I'm Sorry for That Night

I'm Sorry for That Night

I walked down the crowded streets of Los Angeles, the misty air hitting my face as I walked towards the building I lived in. I ducked inside as the wind picked up to hear a friendly voice. “Good evening Miss Ashley.” Bernie, the friendly, old doorman greeted me. I smiled. “Good evening Bernie. Long day?” I asked. He nodded. “Same as usual Miss. How’s the new album coming along?” he asked in reply. “Finished it today; it comes out in a week.” I answered. He smiled. “That’s good, I can’t wait to get my copy. Say, where’s that young man who used to come around here all the time? He hasn’t shown up in months.” He stated. I felt a sharp pain in my chest and the tears lt up in my soft blue-grey eyes. “He’s been busy.” I hesitated to answer. “Oh well, that’s a shame. Anyways I’ll let you go Miss Ashley, you look awfully tired.” Bernie said to me, concern in his voice. “I’m fine Bernie, but Goodnight. Say hello to Sarah for me.” I say to him. “I will. Goodnight Miss.” He replied before I walked towards the elevators.

As the elevator doors closed, I backed up against the wall and felt the tears start to fall down my face. When the doors opened again, I hurried to my apartment so that I could unleash the pain that ached my heart. I unlocked the door and stepped into the dark, lonely apartment that I once shared with my best friend Eve who had moved in with her boyfriend Taylor in November, about a month before every thing had fallen apart. But I have noone to blame but myself. Maybe I should explain. My name is Ashley Elizabeth Wells, and I’m twenty years old. As you’ve probably noticed, I am also a singer releasing my new album, Confessions of the Heart in a little less then a week. Today, I recorded the last track for it called Back to December; it’s about my exboyfriend, how we ended, and how I feel about it now. How do I feel about it, you wonder? We fell apart, and it’s my entire fault.

I walked into my bedroom and flipped on the light. The blue and brown scheme of the room that normally brought comfort made me feel cold and alone. I lay on my bed and caught sight of a picture I thought I had put away. I sat up and lifted the picture from my bedside table. As I gazed at the photo, I ran my fingers over his face. He was smiling and so was I; the picture had been taken at my fifteenth birthday, a few months after we began dating. Those were the days before the fame, before all the insecurity. Remembering the happy times brought the tears back to my eyes just as my cell phone began to ring from my pocketbook. I stood up and crossed the room to my dresser, taking the iPhone out of my favorite Juicy bag.
“Hello?” I asked shakily, not bothering to check the caller ID. “Bella? It’s Eve. What’s wrong?” my best friend and ex-roomie asked. Before I could stop myself, I burst into tears. “I miss him, I miss him so much. Evie, what have I done?” I sobbed, burying my face in my hands while on the phone with her. “OH Babygirl! I’m coming over, I’ll be there in ten minutes okay?” she asked. “Okay.” I replied quietly, sniffling before she hung up. I tossed the phone on my bed and made my way out to the kitchen. Sure enough, ten minutes later there was a knock on my door. I walked towards the door wearing my favorite black sweats and one of his old hoodies. I opened the door to see my four best friends standing there, looks of concern on their faces. “Oh Ash.” Nick whispered as he hugged me tight. He may have been eighteen, but the kid was at least six inches taller than me. I buried my face in his embrace before he let go. Once he released me, we walked into my living room followed by Eve, Taylor, and Lexi, Nick’s girlfriend.

We had been sitting in the living room for about two minutes when Kevin walked in with Danielle, his wife of nearly a year. “Sorry we couldn’t find parking.” He said before looking at me. His facial expression changed as I ran into his open arms and just sobbed into his chest.From the moment we had met when I was eleven, Kevin had been the big brother I never had. “Shh, Ash, calm down. It’s okay. It’s all going to be okay.” He cooed to me as he held me tight, stroking my long, dirty blonde hair. I pulled away abruptly as soon as he said those words. “NO! It’s not going to be okay! It’s never going to be okay.” I cried. My six friends watched me with careful eyes, not knowing what to say. “It’s all my fault we broke up. I pushed him away. I let my fear of losing him push him away from me. I let my pride get the best of me.” I ranted. “And because of all that, I lost the only man I have ever and probably will ever love.” I finished. They looked at me, worried looks on their faces as if not knowing what to say.

“Ash, we had no idea you were hurting this much.” Dani whispered. “We were together for nearly five years. This passed March 23rd would have been five years. It’s October now and nothing has happened.” I whispered as the tears continued to fall. “Bella, he’s hurting just as much as you are, maybe more.” Tay said of his best friend. I shook my head. “No he’s not. According to People!, he’s dating Ashley Greene.” I replied tearfully. “Well, he isn’t dating her. Ashley, he’s our brother; we’d know if he was dating anyone.” Kevin said. Nick nodded in agreement. “All he does now is wallow around and stare at pictures of the two of you. Ash, he still loves you.” Nick added. I shook my head. “Guys, it’s been ten months. It’s really over. Listen, in two weeks I’m having a concert at the Kodak. I’d really like it if you all could be there.” I said, sniffling a bit as my tears receeded. “We’ll be there baby girl; the six of us wouldn’t miss it for the world.” Lexi and Eve replied, speaking for the rest of the group. I gave a small smile as the rest nodded in approval. “Thanks guys.” I said as they all hugged me tight. I have the best friends in the world.

Two Weeks Later

My album came out last week and within the first few days, over 500,000 copies had been sold. Tonight was the night of the concert and the night I would perform my newest single, Back to December. I was nervous, wondering what my fans would think of it. I had performed nearly all of the new songs, plus a few old ones and they seemed to get positive feedback from the audience, especially from my bestfriends, all seated in the front row. There was an empty seat beside them, but that was for the extra ticket, the one I always saved in case he showed up. It was the spot he would always be in if he surprised me at a show. However, I knew this wasn’t happening tonight…But anyway, so far the songs I had sung were about friendships and growing up, and falling in love for the very first time. But this song was going to be different; it was the song about him.

Anyway, throughout the concert, I have been seeing him everywhere. First he was sitting by stage right about 3-4 rows back. Next, he was stitting by stage left about five rows back. The stranger had a striking resmblence to the one I really wanted to be there. But it couldn’t be him anyway. He’s been in New Jersey visiting family for the past few weeks, visiting his family. I shake off the feeling of discertainty as I step back onto the stage. The crowd cheers as I walked back towards center stage, taking my spotlight. I smiled and waved as they cheered for me. Once they quieted down, I began to speak. “Now this last song is based off of a very personal experience and as you all may know the passed ten months havent been exactly the easiest time for me. The song speaks for itself but I want to dedicate it to someone who I owe an apology too. I jus twan to let him know how sorry I am for the way that I acted and to let him know that even though it’s been almost a year, that I still love him and that I hope he can find it in his heart to forgive me. So here’s the new hit, Back to December.” I said as I strummed the guitars.

I’m so glad you made time to see me
How’s life? Tell me how’s your family?
I haven't seen them in a while
You’ve been good, busier than ever
Small talk, work and the weather
Your guard is up and I know why
Because the last time you saw me
Still burns in the back of your mind
You gave me roses and I left them there to die


The crowd seemed to like the song and I tried to put as much emotion as I could into it without bursting into tears. As I sang, I looked into the crowd for any sign of him, but no luck. I remember the last time I saw him, his guard was up and I knew exactly why; it was all my fault.

So this is me swallowing my pride
Standin’ in front of you saying ‘I’m sorry for that night’
And I go Back to December all the time
It turns out freedom ain’t nothing but missin’ you
Wishin’ I’d realized what I had when you were mine
And I go Back to December
Turn around and make it alright
I go Back to December all the time


The chorus really got to me, but I kept it together. Still no sight of him. I defintely must be going crazy. The audience swayed to the slow beat of the song while my six best friends looked up at m, knowing who I had written the song for.

These days I haven’t been sleeping
Staying up, playing back myself leaving
When your birthday passed and I didn’t call
And I think about summer, all the beautiful times
I watched you laughing from the passenger side
And realized tI loved you in the fall
And then the cold came and dark days
When fear crept into my mind
You gave me all your love
And all I gave you was goodbye


I thought about how I havent been sleeping lately, because I keep replaying the night I ended everything and me leaving him ten months ago. I didn’t even call him on his twenty first birthday two months ago. I remember spending my summers with him, driving everywhere as we laughed about everything. We’d been dating a year and a half when I realized that I was in love with him. It was a brisk fall day in New York City and we were walking through Central Park, my favorite spot in the whole city. But then fast forward three years after that; the cold came and I was fearing the love we shared wouldn’t survive our careers. He gave me all his love but I left him with goodbye…

So this is me swallowing my prode
Standin’ in front of you saying ‘I’m sorry for that night’
And I go Back to December all the time
It turns out freedom ain’t nothing but missin’ you
Wishin’ I’d realized what I had when you were mine
And I’d go Back to December
Turn around and change my own mind
I go Back to December all the time


I looked out into the crowd again and see noone that holds a resemblence to him. I’m just driving myself crazy. I wish I could go back to that cold, dark December night and just change my mind about leaving. I know that being single is supposed to mean freedom, but so far it’s been nothing but missing him every second of the day. If I could, I’d walk up to him right now and tell him Im sorry for everything. I looked into the audience once more and that’s when I saw him again.

I miss your tan skin, your sweet smile, so good to me, so right,
And how you held me in your arms that September night,
The first time you ever saw me cry.
Maybe this is wishful thinking,
Probably mindless dreaming
If we loved again I swear I'd love you right.
I'd go back in time and change it but I can't
So if the chain is on your door, I understand


I sang the bridge with so much emotion that people in different countries could feel it. I miss everything about him; he was so good to me. One September night, he held me safe and close in his arms as I cried. It was the first time he’d ever seen me cry. I remember those times and I yearn for them to come back. But it’s probably just me day dreaming. I know that I didn’t love him the right way, but if I was given a second chance, I’d love him right. IF I could go back in time and change things I would, but I cant. I look up after singing the bridge to find the ‘stranger’ gone. I sighed to myself before continuing. I must be going crazy is what I kept telling myself.

But this is me swallowing my pride,
Standing in front of you saying I'm sorry for that night,
And I go back to December.
Turns out freedom ain't nothing but missing you,
Wishing that I realized what I had when you were mine.
I'd go back to December turn around and make it alright.
I'd go back to December turn around and change my own mind.
I go back to December all the time.


I finished the song and looked up, tears in my eyes as the audience and my six best friends cheered. As I took my bows, I scanned the theatre for the figure that looked like the man I was in love with; but no such luck. When I got off the stage, I hung my head low as I changed and walked out of the dressing room towards my car. I found flowers and cards from my best friends on the windshield and even a ‘good luck’ was scribbled in his handwriting on to a card. I smiled lightly before wiping my eyes and getting in the car to drive home. When I parked, I sent a mass text to Kevin, Dani, Nick, Lexi, Taylor, and Eve to thank them for showing up and for being so supportive before I went inside.

“Ms. Ashley, how was the show?” Bernie asked as I walked in. I tried to hide the fact that I had been crying. “Amazing; the fans loved the new matierial.” I reply sweetly. He smiled at me and hugged me. “Congratulations. Now you go up and sleep. But before I forget, there’s someone waiting for you upstairs.” He said to me. I looked at him confused. “Did they say who they were?” I asked before going to the elevator. He shook his head. “Only that he was here to see you. I checked him for anything harmful and he had nothing on him.” Bernie replied. I smiled. “Thank you Bernie.” I said as I went onto the elevator. When I reached my floor, anxuous to see who was coming, like I didn’t know.

As the elevator doors opened, I saw a male figure with his back turned to me. However, I’d know the back of that head anywhere and I felt the breath get caught in my throat as I walked towards my apartment. “Joe, what are you doing here?” I softly asked my ex boyfriend. He flinched as he turned to face me, his brown eyes staring into my blue-grey ones. He looked at handsome as ever except for the dark circles under his eyes. “Ashley, it’s been a while. You look beautiful.” He complimented, completely avoiding the question. I blushed and thought to myself that it was amazing that he could still have that power over me. “Would you like to come inside?” I asked him kindly. He nodded and moved to the side, allowing me to unlock the door.

We stepped inside and I hung my light jacket up before he followed me to the kitchen. “So…” I said awkwardly. “So…” he replied as the room filled with silence. “Joe, why are you here?” I asked him softly. He looked up at me. “Because I came to see how you were. I came to talk to you. Do you know how hard I’ve had it these past ten months Ashley? Bellaboo…” he said, using the nickname only he called me by. “And you think it’s been so easy for me Joe? Don’t you think that the only thing that’s been on my mind since I left was how stupid my decision was? Don’t you think I realize it was all my fault?” I said to him, my heart aching with each word as I felt the tears fill my eyes once more and I turned my back to him. I felt him behind me as he gently turned me around. I immediately collapsed in his strong arms, sobbing into his chest.

“Joe, I’m so sorry. I love you so much, and I blew it last December and I’ve been a complete mess since then. I haven’t been able to move on from you Joe. I saw you everywhere, even tonight at the concert.” I sobbed. He rubbed my back and hushed me. “Bellaboo, I love you and I always will. You know I could never let you go completely even if I tried.” He replied softly. I felt my heart slowly piece back together. “Ashley, I love you.” He whispered once before kissing me gently and ever so passionarely. We pulled away and he smileed. “Oh and that man tonight? That was me. The song was all the apology that I didn’t need; you were forgiven the day you left.” He replied cheekily. I smiled and kissed him once more. “I love you so much Joe.” I said. He smiled and kissed my forehead. “I love you too Bellaboo, please be mine again?” he asked. I nodded and hugged him as we heard a chorus of ‘aws’ from the hallway.

“It’s about time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!” Lexi shouted happily as everyone else laughed. I looked up at Joe and once again, I felt happy. I felt like I had everything I would ever need in my life. I had my friends, career, fans, and most importantly, the man I love standing by my side once more. Life is good.

10 years later

It’s been ten years since Joe and I have gotten back together and life couldn’t be any better. Kevin and Danielle Jonas (33&34) have been married for eleven years and are the parents of three beautiful children; Paul Kevin III (7), Emma Grace (4), and Thomas Jared (2). Taylor and Eve Lautner (28&27) have been married for six years and have two adorable children; Gianna Mackenzie & Aaron Daniel (5). Eve is pregnant with a little girl they plan to name Rebecca Nicole. Nick and Alexis Jonas (28&26) have been married for two years and are expecting a baby girl, Wendy Marie in just three weeks. As for me and Joe, I became Mrs. Joe Jonas a year and two months after we reunited on a beautiful December day. We’ve been married for nine years and have six amazing children; Jacob Philip & Kate Marie (8), Lauren Faith (6 – she was born two months before Eve & Taylor’s wedding), Logan Michael (3), and our newest editions, Addison Rose & Zander Nicholas (2 months). I’m glad I wrote that song for Joe; if I didn’t I pobably never would have gotten him back.