Blitz

Movies

“Maybe I'm your Mr. Right, baby. Maybe I'm the one you like. Maybe I'm a shot in the dark, and you're the morning light.”

Sophie awoke to the ringing of her phone.

With heavy-lidded eyes, she felt around her night stand.

She picked it up and brought it close to her face.

Eli repeatedly blinked on the screen.

“’Ello?” Sophie grumbled.

“Hey, morning sleepy head. I just wanted to let you know that you overslept and Cooper is getting ready to leave.”

“Shit, I’ll be right down!”

Sophie bolted out of the bed and ran down the stairs to the foyer.

She threw open the door and ran down the sidewalk towards the awaiting Mannings.

When Sophie reached them, Olive and Archie quirked an eyebrow at her and hid a smile behind their hands.

Quickly looking down, Sophie realized that she was dressed in her tight black tank top and short sleep pants.

Blushing, she tried to speak but quickly stammered responses.

“I just woke up.”

They quickly nodded and moved up to the porch, as Cooper made his way to the car.

Cooper’s eyes grew bright when he saw Sophie standing there in her sleep wear.

His cheeks flushed and he bowed his head.

“Hey you! I’m surprised to see you made it out of bed, in time to see me leave, that is.”

“Yeah, yeah, yeah.”

He reached out and placed a hand on her arm.

“It was really good seeing you, Sophia.”

She glared at him, “Don’t call me Sophia.”

“You always amaze me, Sophie. You really do.” He replied, his eyes sparkling.

Her cheeks went red, “Well Coop, there is more to me these days. I’m not the girl who plays with Barbie’s anymore.”

Cooper chuckled, “You’re right. Now you just play with the boy’s hearts.”

Sophie stared at him.

He placed a hand on her cheek, and swooped down, lightly kissing her other cheek, “Stay in touch?”

She nodded, and as they separated, the rest of the family stepped out of the house.

“Alright Cooper, are you ready to head home?” Archie asked, placing the last of Cooper’s luggage into the trunk.

Cooper nodded.

Archie turned to Eli and Peyton.

“What are the rules?”

“No parties, no drinking, and no drugs. The only person allowed over is Sophia.”

Archie smiled, “Alright. Liv, we need to go.”

Olivia ran out of the house, “Don’t rush me Archie. Sophia dear, please tell your parents that we left early to go grocery shopping.”

Sophie nodded, “Of course.”

Olivia kissed her boys before getting in the car.

The three waved as the car pulled away from the curb and disappeared down the street.

“Um, Sophie… you might want to go put some clothes on.” Eli stated, staring at her.

She causally flipped him off and turned towards her house, “I’ll see you two later.”
_________________________________________________________
At six o’clock, Sophie found herself saying goodbye to her as they set off to the resort with Olivia and Archie.

They too made her promise that there would be no parties while they were away.

Satisfied with her response, Mark and Deborah kissed her goodbye and drove off.

Sophie climbed her porch steps and sat on the swing.

Gently moving back and forth in the light breeze, she closed her eyes and soon her breathing fell into the rhythm of the swing.

Hearing the porch creak, she raised an eyebrow and opened her eye.

“Hey.”

Sophie smiled, “Hi Pey.”

He sat next to her, “Hey, I was wondering... what are you up to tonight?”

She shrugged, “Um, not sure. Why?”

“Well, I was wondering.. I mean, we were wondering if you’d like to do a movie marathon tonight.”

She turned to him and laughed, “Sure, sounds like fun.”

“Alright, we’re going to order pizza. Want anything special?”

“Buffalo Chicken?”

Peyton smiled, “Of course. My favorite kind.”

He jumped off the swing and extended a hand to her.

She took it and they made their way down the porch and headed next door.

“Eli, we’re going to order pizza, okay?”

He yelled up the stairs.

When Eli didn’t respond, Peyton shrugged and walked into the kitchen.

Sophie grabbed at a chair and placed herself at the counter.

Peyton picked up the phone and dialed.

“Hello, I’d like to place an order.”

Sophie placed her head on her hand and sighed.

Peyton made a face at her and smiled.

“Hey, Sophie.”

She turned around to see Eli standing behind her, towel drying his hair.

“What’s going on?”

“Peyton’s ordering pizza, and we’re going to have a movie marathon.”

Eli nodded, “Sounds like a fun time.”

Sophie smiled up at him, “Of course it does!”

He sat down next to her.

Sophie kept her eyes ahead of her, occasionally locking eyes with Peyton, who smiled and went back to pacing the kitchen.

“Alright,” Peyton said, hanging up the phone and placing it on the counter, “I ordered three large pizzas and two bottles of soda. It should be here in about half an hour.”

“You ordered how many?!”

Sophie cried, her jaw dropping.

“Well, Eli and I are growing boys. I mean hell; I’m 6’5, Fee.” Peyton replied.

Eli chuckled behind his hand, earning him a death glare and a smack on the arm.

“Ouch!”

Peyton rolled his eyes, “Well, while we wait, let’s go to the den.”

Sophie slumped from her chair and followed the boys to the den.

They flopped onto couch and Eli lazily turned on the TV.

He flicked through the channels and came upon a football special on ESPN.

Sophie groaned as the boy locked into the game clips, and leaned forward in their seats.

Staring at the TV in boredom, Eli nudged her when the doorbell rang.

“Fee, can you get that for us?” Peyton said, handing her money from his wallet.

She stood and purposely walked in front of the TV, causing the boys to yell at her.

When she answered the door, she handed the delivery man the forty dollars Peyton gave her, plus a ten dollar tip.

She closed the door behind him, and carefully carried the pizza’s into the kitchen.

Sophie grabbed three paper plates from the cabinet, and opened the pizza boxes.

“Hey, I smell pizza!” Eli shouted from the den.

Footsteps were heard racing up the stairs, and soon they both had two slices of pizza on their plates.

“God, this is so good!” Eli groaned, through a mouthful of food.

Sophie shot him a disgusted look and slowly chewed her food.

They stood in the kitchen and ate their dinner in silence.

“Alright, I’m ready to watch some movies.” Peyton said, clapping his hands together.

They each grabbed a pizza box and brought them down to the den.

Eli grabbed a movie from the shelf and held it up for Peyton and Sophie to see.

“Oh, we are definitely watching Monty Python!” Sophie said, smiling.

As the title credits rolled, they sat back in their seats and were soon quoting every line of the movie.
_____________________________________________
When the movie was nearing the halfway point, Sophie readjusted herself and noticed that Eli had gotten up, but hadn’t returned.

She lightly nudged Peyton, who turned to her and smiled, “I’m still awake, Fee.”

“Good. Eli disappeared.” She said, pointing over her shoulder.

“Yeah, you know he gets bored watching movies.”

Peyton sat up and hit the pause button, and reached for a piece of pizza.

He scowled at the box and leaned back, empty handed.

“Now what? Want to watch something else?”

Sophie closed her eyes and smiled, “Sure.”

“How about Super Troopers?”

She covered her face, “Oh god. I haven’t watched that in ages.”

“Let’s put it in then.”

Peyton stuck the DVD into the player and retook his seat.

Sophie yawned and placed her head on Peyton’s shoulder, and he put his arm around her.

Half an hour later, Peyton’s arm fell asleep and he tried to shake it awake.

“Mmm.” Sophie moaned, readjusting herself onto Peyton’s chest.

“Do you want to lay down?”

Sophie shook her head, “No, I’m comfortable… if you are, that is.”

He smiled down at her, “I’m fine. Hey, let me get a pillow.”

He placed it on his lap, and Sophie stretched out, sighing in content.
_____________________________________________________
Sophie could feel herself being shaken, and her eyes immediately shot open.

Eli was standing over her and Peyton.

“Hey you two… It’s almost one, you should go to bed.”

Peyton stirred and groaned, “Yeah, thanks Eli. Lets clean up quickly and we can get Sophie settled in upstairs.”

They gathered the boxes and brought them into the kitchen.

Peyton placed the leftovers in the fridge and Eli put the boxes into the trash.

“Alright, we can get the rest in the morning.”

Eli had left the kitchen and when Peyton and Sophie made it upstairs, Eli’s door was shut, and his light was off.

Peyton rolled his eyes and walked into his room.

He dug through his dresser and pulled out a pair of sleep pants and handed them to Sophie, “Here… Um, you can sleep in here. I’ll sleep in Cooper’s room.”

Sophie frowned, “You sure?”

Peyton rolled his eyes, “Yes, I’m sure. Now go to bed. I’ll see you in the morning.”

He closed the door behind him and Sophie stripped out of her jeans and into his pants.

She turned off the lights and crawled into Peyton’s bed.