Status: Active

Falling for Eternity

Confession

"I just wish you could stay a little longer."

As soon as the words left my mouth, I could see the guilt present in my mother's sweet smile.

"I do too, sweetheart." She said, taking my hand into her own.

In all the months I had lasted without her, I realised that nobody in the world would ever understand me the way she did. She saw me, in a light that was entirely my own.

"If I had known that you and dad.. "

Staring at me knowingly, my mother interjected. "It wasn't your fault, Blake."

"If I had a dollar for everytime you said that.. " I chuckled.

"That's only because it's true." She replied, her laugh soon echoing my own.

I took a sip from my ice tea, watching as my mother's gaze shifted away from me and towards the sparkling silver object that wrapped delicately around my wrist.

"My great grandmother gave that to me, you know." She said.

"It's really beautiful, mom. I just don't get why you didn't keep it for yourself."

She smiled, subtly stirring some sugar into her coffee. "I figured you might need it."

I furrowed my brows, curiosity lining the words that followed. "And why is that?"

After sipping from and setting her cup down, her bright green eyes met with my own. "When I was your age, I wasn't as wise as you, Blake. My great grandmother gave me this bracelet because it - and I quote - 'warns off evil spirits.' She guaranteed me that I couldn't get into any danger if I wore it. That trouble, in any form, was less likely to find me."

I felt a lump form in my throat, which now felt incredibly dry. I could feel my mind race, way back to the time when I had just learned about the world of vampires and their exsistence in Mystical Falls. The time when Stefan's words had confirmed what my mother had just spoke of. His theory of my bracelet, being lined with vervain.

"I .. I mean.. h-how ... " I stuttered, unable to make any sense of what I was trying to say.

"I know, sweetheart." My mother spoke, her words filled with compassion.

I was at a loss for words, unable to utter anything that I was thinking.

"It's alright, Blake. " She reassured, as if somehow reading my mind. "I've always known."

* * * * *

I shuffled restlessly under my bed sheets, as my body temperature continuously shifted from hot to cold. Sitting up, I reached for my cell phone, noticing the time to be 2.40 a.m. I groaned and ran a hand through my loose brown curls, before pulling them into a high pony tail. Ever since this afternoon, I hadn't spoken to anyone about my mother's confession. Not that I wanted too, ofcourse. It lurked at the back of my mind, however and I debated, for the better part of ten minutes, whether or not I should contact Damon. I knew that if anybody, he would be the one to give me peace of mind... at least till morning.

To - Damon

Are you still awake?

Getting up out of bed, I crept towards the window. I opened it ever so slowly and instantly felt the cool night air hitting my skin. I inhaled it in, like I was breathing for the first time. Then retreated back to bed where I saw my cell flash red, notifying me of a message.

From - Damon

I am now. Is everything alright?

I rubbed my tired eyes, mentally cursing myself for waking him up. What was I thinking?

To - Damon

Yeah, sorry for waking you. False alarm. Go back to sleep. I love you.

I let out a sigh and lay my head back onto the pillow, feeling my eyelids slowly fluttering to a close. It wasn't long after, that I felt a cool presence on the sheets next to me.

"You're a terrible liar." He whispered, "Even when texting."

I smiled and turned around to face him, all the while keeping my eyes closed.

"Blake, you're on fire." He spoke, placing the back of his hand to my cheek.

Without any response, I felt him take off his shirt and pull me towards him. I moaned in relief, as I instantly wrapped myself around his cold body. "This is amazing.. " I mumbled.

And even though I couldn't see him, I pictured the smirk that would be present on his gorgeous face. "Good." He replied, "Now, sleep."

Doing as so instructed, I allowed myself to let go of every conscious thought.

Thinking only of Damon and how lucky I was to have him come rescue me, without feeling the need to question why he was doing so.

* * * * *

When it was almost time for my parents to head to the Airport, I made sure to say my own, personal goodbye before everyone else did. "Need any help?"

"Huh?" My father repsonded, his brows furrowed together in deep concentration.

He was currently trying to shut his suitcase. What he didn't realise however, was that he would need to rearrange his items, before it would eventually close over with ease.

"Oh, with this you mean. No. I'll get it to shut one way or another." He repsonded, sternly.

I rolled my eyes, unwilling to argue with him. And as he struggled on, I decided to change the subject. "Listen, dad. I want to thank you for visiting."

Apparently, this wasn't enough to get him to stop fiddling with the zip and so, I continued.

"I know it didn't go exactly according to plan, but I appreciate the effort."

There was a few 'hmms' and 'mhms' that he uttered, but nothing substantial.

"Well, it was worth a try. Have a safe flight home. I love you." I said, walking away.

"Blake." My father spoke, just as I had reached the door.

"Hmm?" I answered, turning around to face him.

"I love you too."

-

I stood alongside Elena, Jenna and Jeremy to wave off my parents on their journey home. It felt strange, considering the last time this scenario was played out, I was the one who was leaving. All those months ago in New York, when I had stepped onto the plane at Kennedy Airport, now felt like a lifetime ago. I hadn't ever considered the fact that maybe it was.

"Bye, safe journey home!" Jenna called, as the car pulled out of the drive.

"Later!" Jeremy called.

"Take care!" Elena chirped, waving graciously.

I smiled, when I met with my mother's gaze and waved them off until they could no longer be seen driving along the tall, tree lined road.

In need of a rest, I walked back upstairs towards my bedroom, making a mental note to call Damon and thank him for last night. Just as I opened the door, I was taken aback by a package which sat on my bed.

Walking closer, I noticed a letter, scribbled in my mother's handwriting that read:

'I'm sorry we didn't get a real chance to talk. I promise everything will make sense soon. Have a very happy 18th birthday, Blake. Lots of love, Mom xx'
♠ ♠ ♠
I have not and will not give up on this story. That, is a promise.

Thank you to those of you who continue to subscribe.

This is for you guys. <3

- D xo