Status: Being Written and Edited as we speak ;)

Created

Created (Chpt. 11)

Chapter Eleven

"So, how is this?" Melissa asked, holding the door open to a small guest bedroom. I peered inside. It was small, but cute-even though the bedroom set looked expensive, it was more modest and quiet. The walls were a soft shade of green and an amouire sat on one wall with the bed opposite it. A walk-in closet by the bed helped to finish the room off. I walked in and instantly felt at home. I absolutely loved it. Carefully, I stroked the white doorframe and placed my hand on the wall as I walked in. It smelled faintly of perfume and it was comforting. I dropped onto the bed and smiled as I bounced a little. It was perfect. I could most definitely close my eyes and imagine myself being happy here. I already felt relaxed.
"It's absolutely perfect!!! Is it mine?" I asked.
"Yes," Melissa responded cheerfully and, exhausted, I closed my eyes and smiled.
"Wonderful!! Its just right, Melissa, thank you," I smiled weakly in her direction, too tired to care how half-hearted it probably sounded. Thankfully, Melissa seemed to understand.
"Do you want to sleep now?" She asked and I nodded gratefully. It had been a long and exausting day. "Alright, well my room's just across the hall and Adam's is next to mine. He'll stay in the rec room, though. I'm afraid to move him, don't want to hurt him." Melissa added and I could see the worry for him in her eyes. She really cared about him. I felt my tired spirits falling as I realized how wonderful they seemed to fit together. They were so... Perfect. They made a really sweet couple and I admonished myself on not seeing it before now. Adrenaline-fueled jealousy made my hands clench and my face flush, but Melissa conviently didn't notice. Thank the heavens. "I'm gonna go to bed, 'kay?" She said, bringing me back from my thoughts.
"'Kay," I said, already pulling the sheets down from my bed. "Don't let the bed bugs bite," I added jokingly.
"Yeah," Melissa responded from the doorway. "You too," I could hear the fond smile in her voice as she turned and left for her room. Ready to forget about Adam and Melissa together, I closed my eyes sadly and let myself slip into a tormented sleep.
* * *
'I didnt know where I was, but I could only see a few feet in front of me though the ominous darkness. And even seeing that much was all thanks to a faint glow shining from some place unknown on me only. Eerie chills ran down my spine as I rubbed my arms in a effort to warm myself and I swallowed nervously. The silence was deafening. Where was I? What happened to my warm bed? It seemed I stood there in the dark and the cold forever before something happened. And when it happened, I wished I was still alone.
Assassins stepped out of the darkness, surrounding me on all sides. My breath caught in my throat and I couldn't seem to make a noise beyond frightened squeaks. Where did they come from?! I knew better than to try and fight them, but running was out of the picture as well. One step forward and I met a cold, metal wall of Assassin. So instead, I chose the last option available to me-I cowered. The more and more Assassins that began to tighten the circle, the lower I crouched, covering my head in fear as tears began to fall from my eyes. Where was I? Why were the Assassins after me? Where was Adam?
"Yes, yes... No, I don't care what the Board says, this is what I say," came a familiar voice from somewhere to my right. I looked over my arms as they covered my head and through the occational small crack in the Assassin wall to see Nurse Weedman's profile. She stood under a bright white spotlight, one arm crossed over a clipboard she was holding, the other hand on her mic, pulling it closer to her mouth. "No, I told you, the Board is wrong. Listen to me, I'm the real authority," she said firmly. I was so relieved I almost laughed.
"Nurse Weedman!!" I cried, taking a chance and standing, trying to see over the Assassins now. "Nurse Weedman, help me!!" But whoever was on the other end of her conversation began getting angry, and so did Nurse Weedman. She turned away from me, shouting about the Board. Frantic now, I scrambled to get to her, shouting, but when I ran, I didn't move. I looked down, appalled, at my feet, which seemed frozen to the ground no matter what I did. I watched Nurse Weedman walk out of the spot of light and into the dark. I could hear her voice and my only hope fading off into the distance. The Assassins were closing in tighter now and I was really losing hope when they all froze. Every Assassin surrounding me stopped mid-step and didn't move. I was curious, but also grateful. Maybe now I could get away?
"Claire," I heard Adam now behind me. My hero! I turned to him, noticing that he looked sorrowful. His shoulders slumped and he looked like he had in the hospital; half dead. "You were right. I have to stand up and fight them. I have to be strong." Then, as if on Adam's cue, the killer robots began to move again, but this time, Adam was ready. He dove into the mass and began gracefully dancing around, touching each Assassin's neck. With one touch, the whole robot's image would shimmer and vanish. And soon, there were none left, but I still couldn't see Adam. I turned in circles, searching for him. Finally, I saw him step out of the black. His head hung and he walked stiffly.
"A-Adam?" I took a cautious step towards him and his head flicked up. I caught his eyes-and they were silver metal. No longer the beautiful green colour I knew, but metal like the Assassin's bodies. I gasped and stepped back, appalled to see the eyes I had once loved so much turned so cold and hard. None of Adam's gentle shyness was there anymore-instead all I could see was unfeeling and robot-like. It scared me. I wanted his soft, sweet green back! The colour of his eyes had once held me transfixed at their beauty and now they were so cold... Fear stabbed at my heart. This wasn't my Adam.
"I haven't completely defeated them, Claire," Adam told me in a mechanical version of his own voice and I took another step away in fear. What was this?! "I cannot defeat what I truly am," Adam said darkly.
"But... Why?" I whispered, tears brimming in my eyes.
"Because I am one of them," he said-then lunged for my throat!! I screamed and tried to leap aside, tears running down my cheeks. But then, I watched Adam freeze just inches from reaching me, reminding me again of the Assassins. Now it was his turn for his image to flicker and snap out of view, leaving me alone. But, unfortunately, not for long. Now I was confronted by the image of Arta. She stood across the lighted spot from me, arms crossed, smug smirk on her beautiful face. She held herself tall and looked confident. She sneered down at me disapprovingly and turned her nose up in disgust.
"You know too much," she spat at me and began to walk towards me. I knew that whatever she was going to do would be ten times worse than what I'd just seen. I began to back up, feeling my heart jump to my throat, but Arta kept coming.
"Claire," she whispered menacingly. "Claire. Claire. Claire! Claire!"'
"Claire! Wake up, c'mon, I made breakfast special, won't you wake up? Claire! Claaaaire!" I opened my eyes slowly to see Melissa above me, grasping my shoulder and shaking me gently. When she saw that I was awake, she threw her hands in the air and laughed. "She lives! Hey, Adam and I are gonna be in the kitchen, it's just down the hallway. I'll leave you to get ready, 'kay?" replied Melissa as she left.
I groaned, rubbing the sleep from my eyes as I sat up and glanced at the clock. Eight-thirty! I had slept in longer than usual. Slowly, I began to drag myself out of bed, realizing I'd fallen asleep in my nurse's uniform and now it was wrinkled! How awful! I laughed at myself a bit. I was so OCD for neatness and order, and couldn't even stand a wrinkled uniform. But then again, who could? It made me look unprofessional, one thing I really couldn't stand. I groggily searched for a hairbrush to comb the knots out of my hair as I tried to straighten my uniform. I wondered when I could go back home to change. Would I get back home? Swallowing, I pushed back that ominous thought and tried to focus on the task at hand. Making myself look somewhat good. Finally, standing in front of a fullsized mirror hanging by the door, I combed my messy curls back into place and attempted to straighten the wrinkles out of my uniform. Deeming myself as presentable as I could be (with the given circumstances) I left for the kitchen.
The first thing I noticed was that the kitchen was large. I walked through the glass double doors and onto the soft, polished dark wood floor. A few feet away from the door was a rectangular glass table. Melissa and Adam sat in the chairs closest to the door. Over head hung an intricate crystal chandelier. The whole room was lit by a thick glass wall across the room that let in the light of the half-risen sun, even though I noticed the chandelier had been fit with electric lights. To my right was a long marble counter with bar stools. And, surprise, surprise, even more windows. Erik was obviously not big on secrets, or electric lights.
"Good morning, Claire," Adam said from the table. I couldn't help but look over and smile at him. How cheerful he looked this morning!
"It's good to see you feeling better," I told him and took a seat next to Melissa, where sat a full plate of waffles. They smelled great, and looked even better. I could feel my mouth watering already. Carefully, I cut out a small square, drenched in melt-y butter and syrup just the way I like it, and took a bite. They were the best waffles I'd ever eaten.
"Do you like them?" Adam asked anxiously from across the table. "I made them myself." A bit surprised, I swallowed and turned to Melissa.
"I thought you said you made them?" I exclaimed, watch as Melissa laughed guiltily.
"Well, no," she admitted. "Adam made them. But I don't want to look like I'm a bad host, and I especially don't want to make the sick patient cook when he should have been resting!!"
"I like cooking," Adam protested.
"And you do it spendidly," Melissa added as she took another bite of her waffles. Adam smiled and rolled his eyes. I watched this somewhat sadly. They were perfect best friends, or even lovers. I was definitely a third wheel. Awkwardly, I took another bite of Adam's flawless waffles and moped.
"What do you think, Claire?" Adam asked me and I looked up, drawn away from my thoughts.
"What?"
"He said 'Do you like waffles or pancakes?'," Melissa clarified. Inevitably, the 'Do You Like Waffles' song began to play in my head, but I was bound to ignore it.
"I, uh, I guess whatever one Adam's making," I said. Adam grinned, flattered.
"I usually make waffles," he said. He was tickled pink. I smiled at him.
"Well then, I guess waffles are my favorite."
"Omigosh," Melissa gushed. "You two would be the ca-yuuutest together!!!" Melissa squealed. Adam's eyes widened innocently and I looked, confused, between them.
"I-I thought you two were dating!" I cried out. It was silent for a very awkward moment as Adam and Melissa looked at eachother. Then, to my surprise, they both burst out laughing.
"Us? Together?!" Melissa finally managed to say through her laughter.
"Well, I mean, you guys just seemed so perfect together, I just kinda figured...," I replied sheepishly.
"Claire, don't assume things too soon!" Adam exclaimed. He was smiling, amused at my blunder. "Melissa and I are just really cloes friends!" Then his smile fell slowly and I could see something dawn in his eyes. He'd found an opportunity to ask what had been bothering him. "And speaking of best friends... Melissa, where is Erik?" This time, instead of looking away, Melissa looked straight into Adam's eyes, her own filled with sorrow. She was still wringing her hands, though, nervously. She was trying to figure out how to break it to him slowly.
"It was Arta," she said quietly and I watched as Adam stiffened.
"What about Arta?" he asked.
"After you ran away, she went ballistic. She told Erik that he would help her make the Assassins and get you back or... or..." At this point, Melissa was too choked up to speak She put her face in her hands and sobbed. She never finished Arta's threat, but she didn't have to. It was expressed through her violent tears. Adam was dumbfounded. He stared forward, mouth slightly open, appalled.
"No..." he muttered. "No way. He can't be dead... He can't be! HE CAN'T BE!!" Adam cried across the table at Melissa. She only shook her head and cried more. Suddenly the beautiful kitchen and the cheery sun peeking up over the mountains in the window seemed awkwardly out of place. Erik was dead. Things shouldn't look happy when someone died. I remembered when my father had died. The day had been appropriately bleak and grey. The world was bleak and grey with him to cheer me. Rain clouds hung in the sky, as if waiting to join the funeral procession. It had rained while we buried him, but I didn't care. The rain had masked my tears. It shouldn't be so cheery outside. It should be like that day, four years ago.
Adam stood and looked between me and Melissa. He was seemed almost in denial. He wanted to believe Melissa was lying. So did I. But with what I knew about Arta, it seemed very likely that Erik wasn't faring well. Adam seemed to have come to this conclusion as well. I could see the despair in his face and I wondered if my face had held the same look of disbelief and shock when they told me about my father. I'll be it did. I hadn't wanted to believe, either.
"Melissa!!" Adam cried again and her head snapped up. She was still crying. "Did you see what happened?! Are you sure he's dead?!?! Did you see?!" He cried out, grief spelled out painfully in his eyes.
"Y-Yes!!" Melissa cried. "I saw everything and h-he... Oh!!!!" she stopped speaking, erupting into tears. Adam was shaking his head slowly, still not believing.
"Erik, he... No. No," Adam stood and swallowed. "This isn't right, this wasn't supposed to happen! This isn't her style, she doesn't just kill someone!"
"She did," Melissa whispered, but I don't think Adam heard. I was glad he didn't. Instead, I watched him clench his fists and swallow harder. He was breathing fast, deep hard breaths.
"I don't believe it. He has to be alive, he just HAS TO BE!!!" Adam's growing volume scared me and I jumped when he began shouting, his anger growing out of proportion. I gasped as remnants of last nights dream returned to me. This anger was not of my Adam, not my sweet, loving Adam. This was the anger of the Adam in my dreams, the one who didn't hesitate to reach for my throat. This was not the Adam I'd come to know and... Maybe love?
"Adam...," I whispered, upset at his pain. Getting caught up in the horror of it all, I was near tears.
"I-I have to go!" Adam cried, his body shaking. His face was a mask of pure anguish. I felt his pain and wanted to reach out to him, but fear held me back. How would he recieve me? Would he want me? "I have to get to the lab, I have to help him!!"
"You can't, Adam! She'll-She'll," Melissa choked. "She'll kill you, too!! Please, please stay, Adam! I can't lose you, too, I just can't!!"
"But I can't leave him!" Adam responded desperately. "I can't! I owe everything to Erik! He is my best friend!"
"Oh, Adam!" Melissa shook her head sadly, whispering sorrowfully. Her voice wavered through her tears and I felt utterly useless once again. Couldn't I help? Couldn't I comfort them? I'd always been terrible when dealing with people, always. I remembered my father once again. He was such a people person. He always knew just what to say to make it better. I wanted to be like him. I wanted to make it better for my new and only friends. But how could I when I knew I'd say something wrong?
"I-I... Can't leave him...," Adam whispered, his voice frail and quiet. Then, before I knew what I was doing, I jumped up and threw my arms around him. He collapsed weakly into my arms, breaking into sobs. I held him tightly, my own tears threatening to spill, but I had to be strong. I had to be strong for Adam. I would be there for him. I would help him and comfort him. I squeezed him tighter, trying to tell him it was alright. For now, he could cry and be weak. I would be strong for him.
♠ ♠ ♠
Pheew!! *wipes forehead* This one was a difficult one! Before this chapter, I could have truthfully said I haven't had writers block in years. Then Chapter Eleven broke that beautiful record. There, my friends, is my excuse for not posting in YEAAARS! But I have a lot more to post (once editing is over) so be prepared!!!! This month will be chock-full of Created chapters!! -Otaku