Like a Demon

"Dex is in the hospital!"

“Four,” Drew breathed while sitting behind his drums, about to perform for the biggest crowd he had ever seen. It looked like their last two shows had been combined to create this crowd. “Three,” Mei laughed while walking past him to her mark, counting down as they usually did to calm their nerves, though this time they all just wanted to run away and hide. “Two,” Drew whimpered, bouncing on his mark, knowing that his band was counting down to their first notes.

“One.” Jayne screamed as the lights came on and the crowd screamed with her, sending her band into heavy metal frenzy as the screaming guitars and bass-lines rattled the walls, and the drums shook the floor. The smell of sweat already filled the hall, and Akuma was already dripping in their own under the hot lights. Tired from a sleepless night, and stressful morning, this was by far the hardest show they have done.

Two songs into their five song set. Three songs to go, and one was almost ten minutes long. Drew was busy keeping the audience entertained with his drum solo while his band stepped aside and got some water, trying to recover enough to perform at their best, yet again. Written in a notebook that never left the band’s possession: “Akuma Goal # 3: Make Each Show Better Than The Last!” and they were damn determined to reach that goal if it killed them.

“Mei, talk to them,” Jayne panted after their song ended, “My Japanese sucks right now.”

“I… I’m not much better!” she laughed while walking up to her mic and taking Jay’s place.

“All right! This next song is a dare by the amazing bassist of Dir en Grey. He thinks that we can’t cover their song, because every time we play “Child Prey” something goes wrong and we fail. Tonight, we are going to prove him wrong!” she announced, making the crowd roar while Drew, Dex, and Jayne recovered before their last song.

Half way through the song, Jayne messed up again and the crowd started laughing a roar of laughter. Just off stage, Toshiya was choking on his water while laughing, and on stage Drew, Dex and Mei were yelling at Jayne while she collapsed on stage in shame, trying to hide her laughter.

“I’M SORRY!” she yelled, over and over while before standing to give her farewell to the crowd. “It seems Toshiya was right… their music is still far above our capability. For the next seven days, I will be doing his laundry now.” She sighed and bowed off the stage.

Backstage, Toshiya was laughing harder than she had seen him laugh all tour; he knew he would win. “Shut your mouth, Toshiya, I may just slip and wash the reds with the whites.” She smirked and kept walking to get some water and relax while they played their set. Drew was going to stay with Ray at the side of the stage to watch them play; Ray had never missed a performance from them, and probably wouldn’t for the whole tour.

Since they had about five minutes before they went on, Kyo followed Jayne off while the others joked around with Drew and Ray, waiting for the time to come for them to go out and play again.

“Is it all right to do this?” she whispered as he gently kissed her jawbone.

“Probably not,” he smirked, “But I wanted to congratulate you on your show tonight. It was the best so far, good work.”

“So I get hugs from Toshiya, and kisses from you… I can work with that.” She smiled, wrapping her arms around his neck, “A while back Die was teasing me for being so short, and said that we were the perfect height for each other.” She laughed quietly.

He just laughed quietly and continued to kiss her until the door behind them was thrown open, and Jayne quickly jumped away from him, her face turning white as a ghost before flushing an adorable shade of red. “Kyo, we need to be on stage. We were supposed to go out two minutes ago, Toshiya is out there with Dex and Ray entertaining the audience while we look for you!” Kaoru scolded. Jayne looked down shamefully, childishly hoping that he wouldn’t see her.

“I’ll tell them that there isn’t a clock in here, and you were talking to him about Robert, or Thomas. You’re both lucky I happened to be the one to find you, and not management from either of our bands.” He sighed to her. She only nodded quietly, still keeping her head bowed and eyes down as Mei rounded the corner with Die.

“It’ll be all right, Jayne-chan, he’ll be all right.” Kyo nodded, and patted her shoulder before following Kaoru out. Die looked at her sadly before following his band members to the stage, and Mei stared her down before bursting into a fit of giggles when they were far enough away, walking into the room and closing the door.

“You just got busted by Kaoru, didn’t you?” she demanded.

“We weren’t doing anything BAD… we were just,”

“Kissing, which is more than two FRIENDS should be doing. When Robert finds out, he’s going to shit a kitten.”

“He’s not GOING to find out! If he does, he’ll kill us both! Probably Kyo first.”

“Well yeah, his rock star hands were all over you! And after this tour, we’re going home, and they’re staying here in Japan, in THEIR homes. He doesn’t want you getting hurt, none of us do, and you falling for him like this is going to murder your heart.”

“That would make a good lyric line or album title.” Jayne muttered.

“What would?”

“Murder Your Heart.”

“Are you even listening to what I’m trying to say? This isn’t going to work long-term! You think it’s all going to be okay dating someone in a different country?”

“What if we visit?”

“You’re going to fly to Japan to visit your boyfriend?”

Jayne went silent as a few tears filled her eyes.

“Look, I’m not saying this can’t happen. Hell, I’ll even cover for you two to have some ‘alone time’. I WANT this to happen for you, you deserve to have this! What I’m saying, is don’t let it kill you when you have to say goodbye. Okay?”

Jane was still silent.

“Tonight we are all going out to dinner. ALL of us, the bands, the management, and Shinya told us that they talked to some big wigs and got a rep from the label they are signed to, to come out as well. He was in the audience, and is coming to dinner to see about having Akuma release some stuff here. After dinner, I’ll screw around and see what I can do to get you two alone for a while.”

“Thanks, Mei. You’re the best.”

“I know I am. I only have one rule. Condoms. You HAVE to use one or I’ll cut it off of him and beat you half to death with it.” She explained seriously.

It took everything Jayne had not to laugh, but she agreed and hugged her friend before going out to watch the last song of Dir en Grey’s set, which was their new song that she had been listening to for the last few days over, and over, and over again. Somehow it wasn’t as annoying as it was at Kaoru’s. They seemed more into it, which made the song sound a thousand times better. As always, she could FEEL their music, instead of just hearing it.

“Wow this is awkward.” Drew hissed a few hours later as they all sat around the table together for dinner. It was a HUGE table, with countless dishes on a spinning section in the middle. Looking around him, he only recognized Dir en Grey, their manager, Robert, his band, and Carl.

“Yeah… the next big dinner, we go to McDonalds, where I know what is on the table.” Dex laughed quietly before sitting in silence again. No one was speaking, or eating, they were all just sitting quietly and looking around at each other.

Suddenly Mei started giggling quietly, trying very hard to control herself, but it wasn’t helping at all and slowly Die ended up laughing with her, or more at her. “What is wrong with you two?” Shinya demanded quietly as everyone stared at the two giggling musicians. “Nothing, sorry. I’m very sorry.” She answered, clearing her throat and looking at her empty plate, avoiding everyone’s eyes as Die also forced himself to stop laughing.

Seconds later, however, she was giggling again.

“Mei,” Robert warned sternly, making her shake her head and apologize again before leaning over and whispering something to Jayne, who closed her eyes and tried very hard not to laugh with her.

“Since there is obviously a joke none of us have heard before, please, share it with us.” Robert ordered, making both girls laugh much harder as Jayne volunteered to explain things.

“It’s called a giggle loop, or stack.” She began, forcing her laughter down, “In serious situations, often in silence, occasionally you start to think of something funny that makes you want to laugh. You know it would be wrong to laugh, so you decide against it. But then you want to laugh because you are thinking of what would happen if someone started laughing in that situation. You can’t laugh, but it makes you want to laugh more, and it continues to stack. Those with very strong control can prevent their laughter, but Mei and I don’t have that skill. We are both very, deeply sorry.” She explained in Japanese, making Dex and Robert stare her down.

“Giggle loop!” Drew explained, making Dex chuckle and Robert shake his head, giving the girls The Look.

“You find this to be a stern situation?” one of the men Akuma had never seen before questioned.

“With all due respect, most of you we’ve never met before. We aren’t very experienced in Japanese culture, and are constantly worried about doing something offensive without knowing it. That alone makes most situations more stressful than they need to be, or should have been. Also, it’s a very awkward position we are all in when you look at it from out point of view. Here we all are, a large group of people at a huge table of more food than I’ve ever seen put out at once, and none of us are eating. We aren’t speaking, we aren’t moving, and we’re all just looking at each other blankly and silently. That right there begins the giggle stack.” Drew explained.

Several people nodded their understanding, but silence still followed.

Once they actually started eating, things became worse for Akuma. Most of what was on that table they hadn’t eaten before. Tochikura’s never served these dishes, because they weren’t popular in the US.

“Kaoru, what is this?” Drew questioned after trying one of the many new dishes to him.

“I will tell you after we leave.” He nodded quietly.

Drew shook his head and put his chopsticks down.

“Drew, eat what’s on your plate or I WILL kick you.” Mei hissed, refusing to allow her band to do anything that could be seen as rude. It was bad enough that they suffered the giggle loop early on.

“Mama,” Ray whispered, looking down at his plate with wide eyes at the small squid that had been placed out for him, “It looks sad.” He pouted. Dex made a slight whimpering noise and forced down the bite he had just taken before looking shamefully at his own plate while Jayne sighed. “Should we put it back in the water? It will be happy then with its family!”

“Honey,” Jayne sighed sadly as Robert, Drew, and Mei looked at them with as much sadness in their eyes as she had. The others at the table who were unable to understand their hushed English looked on with confusion until Robert had Carl translate.

“He thinks the squid is still alive, and wants to put it back into the water because the eyes look sad to him; he believes it’s because the squid misses its family.”

Several nods were given as a response, but nothing else while Jayne tried to figure out a way to explain to her son that the animal was dead.

“You know how we eat chickens, and cows, and fishes, because we need them as food to survive?” she asked, receiving a curious nod from her son, “Well, the same thing happens with squids, and octopus, and other animals.” She explained.

“They killed it?” he asked sadly, breaking her heart with the tears that filled his eyes when he looked back at the cooked dead thing on his plate. Carl again explained what was happening, and Shinya shook his head before leaning closer to the troubled child.

“They didn’t just kill it. The squid gave up his life so that you may eat it and grow big and strong, and healthy. His eyes aren’t sad at all, look,” he explained, turning the plate slightly, “They are happy, because he is able to help you grow to be strong.”

“Wow he’s good.” Drew muttered to Mei, who nodded slowly.

“So I can protect Mama?”

“Exactly.”

Ray nodded and took a bite of the small squid, cringing at the taste. “I gotta eat him so he can be happy, right Mama?” he frowned.

“Don’t talk with your mouth full. And yes.” She sighed, trying not to laugh as he forced himself to eat the squid. She wasn’t a fan of it either, but after Shinya’s explanation, she felt guilty letting any animal at the table go to waste.

A few more hours passed, and the atmosphere had finally changed. Though it was still somewhat formal, everyone was getting along and laughing with each other. Most of the ice breaking was done by bad translations by Carl, and worse by Mei while she laughed at the confusion.

“I’m very sorry to bring this up, but shouldn’t you be getting back to the hotel? You have to call Tochikura-san tonight, and it’ll be getting late soon.” Mei announced, looking to Jayne who held a second of confusion before nodding that she had completely forgotten, and stood before bowing her goodbyes to the others at the table.

“Kyo, maybe you should make sure she gets there safely. With what has happened the last few days, I think it would be for the best to keep her from being alone.” Kaoru added, nodding as his friend stood up and also bowed out of the dinner before walking her out.

“He’s not angry?” she asked shyly as they quickly made their way to the hotel.

“Of course not. I thought he would be at first, but on our way to the stage after he caught us, his only orders and concerns were that I didn’t hurt you. I already promised you that I wouldn’t let that happen, so now everything is perfect. The management and crew have no idea, and the fans can’t know… other than that it’s all right.”

She just nodded and led him to the room she was staying in for the night.

“You never charged your phone. Use mine.” He nodded once the door was closed.

“You know that was a lie, don’t you? Mei wanted to get us some time alone together.” She giggled, wrapping her arms around his hips and holding their bodies close together.

He just grinned and walked her over to the bed after reaching behind him and locking the door.

At the dinner, things were still going great until Dex decided to make Ray laugh by sticking the chopsticks up his nose. Ray did giggle, but everyone else found no amusement in his actions. Mei hit him as hard as she could in the back of the head, scolding him as the others watched her, but her face went white when blood started running down the side of one of the sticks.

Dex shouted a string of curse words in both English, and surprisingly good Japanese, before trying to pull the stick out, but it was lodged in and causing severe pain.

Ray was trying not to cry while watching in terror as Robert jumped up and started going into his usual parental manager mode, and Drew was looking with wide deer-in-headlights eyes at the others at the table.

Kyo had Jayne’s shirt undone and tossed into the corner beside his, and was in the process of kissing his way down her neck and along her bra-line, coaxing short moans and gasps from her as she tried to keep her composure, when her phone rang.

“Don’t stop,” she pleaded, reaching up and grabbing the phone, flipping it open only long enough to answer before closing it again and hanging up. He had no complaints against her actions as he continued working his way around her neck and chest until he found what he was looking for.

“Kyo,” she gasped as he bit her sweet spot, making her arch back and moan as her body pressed against his during his merciless attack on that one spot, however they were once again interrupted by her phone ringing. She simply turned it off and flipped Kyo onto his back, catching him off guard.

“I’m not very good at this,” she sighed after a while of kissing randomly over any exposed flesh.

“That is a lie,” he muttered while lightly running his hands up her sides, to her back, and finally unhooking her bra, “You’re doing just fine.” He grinned before flipping her onto her back again.

At that point he slowed down, knowing that she wasn’t ready to go any farther, and had never been so exposed to someone willingly before as he caressed her shoulders and arms, keeping his eyes on hers when he wasn’t kissing her lips and neck.

Suddenly his phone rang, and after a string of curses he answered.

“What is it?” he demanded, instantly getting worried when he heard Ray crying in the background, and Mei and Drew arguing over blood and hospitals.

“It’s Robert, he needs to speak with you.” He explained, handing Jayne the phone and going to gather their clothing.

“He WHAT?! Robert! … Yes, fine yeah! … we’re on our way, just… shit! Shit what if he can’t… oh Jesus shit!” she panicked before hanging up and tearing her clothes from Kyo’s hands, tossing his phone to him while grabbing her shoes.

“Calm down, what happened?” he asked, catching her by the arm and trying to get her to breathe properly.

“Dex is in the hospital!”

“Why? What happened?”

“He has a chopstick stuck in his nose!” she shouted, still panicking, and only getting pissed off when he started laughing hysterically.

“I’m sorry. This isn’t funny… not at all. This is a serious matter, and there is no reason to be laughing if your friend is in the hospital.” He sighed, clearing his throat and shaking his head.

She just huffed and stormed out of the room with him close behind.

“With chopsticks in his nose,” she heard him muttering behind her as she nearly ran through the hotel to get to her friend in his time of need.
♠ ♠ ♠
Feedback please? I really need it!!