Hello, Can You Please Stop Haunting Me?

Epilogue.

Zach woke up with a sudden jolt from his dream. A soft, knitted blanket covered his lower body and he was on the couch, the TV was still on from last night. He let out a big sigh of relief before looking towards his sleeping girlfriend curled up in a ball next to him. He must’ve fallen asleep in the middle of their movie marathon.

It was almost a year since he saw Eliza crying almost every single day of that entire couple of weeks. Zach didn’t saw her cry most of the times but he knew from the way her voice trembled slightly over the phone, her slightly red eyes when he met her and her sudden quietness over the weeks that she was obviously upset about Jeremy. To make matters worse, Valerie Keeton who shocked the graduating class when she was given the title of valedictorian rambled on and on about how sad she was that her boyfriend, Jeremy Pike, wasn’t with them that day.

As Zach recalled, things between Valerie and Jeremy was just a fling.

He was there for Eliza. At least, he tried his best to. And gradually, Eliza felt better as she was forced to accept the fact that Jeremy was gone and was probably happy. She placed the sweet memories with Jeremy in a box in her mind. What dear memories they were.

Zach remembered the days he spent with her falling asleep in his arms after a good cry or two. She began to regain her cheerfulness as soon as she got the offer from UCLA. As for Zach, he already applied to USC months before and got accepted.

“Zach,” Eliza groaned. “What time is it?”

“Seven in the morning,” he answered.

“What are you doing up so early then?” She asked, her voice croaky.

“Can’t I?”

“It’s a crime to wake up early on weekends,” she said, sounding so serious that Zach couldn’t help it but to laugh.

“I still got to go to the campus. Meeting a couple of my friends there for breakfast.”

“Mmkay,” she mumbled.

“You’re coming with me, remember?” He asked, smirking.

“Oh. Poo.”

As they walked down the street to get coffee first, Eliza bumped into someone. At first, she didn’t give a thought about it much but for some reason, her instincts told her to look around. So she did. The man she bumped into kept walking into the crowd but he did glance at her surreptitiously, smiled and winked.

When he turned around to walk again, Eliza swore she could see a pair of luminous, almost invisible outline of wings behind him.

“Jeremy?” She whispered under her breath, her eyes widened. But the man had already disappeared into the crowded street. Zach was a couple of feet away from her when he called out her name.

“Eliza,” he said, looking curious. “What’s wrong?”

She turned around, smiling. “Nothing,” she called out, running towards him and clinging to his arm. “I just thought I saw someone I knew very well.”

“Who?”

“Just…someone,” she replied, smiling wistfully.

Unbeknownst to everyone in the world, the man was sitting on a branch of a tree. One of his legs dangled freely and he rested his chin on his other knee. His eyes twinkled with life and on his back was a pair of wings. An unexpected happiness burst in his heart when he saw Zach and Eliza walking side by side, obviously smitten with each other.

He closed his eyes, a smile plastered across his face. When he reopened them, his head was tilted up to the bright sky.

Everyone was happy. Everyone was fine.

It was time for him to go home again.

In the next minute, Jeremy vanished.
♠ ♠ ♠
For those of you who wants to know a wee bit more of what happened to the trio, well here you go: the epilogue :D And with this, the story has ended. I felt as if everyone needed their happy endings.

P/S: To avoid confusion, Jeremy won't be returning again. In a way, he was just checking to see if everyone was alright. Lalala~

Thanks for reading, and all of the comments! :D