Warriors of the Heavens

Chapter 3

The following day, after all of her chores and doing exactly as her parents asked she approached her father. “Father?” her voice came out a little shaky, timid and unsure.

“Yes, Ayano. What is it?”

“I wanted to know if, um,” she looked down and shuffled her feet chewing on her bottom lip, “I could have some alterations done on the practice sword you gave me?”

Her father looked at her a little skeptically before nodding, “Yes, you may. Consider it a birthday gift.”

Her face brightened as he spoke and she flung her arms around him squeezing tightly, “Thank you Daddy! Thank you! I love you!” She kissed his cheek and raced off dancing around outside like a child. His face flushes and he smiles warmly at her for the first time in years. He watched her dance through the yard and tears began to well up in his eyes. Turning away and retreating to the room he shares with his wife he cries. In happiness, sadness, or for no reason he is not sure. Unable to restrain them the tears continued to flow like a river swollen to expand beyond its normal boundaries. Images of his daughter from her younger years flooded his mind. The sharp tongue and wit didn’t exist back then and she was always caring and didn’t lose her temper quite as easily.