction.

"Do you wanna dance?" he asked. I nodded, and he placed his hands on my waist. I realized how different this was then dancing with Patrick; everytime Jonathan touched me, I felt tingles all over and the butterflies almost burst out of my stomach. I wrapped my arms around his neck and he pulled me closer, so that my head was resting on his chest.

"Did you guys work things out?" he whispered in my ear.

I nodded, and pulled away slightly. "I'm not moving back in with him, though. If that's what you're asking." I smiled up at him, and he smiled back. I let my head fall back on his chest.

***
That night, I stood by the window and stared, before grabbing my coat and boots and running outside. Jon must have heard the door slam, because a few moments later, he appeared at the door, looking quite amused when he saw me spinning around.

"I love this," I called. The snow was falling in big, fat, flakes, and the ground was completely covered. The only light was the one coming from Jon's house, and that disappeared for a moment as he closed the door, only to re-appear a moment later with his jacket and boots on. He joined me and I grinned up at the 19-year old.

"This reminds me of Canada."

He nodded in understanding, taking in the surroundings. I grinned mischeviously, before reaching down and grabbing snow, quickly turning it into a ball and holding it up so he could see.

"You wouldn't dare."

I grinned. "Watch me." I let the ball fly from my hands, and Jonathan ducked just in time.

Stupid reflexes of a hockey player. I ran away, laughing, and what followed next was a full-on snowball fight.

I was reaching down to grab more snow when I felt Jon's arms wrap around my waist, causing the snow in my hand to fall to the ground. "Not fair!" I giggled as he spun me around to face him. Our eyes met, and his face turned from a smile into a look of intensity. He dropped the snowball he held in his hands and took a step towards me. My breath caught in my throat as he gazed down at me, searching my eyes, before leaning down and pressing his cold lips against my own. I found myself willingly kissing him back. He pulled away and I kept my eyes closed, the feel of his lips on mine still lingering. I let out all the air I had been holding in and heard Jonathan chuckle. I opened my eyes to find him with his hands in his pockets, looking at the ground.

"What was that?"

Jon shrugged and kicked at the ground with his shoe. "You looked cute standing in the snow like that. I guess I just -"

He stopped talking as I took a step toward him, looking up at his dark eyes. "You think I'm cute?" I asked softly, butterflies nearly overtaking my stomach.

He nodded and looked at me, smirking. He placed his hand on the side of my face and grazed his thumb over my cheek, causing my skin to tingle.

"I need to thank Patrick for getting rid of you."

My jaw dropped. "Jonathan! That's a horrible thing to-"

His lips covered mine mid-speech, and my knees nearly gave way underneath me.

"If he hadn't gotten rid of you, I never would have gotten you," he whispered against my lips.
♠ ♠ ♠
tehehee, cheeeese.