I Was Just Looking For A Way Out...

Chapter 16

By now it’s night time, I can see the black starry sky; I know the feeling of the cold crisp night air, the freedom that’s just ever so close, but I can’t feel it. Rather, I’m not allowed to feel it, the outside world is an entirely different world then the one I’m in.

It’s not like the window I’m staring out of is barred or anything, mostly because it doesn’t need to be. Twelve feet from the ground and to small to wriggle a body through, not barring the window was a calculated risk upper management was willing to take.

Everything’s made for safety and functionality, comfort was just an ignored after thought. The corners of every table are rounded off, the chairs bolted to the floor, and the windows are 5 to 6 feet to high for any human being to enjoy. I know they call it being committed, but I didn’t commit to anything.

I really wish the environment bred comfort or relaxation, but instead it just makes me want to scream. I’d do it into a pillow, but I doubt the scratchy, thin, hypoallergenic sacks would absorb much sound. I’d grab a stool and turn violently destructive if they weren’t all bolted to the ground. Either way that doesn’t paint the best image towards me getting out anyway.

Despite the hundreds of thousands of safety precautions I don’t even feel safe… just empty.