Status: Being Written and Edited as we speak ;)

Created

Created (Chpt. 19)

Chapter Nineteen
"I had the chicken noodle soup," I spoke up to the waitress and she placed the bowl in front of me.
"So I suppose the French Onion is yours?" The woman asked and set down a bowl in front of Erik. I raised an eyebrow at him.
"French Onion? You always get Miso Soup!" I said suspiciously. "Who are you and what have you done with Erik?!" Erik laughed at that and rang bells in my heart.
"I just thought I'd try something different this time. Maybe I'll like it!" Erik said as he lifted his spoon. I watched carefully as he sipped his first taste of French Onion soup, but his face portrayed no emotion. Finally, after he had swallowed and said nothing to me, I spoke up.
"Well...," I prompted him."How do you like 'something different', Erik?"
"It's really hot," he said and grabbed for his glass of Dr. Pepper. "And it tastes like onion. A lot of onion." I laughed.
"Well, duh! It is French Onion soup!" I rolled my eyes at him. "But whats the verdict, judge? French Onion or Miso?"
"Oh golly," Erik laughed. "I was stupid to change!! Miso soup all the way!"
"Theres the Erik I know!" I leaned over with my spoon and took a sip from his bowl. "Now, what are you talking about?! This soup is great!" I teased. It was true, the soup was prepared just fine. But Erik, though usually not picky, wasn't one for onion. If it wasn't sweet or junk food-y, he wasn't going to be found eating it. Even Miso soup wasn't his favorite, but what soup was to his liking?
"Ha!" Erik laughed and leaned back again, looking comfortable. "You're crazy, Melissa." Pretending to pout, I stuck my tongue out at him and leaned in, resting my chin in my cupped hands. "But that's what I love about you," he added. What?! What he loved about me?! What could that mean?!
But instead of being stupid and trying to think it through further, which could only end in heartbreak, I decided to brush off his comment and simply smile. Which pleased Erik, so he went back to eating his soup and making comical faces of disgust.
"Never again," Erik shook his head at the soup bowl below him. "Never again, Lissa!" I giggled.
"I'll remind you when you forget next time," I rolled my eyes playfully. Erik only smiled and looked off to the distance. I had the feeling he hadn't heard what I'd said.
"Melissa," Erik said meaningfully and suddenly, I was paying rapt attention to him. Could he be preparing to confess his love for me?! Or am I really as crazy as he says? "Melissa, you're my best friend, I just want you to know that." Well... Well, that was good, too... "I mean," Erik put his spoon down and ran his tongue over his lips thoughtfully. "You're always here for me. And you know, I haven't thought about you-know-who for the past hour!" And neither had I 'til you brought her up, Erik! Who needed to think of the Voldemort of science and love, my arch-enemy who barely acknowledged my existance. Who needed to think of her?!
"I'll always be here for you, Erik," I smiled reassuringly, but behind my grin, there were burning fires-my love for Erik and my hatred for the now-brought-up Arta. "And you're my best friend, too." But if only you were more than that...
* **
Once Arta stopped crying, she pulled away from me, put on a mask of seriousness, and acted like nothing happened, so I played along to help her save face. But I knew exactly what happened.
Arta squeezed me tightly, begging for comfort. I could feel her long, perfeectly painted red nails digging into my back, but it didn't matter because she was warm and smelled like roses and was actually in my arms. So I squeezed her back and tried to comfort her like she needed me to.
"C'mon," I muttered to Arta as I held her and reached up to hesitantly stroke her hair in an effort to be comforting. "Don't cry, it's alright. I'm here, I'm here for you."
"Stay with me," Arta begged. "Please!!" My heart broke when I heard her words, and I held her closer.
"Of course. I'll always stay with you," I tried to convince her and took in a deep breath. "I promise."
"Thank you," Arta cried, burying her face in my t-shirt. "Thank you so much, Adam."
But now she was standing on her own two feet, eyes totally dry and lab coat adorned. But this time, it wasn't buttoned all the way up to her neck. The perfection-white coat hung completely open, exposing the low-cut black shirt she wore. I couldn't help but notice how the colour black made her eyes look stunning and I wanted to say so, but wouldn't that be awkward? Maybe... Maybe later on.
"I'm going to head back downstairs. See if Erik and Melissa are back, if you're alright with that," I spoke up.
"Where did Erik and Melissa go?" Arta asked, leaning back as she sat on the table and flipped her long blonde hair. For a second, I was completely distracted. Her hair was utterly gorgeous and sparkled under the flourescent lights above. And somehow, by some divine grace, not even the tips of her hair touched the chemicals beneath. It was utter magic.
"I-uh," I stuttered for a moment, distracted by her completely innocent hair-flip. Quickly, I tried to pull myself together. "Th-They went out for soup. I'd imagine they'd be back now." Thoughtfully, Arta nodded.
"Yeah, probably. What room are you staying in? If you aren't already settled...," Here, Arta hesitated a bit, but then regained her natural confidence and straightened up a bit, as if remembering exactly who she was. "If you aren't already settled, theres an empty room across from my suite. I'd love to see you there." The stunning smile she gave me sealed the deal-I'd take that room.
"S-Sure, yeah. Yeah, I'll sleep there, definitely," I stammered embarressingly and Arta's smile grew wider. This was what she wanted?
"Great. Go get some sleep and maybe tomorrow, I'll take you out to see the sights. Chicago's amazing," she added and excitedly, I nodded.
"That'd be brilliant," I laughed a bit. It seemed all my previous worries of her not liking me had been just that-worries. Nothing to be truly afraid of. She made me so happy. This was perfect! But as I walked out towards the elevator, hoping I remembered how to use it, Arta's voice called to me again.
"Next time, be sure to bring shoes, Adam," Arta laughed. Awkwardly, I looked down and remembered that, no, I wasn't wearing shoes. Oh gal. "Just 'cause, well, the tiles get kind of cold sometimes," she added. "I wouldn't want you to be cold." No, no, it was just the opposite!!
"Don't worry," I heard myself saying. "When I see you, I feel warm." Surprise was evident on Arta's face, but it was soon replaced by delight and amusement. For once, I got the feeling that she didn't know what to say. Looking truly flattered, she glanced down towards the floor and tucked a peice of her hair behind her ear.
"G-Go get some sleep," she said, but the large, joyful smile on her face told me that she just didn't know how to respond. Unable to stop grinning, I opened the elevator doors and stepped inside, my stomach fluttering with happiness. Could she be any more perfect?