I Was Just Looking For A Way Out...

Chapter 23

It’s like trying to find a gold needle in a haystack, or an opaque in a coal mine. At least that’s what I’m hoping it will be like when they try to find me.

The thing about hide and seek is; your reward for a good hiding place is just solitude. If I was trying to philosophize it, I’d make some comment about the human quest for loneliness, but what would be the point of that? It’s not like I do it, literally, all the time or anything.

And then I see ankles, the red and black checkered size 11’s they’re attached to tell me that it’s Jeremiah. It means that Emily caught him, and now he’s helping. Not to be mean, but Taylor is a pretty big lady, so I’m guessing she’s as good as caught. For a second I think about grabbing his ankle, like so many horror movies, but then he’s gone. And then he’s back, with the other two.

“We’ve checked everywhere else!” Emily says, “He has to be here.” Of course I am, under the unusually large gap under the dresser, but Jeremiah apparently doesn’t think so.

“I’m telling you, I checked.” He whines, like a kid who swears his room was clean an hour ago. Now they’re all right there, Jeremiah is actually leaning against the dresser. I hold my breath and make the split second decision before grabbing him and Emily by the ankle; she screams like my fingers were knives.

“What the hell Will!?” She shrieks. Even if he did jump like a prison bitch on rape day, Jeremiah is dying of laughter.

“Nice.” He says through burst of laughter, “That was priceless.”

“So now that it’s clear I completely win, what do you guys want to do?” I say with a faux cocky grin; one that could easily be mistaken for a real one.

“Nothing with you.” Emily says and turns to her girlfriend, “Come on!” and they leave.

“I’ll… be right back.” Jeremiah says and runs out of the room.

I guess the reward for a good hiding place was solitude… glad to know everyone likes me so much. Oh the tragedy of lost sarcasm, the art of cutting yourself down with praise, and having the irony go unnoticed.