Status: One-shot. Complete. Won 1st place!

The Change Is Good

1/1.

“And that is how we do it!” Alex cheered.

I whooped in agreement with the rest of the team, clapping him on the back as we headed into the locker rooms. You see, we’ve just finished football practice and finally managed to perfect our newest play and, considering we have a game against our rival school in two weeks, we really needed to get it right. Alex is Quarterback and I’m Running Back, so we’re even more stoked than the rest of the team to have perfected our passion.

“We are going to tear The Tigers to shreds,” our center guard Matt, grinned a little too cheerfully.

“I hear you Flyzik,” Rian, the cornerback, laughed.

I’ve never been more relieved to have a shower. My muscles are knotted and sore, and I know I’m going to ache tomorrow morning. But at least we got the play right, right? I took my place next to Alex as we got dressed, smiling when he smiled at me.

“Have you seen that new kid, Jack?” he asked me, roughly drying his hair with his towel.

“Uh, that Zack guy?” I asked, confused.

“Yeah, Merrick,” Alex nodded.

"What about him?" I shrugged.

“I heard he got kicked out of his old school for beating up a teacher,” our wide receiver, Vinny smirked, joining the conversation.

I rolled my eyes as the rest of the team gravitated over. As much as I love my friends, this is one thing I hate. When there’s someone to pick on, they all gang up. I never do – I think it’s cruel.

“I heard he’s got mental problems,”
“I heard he fucked his cousin,”
“I heard he’s mute,”
“I heard he’s gay,”

I glared at Alex for his last statement.

“So what if he’s gay?” I frowned.

Alex snorted, rolling his eyes.

“I forgot you were bi. Sorry to offend you!” Alex said sarcastically.

“Maybe you guys should just lay off. This Zack kid is new and doesn’t deserve this shit,” I told them all.

A chorus of grumbles sounded, but were cut off by Alex. Fuck. He’s got that stupid smirk of his on his lips. Alex is my best friend – I know when he’s got some sort of plan forming!

“I think we should give Merrick a special welcome to the school. A special welcome courtesy of the football team,” Alex announced.

I groaned when everyone cheered. For fuck’s sake! Leave new people alone!

“And for protesting, Jack, you’re going to be center stage,” Alex said simply, leaving no room for argument.

I narrowed my eyes at my shorter friend, knowing there would be no point in attempting to stop him. If I wasn’t involved, the ‘special welcome’ would probably be a lot worse.

“You’re an asshole, you know that?” I spat.

“Comes with the charm, brah,” Alex smirked.

Four days later, Friday, I’m waiting for Zack by his locker. Alex, Rian and Flyzik had been the main contributors to the plan, with our friends Vinny, Grieco and Evan adding ideas. Basically, I have to flirt with Zack, ask him out on a coffee date, stand him up, and then have the team humiliate him. I don’t know how they’re going to humiliate him, but I know It won’t be nice. I’ve already got guilt running through my entire body – and for good reason. Zack’s the nicest guy ever. Sure, he’s quiet and keeps to himself, but he couldn’t hurt a fly. Since Alex mentioned pulling the prank on him, I’ve been trying to find out more about the boy I’m about to destroy. He’s actually in a lot of my classes, and he works out in the gym while we have practice. He also skateboards and carries a camera with him at all times. It’s kinda creepy how much I’ve found out, but there’s something about him that intrigues me. I’ve got to try to keep my emotions at bay though – I can’t have a heart with what I’m about to do to this poor guy. Eventually Zack arrives at his locker, and he looks surprised to see me.

“Zack, right?” I asked, raising an eyebrow.

“Y-Yeah,” the brunette boy nodded, biting his bottom lip.

“I’m Jack. Jack Barakat,” I introduced smoothly.

“I know who you are,” Zack blurted, before blushing slightly.

I chuckled softly, giving his body an unsubtle once-over. Bless him.

“Oh really?” I teased, smirking.

Zack just blushed a little more. I really wish I wasn’t about to hurt him. He really is too adorable to bear!

“You left this in Biology class,” I told him, handing him a notebook.

Lie. I stole the notebook from his bag while Grieco asked him a stupid question.

“Oh thanks. I didn’t even realize,” Zack said gratefully, his eyes widening.

“Not a problem. It gave me an excuse to talk to a gorgeous guy anyway,” I said innocently, turning my flirt on.

“W-What?” Zack stuttered, his jaw dropping a little.

“You heard me,” I teased, shifting my weight so I was a little closer to him.

I hate the way he obviously thinks that because I’m the running back and he’s the new kid, I wouldn’t be attracted to him. Bullshit.

“Yeah, but I don’t believe you,” Zack said with a weak smile.

That vulnerability almost made me back out of the prank right then. But I remembered Alex’s threat of being kicked off the team if I didn’t go through with it. Fuck.

“Would meeting me for coffee make it up to you?” I asked hopefully.

“You want to have coffee with me? L-Like a date?” Zack squeaked.

Gah, so cute!

“Yeah, like a date,” I nodded, trying to keep the smile on my lips believable.

“Okay. I’d like that,” Zack said shyly.

“Great! Meet me at Gino’s at 2pm tomorrow. And don’t be late,” I grinned.

Zack nodded eagerly, smiling broadly. My heart broke a little bit, even more when I pecked a kiss to his cheek and made him blush. Now to drive to Alex’s and report that the plan’s in order. Fuck my life.

*

It’s 2pm and everything’s set up in Gino’s coffee shop. Flyzik’s mom is a costume designer, and she let us borrow outfits and make-up for today. Grieco, Vinny and Evan are dressed liked old women and have one camera hidden in a oversized handbag. Over the other side of the room, Flyzik and Alex have wigs and suits on, making them look like businessmen our dad’s age, with a camera hidden behind a newspaper. Rian actually works here, so I’m just hiding behind the counter with him. I couldn’t go ‘undercover’ like the others did, I just couldn’t. The plan is for the guys to film Zack waiting and when he figures out he’s been stood up, they’re going to reveal themselves and announce the prank. The film is to use as blackmail. Alex wants Zack to be in fear of him, it’s as simple as that.

When Zack came in, I almost died. In painted-on ripped skinny jeans, a Hurley t-shirt and sexy black wire-frame glasses, I’ve never wanted to jump anyone and have my way with them more. I didn’t even know he wore glasses! If I had known he did, I definitely would’ve pulled out of this horrible prank. You see, any guy that can pull off wearing glasses automatically gets onto my ‘want to fuck’ list, and Zack is right at the top right now. He ordered a drink from Rian and sat down, looking at his watch. Fuck, I can’t watch this. It only took half an hour of painful nothingness for Zack to realize that I wasn’t going to join him. I wanted to run out from my hiding place and apologize profusely when his eyes filled up with tears, but I was too late. Alex, Grieco, Flyzik, Vinny and Evan surrounded him and ripped off their disguises. Shoot me now.

“You really thought that Jack was going to show up? What a fucking idiot,” Evan sneered.

“I-I don’t understand,” Zack whimpered, his shoulders hunching.

“Oh it’s simple, Merrick. You’re new and need to learn your place in our school. Our little films of you getting stood up will be great for the rest of the student body to see how gullible and pathetic you are,” Grieco laughed.

“Please don’t! Please!” Zack begged, looking around the small group.

“Oh don’t beg. We hate people who beg. It only makes them look even more like a useless whiny bitch,” Flyzik taunted.

“Don’t you ever think that you’ll be of any worth in this school, you got that? Because we will make your life a living hell if you even dare to cross us,” Alex hissed.

Tears flowed from Zack’s eyes, only making them laugh. I whimpered and looked away as tears filled my eyes too. I shouldn’t have done this. I shouldn’t have done this. Rian frowned and nudged me with his foot, but I just shook my head.

“Welcome to Baltimore, bitch,” Alex smirked.

With that, Zack pushed his way out the circle and ran out of the shop. I emerged as soon as he was gone, scowling at their celebratory laughter. This was wrong.

“That was epic!” Alex sighed happily.

“No, it wasn’t,” I snapped.

Everyone looked at me in shock. Fuck.

“Excuse me?” Alex scoffed, folding his arms over his chest.

I’m not intimidated by Alex. He knows that.

“Hacking someone’s emotions like that is just bullying. You went too far, Alex. I’m done,” I said angrily.

“If you leave now, you will regret it,” Alex threatened.

“I highly doubt that,” I retorted.

With giving them a second glance, I ran out of the shop too. Fuck, which way did Zack go? Uh, I’ll try left! I jogged down the sidewalk for a good minute or so, until I heard sobbing. Please be Zack…please be Zack! Poking my head down an alleyway between an abandoned Chinese restaurant and a Laundromat, I indeed found Zack.

“Zack, I’m so sorry,” I whispered, walking up to him.

“Stay the fuck away from me!” Zack hissed, clenching his fists.

“Please, let me explain!” I begged.

“Explain what? That you and your football buddies thought it would be great fun to terrorize the new kid? I get it – all this was a joke,” Zack said angrily.

“I didn’t want to do it, I swear! Alex made me!” I insisted.

“I thought you were different. I’d heard that you weren’t like the other football players. I thought that maybe I wouldn’t be played and humiliated again. But I was wrong. You’re just like the rest of those spineless idiots,” Zack said bitterly.

“I quit the team,” I blurted.

Zack’s expression and emotions changed instantly, from a scowl and anger to a dropped jaw and shock.

“You what? W-Why?” Zack squeaked.

“Because what they…we did was wrong. I swear I didn’t want to hurt you, Zack. You are really gorgeous and you are the type of guy I would want to take out for coffee…so I quit,” I explained.

Zack said nothing.

“Look, I shouldn’t have treated you the way I did, and I wish I could take it back. But obviously I can’t and I expect you to hate me for it. I just wish I could have another chance,” I added.

Zack still said nothing. Well fuck it.

“I guess I’ll just go now. I’m sorry,” I sighed, finishing.

There’s no use continuing to rant if he doesn’t care, right? Shoving my hands in my jeans pockets, I headed out of the alleyway, only to jump when a hand spun me around. I was even more surprised when a pair of soft lips hit my own. Z-Zack was kissing me? Well I’m not going to let this opportunity go! I immediately kissed back, clutching him tight to my body as his expert lips molded with mine, sending jolts of electricity through my skin. Fuck football, this is way better. I don’t know how long we made-out in the alleyway for, but Zack eventually pulled away, breathless and with swollen lips.

“I reckon I could give you a second chance,” he grinned.
♠ ♠ ♠
That was exceedingly long...but I kinda loved it!
Hope the three prompts are spotted.
It's a bit different from one-shots I've done before, but I'm happy with it nevertheless.
Merrikat ftw!

Comments are appreciated =]
xo