Status: Being Written and Edited as we speak ;)

Created

Created (Chpt. 20)

Chapter Twenty
The guest bedroom across from Arta's suite was definitely more comfortable than Erik's overstuffed couch in the basement. Especially with the knowledge that Arta was just in the next room, maybe thinking about me?
It was easy to move in sinse, obviously, I didn't really own much. Actually... I owned nothing. Even my clothes I borrowed from Erik, and it was just a bit awkward because I was taller than him, so his jeans didn't quite fit. Melissa promised me she'd take me shopping, but once she became distracted, Erik leaned in to me and whispered that shopping with Melissa was like hanging yourself-and maxing out your credit card at the same time. So I'd avoided going so far, but I couldn't hide forever-in Erik's clothes. I'd need my own eventually, even if it did murder his Masters card.
But for now, I'd just grab something from Erik's (thanks to Melissa) full wardrobe and make do. Erik's suite was a hallway down from mine, on the second floor like all the bedrooms. Melissa's suite was next to his, but she hardly spent time there. I always saw her with Erik-sitting with him in front of his television, hanging out with him in the kitchen, or, needless to say, helping out in the lab. But, yes, Melissa had a room and it was actually quite cute. She and Erik had, she told me, painted it a few years back. It was striped with different shades of pink and light green on the walls and had matching furniture. It was obvious they'd spent time and money on designing it, whereas, Erik's room was a forever-unfinished mess of all the garage sale/couture junk that he couldn't bare to part with. Call me judgemental, but Erik was a master pack rat.
Erik's bedroom was huge. A king-size bed big enough for three of him sat against the right wall, across from a thick rug that was usually too covered with his crap to notice. And to his delight, the whole wall right across from the door was window. He rarely kept the curtains closed because he loved the sunlight and the city view too much to cover it up. An addition of one more room sat hidden behind a door on the other side of Erik's bed.
None of the furniture matched and the bedroom was never clean. But maybe Melissa would help Erik with his designing skills later on. If he would let her.
My bedroom was chrome-based. It was simply a guest bedroom, but Arta's modern style was apparent in the design. I like it just fine and plus, it was the closest to Arta's suite.
I hoped that today, Arta could show me Chicago like she had offered last night. I had only been here a few days, but I had no idea what here was. Erik told me that Chicago was a large city. Everything after that was too confusing and I didn't remember. But I knew as Erik explained it (with Melissa nodding enthusiastically after him) that it all made me feel impossibly small.
Trying to be quiet in case the rest of the building (meaning Arta and Melissa) was still asleep, I made my way to Erik's room at eight-thirty AM to borrow another pair of clothes.
Carefully, I knocked on the door.
"Erik," I called quietly. "Um, are you awake? This is incredibly awkward! Please be awake!" I was totally uncomfortable being awake and about so early and disturbing the peace. I hoped desparately that he'd come to the door.
"Just come in," came a muffled reply and I pushed open the door. Erik's room was just as trashed and messy as usual. Clothes books and just junk covered the dark wood floor, which was to be expected. Erik could never put anything away correctly, and then could never find what he was looking for, thus-his messy room. Erik himself lay sprawled starfish-style face-down on his huge bed. He'd kicked off all his sheets and was still wearing the jeans and t-shirt from the night before. Cautiously, I kicked a few cookie boxes out of my path and danced my way through the junk towards Erik's bed.
"Erik?" Awkwardly, I leaned over the mammoth mattress and poked his face. If he was awake enough to shout to me outside the door, couldn't he get up? Or at least open his eyes? I had found in the past few days I had been alive that I was what Melissa called an 'early bird'. I'm an early riser, that's all. Truth was, I loved sunsets. The colours dazzled me-it was worth getting up for. "Um, Erik? I need to borrow another outfit? A-Are you alive?"
"Meeeeh," Erik groaned. He still wouldn't open his eyes. "Just get into my closet. Grab something. Five more minutes...," I leaned back to let Erik sleep and walked over to his armoir across the room. I was about to open it when a thought occurred to me.
"Erik?" I called, feeling bad about waking him again. "If I open this dresser, will I get hit with an avalanche of your clothing?"
"I dunno," came the muffled reply. Did he even hear the question? So, fearfully, I turned back to the closet to face it alone. And, yes, I got out alive. When the doors opened, only a few random t-shirts fell, thank the good heavens. I grabbed the first pair of jeans I saw, snatched up a grey shirt and decided to hit the road and let Erik get his beauty sleep.
But then, contrary to my plans to let my friend sleep in, the door was flung open, letting in an excited and energetic Melissa.
"Eriiik!" She sang, bouncing into the room loudly and flinging herself onto Erik's bed. "Wake-y, wake-y!! It's morning time and I'm putting in toaster waffles!!"
"Melissa Susan Cooper," Erik groaned, trying to sound menacing. I hope he knew that he didn't sound as threatening as he wanted to. Melissa only laughed and made a face, feigning anger to match his.
"Erik Marron Moore, you get out of bed this instant! Or...," Melissa paused, thinking. "Or I'll throw cold water on your head!"
"Ah, Adam!" came Arta's voice from the doorway as she stepped inside. "I was looking for you."
"Gal," Erik cried loudly from his bed. "Is it a freaking party in here?! In case no one's noticed, I'm trying to sleep!"
"Sorry," I said guiltily and Erik took a deep breath. He rolled over and sat up, rubbing his eyes.
"No, no, Adam, it's not your fault. Sorry, I just kinda got... Annoyed. You guys can party in here, whatever!" Erik, standing now, laughed and, just like I had expected, let it all roll off his back. Good 'ole Erik.
"Ahem," Arta coughed pointedly and put a hand on her hip, annoyed. "No offence, but Adam and I have partying to do elsewhere. The city waits for no man."
"That's not the quote," Melissa snapped coldly, turning quickly from her friendly, bubbly self into someone I really didn't know. Shocked, I couldn't seem to tear my eyes away from the hatred on her face, directed at Arta. What happened?! Arta glanced over with an also unfamiliar look of distain and irritation at Melissa and haughtily rolled her eyes. Where were the people I knew and why were they suddenly so hateful?!
Uncomfortable with the sudden tension in the room, I swallowed and rubbed the blue jean fabric I held with my thumb. I noticed Erik next to Melissa wet his lips, feeling awkward as well. And, wanting to be a mediator but feeling uncomfortable, Erik took a deep breath and swallowed.
"Weeeeell," he broke the silence with more courage than I had as Melissa and Arta exchanged their cold glares. "Uh, y-you and Adam are leaving, then?" Arta broke her death stare with Melissa to smile smugly and respond.
"Yeah," Arta said and brushed her hair over her shoulder. "I was going to show Adam Chicago. The Sears Tower. Navy Pier. You know, the sights." Arta turned her stunning smile to me and for a second, I had trouble breathing. "It'll be fun!"
"I'd better come with you," Melissa stepped forward and I caught the mean smile she tossed to Arta. "Adam needs more clothes, eh, Adam?" Arta rolled her eyes at Melissa again. Now I'm just guessing here, but I got the feeling that Arta and Melissa weren't exactly 'best friends forever'. What was this hatred?
"Can't you go some other time, Melissa?" Arta asked, her irritation obvious.
"And waste the perfect opportunity?! Never," Melissa replied defiantly. "Surely there's enough room for one more in your schedule, Arta?"
"I wouldn't want you to feel like a third wheel or something," Arta shot back.
"Okaaaay!!" Erik cried loudly, breaking in again before the two girls could attack each other. "It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye! Can we all be civil? Please?" Still seething, the girls folded their arms and looked away, immaturely refusing to look one another in the eye. "Well, that's an improvement," Erik sighed, disappointed. "Not a big improvement, but improvement none the less. Now, everybody out. I need to change and you all need to head out! I'll see you all when you get back, bye!" And with that, Erik hastily shoved us all out the door, but I noticed him quickly whispering in Melissa's ear before she left. They both glanced over at me, and then acted like nothing happened. Oh, great. Secrets.
It was about this time that I really noticed Arta. She was wearing a loose purple blouse that hung off one shoulder. Under this was a small black miniskirt that, quite honestly, didn't cover much. She also wore fancy black boots that accented the skirt. But I couldn't stare in awe for long because I heard my name and looked up for the voice.
"So, Adam," Melissa elbowed me gently, a friendly, familiar smile on her face. "Are we still on for toaster waffles?"
"Toaster waffles?!" Arta scoffed. "I'm taking him out for the fanciest breakfast Erik has the money to buy!"
"Pssh," Melissa rolled her eyes. "At least I use my own money and don't mooch off my friends!"
"Ha!" Arta laughed mockingly. I noticed arrogance in her eyes I hadn't seen before and shivered a little. "And let's see how well that's working out for you. You buy off-brand toaster waffles, while we dine on the good stuff! Erik doesn't even care, Melissa. He has so much money, he doesn't notice when he loses a few hundred! It's nothing!"
"Hundred?!" Melissa screeched, outraged. "What have you been buying?!"
"Can you two stop fighting?" I begged, starting to get annoyed. "For five minutes?! Just so I don't go insane, please." Both girls looked over at me and I saw the instant realization hit them about just how awful they'd been acting. Melissa swallowed and looked down at her sneakers, guiltily wringing her hands. Arta took a deep breath to calm herself and, feeling bad, twirled a strand of her hair on her finger.
"Adam's right," Melissa offered sheepishly, turning to Arta. "I-I'm sorry." For a second, Arta looked hesitant to apologize, but glanced at me and gave in.
"I'm sorry, too, Melissa," Arta replied, looking into Melissa's face sincerely. "Forgive me?" I knew Melissa and I recognized the look of pain she hid behind a smile as she said; "Of course I forgive you, Arta." Was she feeling honest physical pain after apologizing?!
"So, you wanted... Waffles, Melissa?" Arta asked and I could tell she was choking on her words. Would it literally kill them to be polite?
"Yeah, b-but I'll do whatever," came Melissa's pained response. Well... Like Erik said, it was improvement.
I wondered what had driven Melissa and Arta to such hatred and doubted that I could ever hate someone that much. I'd never seen anything of the like in them and frankly, it scared me. Did I really want to know the story behind this feud? Maybe I could ask one of them today in private and see?
While I had been lost in my thoughts, Melissa and Arta had, as civily as they could muster, decided on going out for breakfast.
"I'm so excited to show you everything," Arta said cheerfully and came up from behind to slip her arm in mine. "The Windy City-the best in the world!"
"You think so?" I asked to make conversation, smiling down at her. I couldn't help but notice how radiant her whole face looked when she smiled, but this smile wasn't full and totally happy like I'd seen last night. That smile of pure and rare joy that I longed to see again. But it was still a smile, so I let it make me happy as well and grinned back.
"How about that bagel shop?" Melissa suggested, sliding up on the other side. "It's not a long walk from the lab and it's tasty! Erik and I go there all the time!"
"I think it sounds good," I smiled at Melissa. "What do you think, Arta?"
"Sure," she said casually. "But I call the seat next to Adam!"
"I-" I stuttered stupidly for a moment. "Y-You want to sit next to me?" Wow! Oh my gosh, she likes me!
"Oh, Adam," Arta chuckled. "You make me laugh."
"I do?" Suddenly nervous, I looked down, searching Arta's gorgeous eyes for an answer.
"Yes!" She responded sincerely. "I really want to sit with you!" And then, Arta stood up on her toes and kissed me on the cheek.
Woah.
Hold the phone.
Arta... Kissed me?
The rest of the world kept going on it's merry little way, and I think I kept walking, but mentally, I froze. I felt like ever switch in my body was on 'off'. The shock paralyzed my mind, but not for long, because now, my thoughts were racing faster than light.
Omigoshomigoshomigosh. She kissed me!! I was utterly over the moon. This meant she loved me! Melissa said girls only kissed guys they love and she kissed me! Could I kiss her? Oh, how I wanted to. Seeing her hand always sent shocks of excitement through me, but that was nothing in comparison to the undescribable glee I felt now.
"Okay, Adam," Arta's beautiful voice reached my dreaming mind and I looked over to her. "This is your first time actually seeing Chicago!"
"Ready?" Melissa asked, smiling. Finally, I looked up and noticed the girls had led me, unaware that I had been lost in thought, to the front of the lab.We now stood in front of the glass double front doors. I could see the city streets and the light streamed in, lighting up the foyer. Grinning and excited, I laughed a little.
"Yeah," I responded. "Lets go!"
"Huzzah!" Melissa laughed and held doors open so Arta and I could walk through, though I'm pretty sure she hit Arta with the door on purpose.
"Mmm," Arta breathed in deeply. "Smell that city air!" Following Arta's example, I took in a deep breath-and choked on the exaust.
"Woah," Melissa cried, laughing a little after hitting me on the back enough that I stopped hacking and could breathe again, but this time, more carefully. "Okay, this is a city. Not that deep a breath!"
"Are you alright?" Arta asked, looking up directly into my eyes with sincere concern that touched my heart. She was so sweet!
"Yeah, yeah, I'm better now," I mustered a smile. Gosh... Never breathing that deep out here again! It smelled awful! But, luckily, Arta made everything better. 'Oh wow,' I thought. 'She's so... Perfect.'
"Good," she said and took my hand.
"Cough, cough," Melissa broke through. I detected the hint of annoyance in her voice. "Um, excuse me, love birds, but we have places to be. People to meet. Credit cards to blow."
"Who's credit card, Melissa?" Arta asked, sounding falsely innocent and again, a totally different person from the one who just kissed me.
"I-It's different!" Melissa stammered, caught in her hypocrisy. "Erik told me I could! Plus, it's not even stuff for me! It's clothes for Adam!" A look of confusion crossed Arta's lovely features.
"Clothes for... Adam?" She asked, suddenly looking delighted. "We're going to shop for Adam?" Should I be afraid? Melissa mirrored Arta's excitement and finally, they weren't fighting but agreeing. I would be happy for them if it didn't mean a shopping trip. Honestly, clothes did not sound like an amusing way to pass the time.
"Let's go straight there!" Arta cried excitedly to Melissa, who was quick to agree.
"B-But what about breakfast?" I stammered, but my plea went unheard by the excited girls. Oh, no...
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm so excited!! Chapter 20! *thinks; I'm that much closer to beating Abi!!* *cough cough* I mean...
But anyway, I hope you enjoy this chapter! I spent extra hard work on it! :D And plus, you may have noticed... I learned how to use those italic things on here!! So... Go read it!!! -Otaku